What is your expedition camera of choice if you could only choose one? Or two?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Still using my Fuji kit with great success. I love the compactness. the fact that I can take my entire kit, plus my computers/tablets all carry on, onto a plane is great. It packs very small so in my rigs it takes up very little space!

Observer
I use an Olympus Tough for a quick point and shoot but just purchased an Olympus EM1 MkII which is great with the 14-100 lens. The camera has a 4/3 sensor, weather sealed and takes great photos and 4K video. Down side is price, however.

lucky7

Adventurer
I'm perfectly content with my 5d and 35mm F2 IS.

28516828265_521ddcc08b_b.jpg

CSG

Explorer
My iPhone. It's always with me.

The newer phones have really decent cameras. I've used my SE exclusively a few times. Just got back from my last trip down to Utah and No. Arizona and used my Fuji X-Pro 1 and its 18-55 lens. However, I'm a boondocker in a two wheel drive van, not doing serious back country adventuring so what's rugged enough for me may not be for you.

Biker Eagle

Observer
Just got a Fuji X30 last month, after spending 3 months looking for the best compact camera.(in my price range=cheap) Looked at the Canon G series too, and may still pick one up because it was a real close 2nd.

Like the Fuji viewfinder. Never been able to wean myself away from one. Taking the Fuji to North Carolina mountains next month. We'll see how it performs.

tsalani

Observer
I really like the Sony cameras. The a7ii series is full frame, small, light, and has a ton of nice features. The Sony a7ii and a Zeiss prime 25 f2 would run about $2000-2500. If I really had to stay around $1000 I would probably choose the iPhone. Now that you can shoot in raw with manual settings its actually pretty decent.

JackW

Explorer
The biggest baddest Pro level Canon or Nikon full frame DSLR you can afford with a couple of lenses. Yes they are heavy and bulky but they are weather sealed and generally have very high ISO capability allowing you to shoot in conditions that will have you putting other cameras away. The fast response shutter will allow you to capture images quickly and really good glass will help you create some fantastic images. I've been shooting with some great Canon cameras ever since I bought my first F-1 back in 1980. The 1Dx I have now is just way beyond my current capabilities but I know that if I miss a shot its because I messed up and didn't set the camera right - not because the camera wasn't capable of getting the image. Shoot lots of pictures because you can't go back to that moment and the more you shoot the better you get (if you are looking to improve and can honestly evaluate your bad shots to learn what you did wrong and remember to try something else the next time a similar shot comes up.) These cameras force you to think about what you are doing and by adjusting to the camera you learn how to take better photographs. I carry a Canon G-12 for backups but my Canon 1Dx with a 24-70 F2.8 is my main go to setup.

that-guy

The camera you actually carry with you. And have ready. And you know how to use.

...is worth more than any extra whiz-bang features.

lucky7

Adventurer
I mentioned previously that I am content with my old 5d, and I am. I was saving my pennies for the 135L to go with it, and while I still really want it I'm thinking of going a different route. I have been researching little P&S cameras - the X100S/T/F and Ricoh GR series more specifically. I very nearly ordered a Ricoh GR ii last night, and I still may do so today. It looks like it packs quite a punch for a little camera I can put in my pocket. I do a bit of street shooting in Detroit and get a lot of strange looks with a FF DSLR around my neck. Even with my attempt at making it less blatant I've gotten many questions and strange stares, lol.

28516828265_521ddcc08b_z.jpg

andy29847

Adventurer
Iphone, Olympus TG-3, and Olympus EP5 camera. The picture quality, when displayed on the internet, is very similar. The Iphone is for convience, the TG-3 camera gets carried on my dirt bike. The EP5 is for planned shots. All three make good movies too.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I wouldn't recommend a big expensive DSLR unless you're a photographer first and your Expedition is a secondary concern. The number one thing you want is something convenient enough that you want to use it, it can't be a burden added onto your already existing burden. After you figure that out, just about anything in the last 5 years is pretty good, recent improvements in sensor technology is pretty amazing.
High end compacts like the Sony RX100 series are great (I loved my RX100 mk3 till it fell out of my pocket onto slickrock at Alstrom Point), it might be worth looking into a ruggedized compact like the Olympus TG5 too.

My secondary/Backup camera (Panasonic GM5) has quickly taken over all the casual photo duties when I'm camping and hiking. It all packs up into a small easy to carry bag I can put on my belt. The weight is so small that adding it to a day pack is no problem. And it's versatile enough that I can use it for most photography in a pinch. The only time I have to haul out the heavy main camera is when I'm doing serious photography and all other considerations are secondary.

Believe me, convenience and comfort to use is the most important thing. The best spec camera in the world is useless if you never take it out and use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles