GoAntenna Cell Antenna - Anybody using or seen these?

ramatl73

Observer
Curious if anybody is using or has experience with something similar?

GoTenna has developed a 6-inch-long antenna that connects to iPhones and Android phones via Bluetooth low energy. The antenna then transmits the data to other GoTennas through proprietary protocols, at 151-154 MHz. You can send text messages up to 160 characters as well as share your location on offline maps.

http://www.gotenna.com/index

20140730-002941.jpg

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
This could be a great thing.
Up camping with the girl friend or wife, and found a hot fishing spot on the other side of the lake. Unfortunately, it's lunch time, and the "chef" is in camp. Just send a quick text:

"Urgent! Stuck in hole, other side of lake. Hungry and thirsty, Bring beer and sandwiches quick!"

Just make sure you've got the keys to the vehicle! :elkgrin:

Having voice communications may not be so convincing, especially when she starts asking... "what hole?"

ramatl73

Observer
After reading more into it, nevermind. Four miles at high altitude max range. I'd be better with a standard CB.

whitenoise

Adventurer
This device brings up an interesting possibility. This is basically an SDR transceiver with some kind of proprietary encryption built in and with a nice GUI wrapped around it in the form of a mobile app. It's not inconceivable to think that one day the typical HAM mobile radio would be replaced by something that looks like this, uses your tablet or phone as a front end, and hooks up to an inexpensive external amp and antenna. I wonder if such devices already exist at a reasonable price point??

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The Kenwood 2000 is pretty close to this with Sky Command, only instead of a smart phone it requires either a hand talkie or mobile. Since Cell frequency range is restricted, not sure it could be opened up for use in this fashion, but the question may not have been asked as a proposal to the FCC...
There is also Echolink which does have a very cool app. :)

prerunner1982

Adventurer
A company called Beartooth was trying to come out with a case for your smart phone that would transmit on regular radio frequencies such as FRS, MURS, 2m ham, etc. I thought this was such a better idea than the GoTenna as it allowed you to talk to others on regular radio vs GoTenna users only. HOWEVER, I believe they may have had issues with getting it approved through the FCC and ultimately it appears they have gone to a product similar to the GoTenna. The Beartooth can do voice (company claims 5 miles), text/data (10 miles), maps, and mesh networking all in one.

https://www.beartooth.com/

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
This device brings up an interesting possibility. This is basically an SDR transceiver with some kind of proprietary encryption built in and with a nice GUI wrapped around it in the form of a mobile app. It's not inconceivable to think that one day the typical HAM mobile radio would be replaced by something that looks like this, uses your tablet or phone as a front end, and hooks up to an inexpensive external amp and antenna. I wonder if such devices already exist at a reasonable price point??
We do with things like packet radio/AX.25, APRS, AMPRNet and Broadband-Hamnet/HSMM-Mesh. In particular I think a similar functionality could be done with the mesh networks since being in the ham band the power limitation is 1500 watts. Not that you'd want to run a kilowatt linear on 2.4GHz, but 20 watt repurposed wifi repeaters and the ability to use regular web apps pretty much blow away this gizmo. Even using the built-in 75mW amp of a WRT54GL or similar you can achieve 5 miles line of sight mesh networks with good antennas. It will never exist as a commercial product because hams are cheap and don't usually want to do stuff the easy way. Taking a stack of old routers and doing something with them IS the challenge. Anyway, once you get a mesh up and going the apps you use are the same TCP/IP ones you normally use. So email, web, IM, etc.

rontaki

Observer
goTenna Mesh - reinvented, now networks

Reviving this old post with new information! Disclaimer - I have not yet used a goTenna system yet.

Has anyone here used the goTenna Mesh? This takes the original goTenna concept to a new level. Could be very useful in the field.

No longer using the MURS frequencies, these operate on 902-928MHz band in North America. They adjust the frequency and power according to the regulations for their location. All communications are encrypted, and relay points cannot decrypt messages passing through. These work with cell phones via Bluetooth, similar to the originals.

https://www.gotenna.com/pages/mesh

Airmapper

Inactive Member
It sounds cool and in some circumstances with large families staying within a specific area it might be useful, but I can't think of a single practical use for this for me personally.

For one, I usually want to speak to someone if I'm adamant that there be a comms method in place. This mesh thing might be a great alternative to CB/HAM/GMRS in a trail ride convoy, if only it had PTT. Everyone and their brother has a smartphone now, and most folks would happily download an app to work with your device before they would buy their own radio. Given the strung out nature of a convoy, the mesh would be perfect to keep otherwise short range radios all in contact. But without an instant PTT feature, (I found no mention of voice communication) not much use for that.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
But without an instant PTT feature, (I found no mention of voice communication) not much use for that.
The Gotenna Mesh doesn't support voice AFAIK.

FWIW it's a 900MHz store-and-forward topology, so it's roughly similar to how the APRS RF network operates or at least would if you made every station a relay. In the context of APRS this would be a nightmare of packets flying around so the end stations don't generally retransmit packets. But if you had a handful of APRS stations and no igates or digipeaters you would essentially build an adhoc mesh like this.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
The Beartooth does PTT, Text, and Mesh. It also uses 1 watta on 902-928Mhz
https://www.beartooth.com/

Originally the Beartooth was being developed to allow you to use your cell phone to talk to other radios such as FRS/GMRS or 2m ham.
I think they were having a bit of a problem getting the FCC to approve that and went along with what goTenna was doing.

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I've had the Gotenna Mesh in my shopping cart for a while on Amazon, on the fence about pulling the trigger. Sounds like a great way for frequent travelers to stay in touch without setting up SIM cards and cell service in every country / area you go to. For instance, arrive in new foreign city, you can split up and explore separately while constantly keeping in touch and being able to share map locations too. Would have probably used them quite a bit in the last year of travel.

And the website showing the active users and mesh/relay networks is pretty neat. As well as the use in Puerto Rico for post hurricane comms.

What bugs me is the price and probably limited life due to non-replaceable battery as far as I see, plus having another app to learn and additional devices to keep charged and monitor condition of. When it costs $5 for a new SIM card and $10 a month for cell service outside much of the US, just not sure about the value for me personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste