What is your expedition camera of choice if you could only choose one? Or two?

I'm mostly shooting video, but I like our Canon G7x as a point and shoot that produces good images, can be concealed and doesn't draw too much attention. Depending on your "expedition" this may be important to you.

For more versatility I recently got a Sony a6000 with 16-50mm and 55-210mm lenses for under $800. I don't know a ton about cameras, but I am happy with the size and ability of this camera. We were really missing a telephoto until we got this.

We also carry a GoPro hero 4 silver. Like I said we mostly shoot video, but you can pull images off of this depending on your needs and I'm willing to put it places I wouldn't want to put our other cameras like around water, mud, or where a tire might kick a rock up or something.

99Discovery

Adventurer
I'm a camera and now video nut. My "kit" includes a Mavic Pro, a Nikon D800, a pair of Olympus Tough TGs (A TG2 and a TG4), and old school work horse Cannon XHA1, Cannon Vixia camcorder, and a few Garmin Virbs.

If I could only take one camera, it would be the TG4. It is pocketable, crush proof, water proof, capable of 1080p video recording, and a high speed lens (for a point and shoot), and now it has RAW support, even though I just typically leave it on high quality JPG. The macro mode with LED light is incredible (we use them at work to photograph metal cracks) and likewise could be used for repair/troubleshooting if needed.

It's not the best camera. It's not even the most versatile (being pocketable and waterproof means it's a wide/normal lens only), but is the most convenient. I keep it on my person at all times to capture events as they unfold.

As far as "the best" as image quality is concerned, no contest, the Nikon D800. And the XHA1 is the most versatile of my video cameras even though it's a pain in the butt to get out and "recapturing" the video off the mini-DV is kind of an annoying extra step.

Oh look, the TG-5 is now 4k capable....hmm....might have to upgrade:

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Wate...1504302276&sr=1-3&keywords=olympus+tough+tg-5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles