Smittybilt Overlander RTT Review

Airmapper

Inactive Member
And the new cover strap design.
[pic removed, see above]

Nice to see they are improving the product and not just running on with obvious problems. I wish companies with a lot better reputation than Smittybilt would try that approach, might be how what some consider an inferior brand gains so much traction in the market. I wish mine had that upgrade but for the price I paid under normal retail I can live with it.

I've temporarily solved my strap issue with 550 paracord, I just tie it off to my extended crossbars.

Kevin's solution above looks great. I may need to do something like that. I have the same issue of wanting to leave my sleeping bag in there, and there is room, but those straps mess up my plans to use it for bedding storage.

tjsean0308

Going to dig up this thread for two reasons.

One. I am impressed with this tent. Currently stuck in it for the second night of severe Midwest thunderstorms with not a drop inside. This tent has exceeded my expectations at each turn. I have had this directly next to the CVT and the Tepui offerings. There are minute differences, but nothing really earth shattering.

I have the newer cover and straps. I actually like the Velcro better than the zippers which I have also used. The trick is to fold the cover up on itself so you can pull it into position then flip the hook and pile together. I do this flip only at the two corners and it seems to make the Velcro noise and alignment way better.

This tent is huge, almost too big for my wife and I. It maxes out the rack and the real estate on our trailer. We haven't been able to find a cheap California king set of sheets yet but, regular king do not fit.

I would recommend a cross bar between the main tent bow and the overhang bow. The rainfly tends to pool water no matter how tight I try to stretch it. It can be made to shed water, but only with extreme tension on the rain fly. I will be getting the spreader bar to alleviate that.

My second reason is a question though. Have you guys experienced noseums getting in at night? My wife is super sensitive to bug bites and got eaten alive last night. We have seen many smaller than mosquito flying bugs but we're not sure where they are getting in. We have secured the corners and the hinge areas. Could these guys be getting through the screen?

We saw it is only marketed as mosquito mesh on the smittybilt, but I saw no visual difference between the others and this. Did I miss something?

If you're not afraid of a touch of fiddling I think this tent is well worth the money. I hope I don't have to test the company's support, but I feel that might be the true cost cutting area.

F40

Adventurer
Going to dig up this thread for two reasons.

One. I am impressed with this tent. Currently stuck in it for the second night of severe Midwest thunderstorms with not a drop inside. This tent has exceeded my expectations at each turn. I have had this directly next to the CVT and the Tepui offerings. There are minute differences, but nothing really earth shattering.

I have the newer cover and straps. I actually like the Velcro better than the zippers which I have also used. The trick is to fold the cover up on itself so you can pull it into position then flip the hook and pile together. I do this flip only at the two corners and it seems to make the Velcro noise and alignment way better.

This tent is huge, almost too big for my wife and I. It maxes out the rack and the real estate on our trailer. We haven't been able to find a cheap California king set of sheets yet but, regular king do not fit.

I would recommend a cross bar between the main tent bow and the overhang bow. The rainfly tends to pool water no matter how tight I try to stretch it. It can be made to shed water, but only with extreme tension on the rain fly. I will be getting the spreader bar to alleviate that.

My second reason is a question though. Have you guys experienced noseums getting in at night? My wife is super sensitive to bug bites and got eaten alive last night. We have seen many smaller than mosquito flying bugs but we're not sure where they are getting in. We have secured the corners and the hinge areas. Could these guys be getting through the screen?

We saw it is only marketed as mosquito mesh on the smittybilt, but I saw no visual difference between the others and this. Did I miss something?

If you're not afraid of a touch of fiddling I think this tent is well worth the money. I hope I don't have to test the company's support, but I feel that might be the true cost cutting area.
I'm not sure how you'll add a spreader bar as the tent material covers up the metal bow. You'll have to trim some material.

The bugs are still likely coming in from the flaps where it folds or the corners for the covered entrance poles.

Customer service has been great, I've dealt with the two r&d dudes regarding issues and I've always been well taken care of.

Tswhit15

I purchased this tent about 6 months ago. Fell in love immediately and was impressed with the quality of workmanship when compared to the price. Maybe I was lucky? Anyways, haven't had any issues with rain or bugs yet. I typically pack it away with pillows and sleeping bag inside and have plenty of strap room. Also haven't had any of the issues with the Velcro whatsoever, actually was really impressed with how well it held. Drove over 5k miles in a single trip with it on highways and backroads tar and dirt over the course of a few weeks and it held up amazingly. I also should note that I pack it away in a dry shed while not in use.

ArkansasDon

Observer
I really like mine Smittybilt 2783. The quality of the tent itself is every bit I hoped it would. I looked at many RTT's for my trailer build, & I kept going back to the Smittybilt RTT, not for the price but what other accessories you got with it. Many of the other brands didn't offer that. The reviews on the Smittybilt & their changes is what sold me for the price value even though I wasn't looking for the cheapest. We've camped in cold weather conditions 23 degrees, serious late spring southern down pours rains, high winds on ridge tops to hot southern nights w\o any issues. The only complaint I had with our RTT was the mattress, it sucked for comfort & we replaced it with a Exped Duo 10 Queen Size extra long extra wide.

I figure typical things will go wrong as of Velcro wearing out from continuous use. I didn't treat (waterproof) the tent just followed the instructions how to season the tent. Like I mention we never had any leaks, seepage even around the hinge area which was dry. The rain fly in high winds flapped but nothing what a few small bungee cords remedied. The zippers, the mesh & stitching is all holding up great with many nights & travels under it ownership time frame only shows to us its a good product. As the photos show we store our overland trailer in a large shop out of the weather & elements.

This early spring of 2019 my wife & I are going to do the Trans American Trail Arkansas & Oklahoma run. Personally I feel Smittybilt done a fine job on the tent.
37256956_1747395858642614_1314036838960201728_n.jpg28377571_1592315594150642_8010061356373818703_n.jpg

Last edited:

arb098

Adventurer
I hate to revive a dead thread, but did you have this smittybilt overlander mounted on the factory roof rails on your Outback? I just picked up a 2016 and I'll be picking up one of these tents this weekend. The tent will be used on our Montero, but I'll be driving the Outback to pick the tent up.

thardin68

If anybody is in the market on Cyber Monday, both 4WP and Northridge will sell the XL tent, annex and shipping for under $1200. 4 hours left........

Off2Mtns

PSA: One day only, Wed 12/5, 4 Wheel Parts has this tent as part of their 12 Days of Christmas deals today only: $650. It should be otherwise 20% for the rest of the month, too, like the XL is now. They occasionally run a "we pay the sales tax" deal this time of year, too; I picked up my XL this time of year last year for $880 OTD. Either is a steal of a price.

44372797530_7cc1c6e656_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles