A Jeep Wrangler and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Question

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Admittedly I'm a truck person, but I've always wanted a Jeep. My ultimate goal in a couple of years is to park my Power Wagon and use it when it's time for truck work, but to have a Jeep as my daily driver. The problem is I'm torn between two vehicles, the Wrangler Rubicon and the Grand Cherokee. I lean towards the Grand Cherokee because at 6'8" I'm kind of an ogre. So I have two questions that will help me as I try to make up my mind on which vehicle I look at.

1- Is there a company out there that makes a seat extender for the Jeep Wrangler? When the seat is all the way back, my right knee sits on the dash. If the seat could go back a few more inches, that would be perfect. I don't care about the back seat room, 95% of the time it's just me in my vehicle.

2- Does anybody know if an AEV Rim would work on a Jeep Grand Cherokee? I know that the JGC Overland run's an 18" rim, but I wasn't sure if a 17" rim would work? I just don't know if the wheel would clear the brake's?

Thanks for any help you folks can offer!

tarditi

Explorer
JK Seat extender: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior-Parts-Accessories/Big-Boy-Seat-Bracket.aspx?t_c=9&t_s=418&t_pt=8680&t_pn=MSCJBBJK250D-REV

Regarding the AEV pintler wheels on a GC - it depends on the brakes. The Hemi equipped models had bigger brakes that the 17s won't clear. AEV says no, but you can find examples of folks that have, in fact, bolted them up (and they look great, BTW!)

attachment.php

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I appreciate the quick answers guys! I'm still leaning towards the JGC because I'm so stinking tall, but there's just something about the Wrangler that I really like. AEV Wheels were not a deal breaker, just more of a curiosity. I really like the Salta wheels, and I think they would look good on the JGC, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to go a different route.

Attachments

• aev_onyx_salta_jk_wrangler_wheel_rim_1.jpg
    aev_onyx_salta_jk_wrangler_wheel_rim_1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 46

kmlacroix

Explorer
The WK2 has few after-market parts. Most are from Australia. While they will never be close to a rock buggy, or even a good Wrangler, They can do the Rubicon. My is comfortable and performs well off road. My wife's Summit rides very nice and is quiet.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
My Neighbors have a WJ (his) and WK (hers). I really like the looks of the WK, and if I didn't spend the majority of the trail time in large rocks would own the diesel version. :)
She has 32" BFG KO2s. No lift, no rub. Looks really good, drives great. He complains of the traction control nannies in the snow with the WK. Says the WJ is more confidence inspiring, and easier to drive when the snow starts building up. So much so that they took his WJ on their last trip to Idaho.
He has the Falken Wild Peak in a 265/70R 16 with a budget boost. So not sure how much is related to tires, versus traction control.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Out of curiosity, what would it take to run 33" tires on a new Grand Cherokee? I always liked the 2013 JGC Trailhawk and felt it was a bummer they only made it for one year. I'd love to have a JGC Trailhawk II but I think we all know that it was just a concept vehicle. That doesn't mean a guy couldn't buy the SRT Hood and throw some rock rails on an JGC Overland and achieve the same thing. I'm guessing you can lift a JGC, but you have to stay away from the air ride suspension.

Sorry for the noob questions- I just don't know a lot about Jeeps, but this seems like a good place to learn.

daveh

Adventurer
ARB OME, Icon, Rocky Road Outfitters all make lifts for the WK2. I forget the max tire size but if you search the web there are plenty of pics. Rocky Road retains the oem suspension while the others provide their own components. You basically get a lift equal to the max height if you had the air suspension on the highest setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weeds

Adventurer
I have both rigs a JKU and a new GC. You can get the 18" rims in the Limited with the ORAII package. The Overland is not necessarily more offroad ready than a Limited if equipped the same. I could only determine luxury items as the main difference. Not many dealers in my area carry the ORAII package.

The JKU a rougher offroad vehicle. Mine drives good and I have made several trips to Utah in it. It will drive 80mph on the freeway. I only have 1500 miles on the GC and have not been off road. I will need to change the car tires to LT tires before I do much driving on gravel roads. I was offered $50 apiece trade-in for the new tires. The GC is a real long trip machine, very comfortable.

I cannot help on your fit as I am 5'6''.

As far as snow, when the JK came out people had the same complains about the traction control system. The owners manual says you can turn off the traction control when in snow and you need wheel spin.

Good luck with your choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94