What is your expedition camera of choice if you could only choose one? Or two?

Texans Outdoors

TexansOutdoors.com
What is your expedition camera of choice? Is there a better water proof camera than the GoPro? What is the best expedition camera less than $1000?

Thanks

nevadajh

Observer
I still prefer a DSLR camera as my only camera. I can change lenses for my needs and I can store a huge amount on a little card. Right now I'm using a Canon 7D because I shoot a lot of wildlife and with its crop sensor it gives me an additional 1.6x on my 70-200mm or 100-400mm lens...down side its not waterproof unless you spend big bucks on a underwater case.

JackW

Explorer
One of the reasons to travel for me is to take photographs - and invariably I always regret not taking more.
I've been shooting Canon cameras since the about 1977 (with occasional forays into Rolleis, Hasselblads and Speed Graphics back in the film days) and I bought my first Canon F-1 in 1980.
That was the top of the line in Canon cameras at the time and I shot with those until moving into digital. I use Canon 1D series cameras now - big heavy, weatherproof and durable.
I'll put up with the weight for image quality, accurate autofocus, and the ability to shoot in bad weather conditions like rainy Expo East events.

I have a 1Ds MkII (around $800 used) and a 1D MkII (around $350 used) now. A 1Ds MkIII can be had for under $1200 these days. I'm thinking of moving up to a 1Dx body but that's definitely more than you want to spend.
I also carry a Canon G-series for quick snapshots and my wife has an S-95.

Go here for a lot of good information on camera options: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Texans Outdoors

TexansOutdoors.com
I have the EOS 7D but its broke, AGAIN. It takes great pics but I'm need something a little more rugged. I'm not blaming the camera. I'm really hard on stuff. I have great intentions but as I get older, I have to prove that I can still do the stuff i did at 30, and then I tear up stuff.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion

JMyerz

Adventurer
Define your need as an expedition camera, are you shooting landscapes, family shots and the occasional truck action shot? If so I think the Sony A7 is a great solution for you. Compact, rugged, full frame and the files are stunning to work with. You can find used Sony A7 for about $600-800, add a sony 28mm lens for about $400 and you'd have a great landscape camera.

I've worked professionally with everything from Nikon to Hasselblad and these sony's, while having their quirks, are amazing tools.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a small kit I take with me on all trips. It includes a Fujifilm x-s1, x10 and my nokia 1020. The 1020 is always available for amazing candid shots. Its the best phone camera available even today. It has an accessory battery grip with tripod mount as well. The x10 is my carry around camera for in cities, towns, etc. The X-S1 is for zoom shots, and other wildlife/scenery photos. All of this combined with my surface 3 for editing, I have a super capable kit that takes up very little room, is light weight and I get amazing photos from it. No lenses to worry about, and it all fits in a small lowepro kitbag. Including all chargers, 2tb hard drive, card reader, batteries, mem cards and other things.

There is no camera I have used (I have owned canon, Olympus, sony and pentax SLRs) that have the look of Fuji cameras. Best part, my 1020 actually has similar photo engine processing as photos look similar from it as they do from my Fuji cameras.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
Something exactly the same as my Nikon D5200 in every way (because I know jack **** about other cameras) but with infinitely better high-iSO ability.

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Cannon G15

For me it's a Cannon G15 - a great serious compact camera. I think the current version is the G16. Full review here.

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
Sony A6300 for RIGHT AT $1000.

But I would take a Sony A7s-II with a 16-35 and a 70-200 and the small 35mm prime. Small, light and oh so awesome.

-M

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would have picked the Fuji x-t10, but I am sick of lugging a bag full of lenses and other crap. Now with the X-S1, I have the lens I need for pretty well everything.

hurstjd

Adventurer
I use the Olympus TG-4 (Tough). It is an awesome little camera. It is waterproof up to 50 feet and shockproof up to 7 feet. I used it for a 5-day hike in Peru last year. It was awesome being able to pull this thing out in the rain and not even worry about it. You can also purchase additional lenses for it. http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-4.html

The Raven

Reviving a thread!!! My goto cameras are my trusty Nikon D350S and a Fujifilm X100s for snaps. Over 1K i also have a D750.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles