Jelorian's 03 Z71 Suburban Build

Jelorian

Adventurer
Here is my build thread on my 2003 Chevy Suburban 1500 Z71. She's to be the family weekend mobile, but I'm still not sure if I want her to be our Overland rig.

I bought her with 100,400 miles on 1/9/2015. She was bone stock and previously owned by an elderly couple who always brought her to the dealer for regular maintenance.

A few days after I picked her up. Some bluffs over looking the Pacific Ocean.

As of 2/5/2017 she has 124,500 miles

Exterior
  • N-Fab Pre-Runner light bar C993LH - Ebay Listing 361269797031 (ebay seller mydealsdirect)
  • Wilco Offroad Hitchgate (offset version) Part # T/GUHG1060 - 4Wheelparts.com
  • Level 8 MK6 17x8 Bronze Wheels - Mfr. # MK617806139+00BRZ - Summitracing.com
  • Thule Summit Cargo Box (mounted for longer trips)
  • BFGoodrich LT285/70R17, All-Terrain T/A KO2 - Part # BFG99728 - 4wheelparts.com
  • 80 Series LC Snorkel - amazon.com Link to install thread
  • Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
  • Curt Front Hitch - Part #31302 - amazon.com installed 12/11/2016
  • Curt Winch Mount Plate - Part No. 31010 - amazon.com - installed 12/11/2016
Suspension & Brakes
  • Aftermarket torsion keys - ebay.com listing (ebay seller competitorkiller)
  • 2" rear aluminum spacers -ebay.com listing 321569332750 (ebay seller suspension.marketplace)
  • Moog K700539 front sway bar links - amazon.com
  • Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks (24-186643) - amazon.com
  • Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks (24-185783) - amazon.com
  • GMT900 Front Brake Upgrade - installed 11/8/2016 - ebay.com Item #291738927855
Electrical and Lighting
  • 3 x ProComp 130W 9131 Driving Lights - amazon.com
  • LED Interior Lighting Package - ebay.com listing by fyreflyz
  • Dual Interstate Batteries (Costco $79.99 each)
    • Retainer GM Part #14005061 (formerly 356668) - gmpartsgiant.com
    • Aux Battery Tray GM Part #15246518 - gmpartsgiant.com
    • Hold Down Bolt GM Part #11509853 - gmpartsgiant.com
    • Insulator GM Part #10246636 - gmpartsgiant.com
    • 2AWG Welding Cable - amazon.com
    • Blue Sea Fuse Boxes 5191 - amazon.com
    • Blue Sea 150A fuses - Western Marine
    • 40A Relays - amazon.com
    • Stinger SGP32 200A Battery Isolator - amazon.com
    • Split Loom - amazon.com
    • Marine grade heat shrink, terminals - amazon.com
Engine
  • Volant Cold Air Intake - Part No. 151536 - amazon.com
Recovery
**Upcoming Mods** - in no particular order
  • auxiliary fuel tank in spare wheel well
  • air compressor and tank installed between frame rails
  • CB/HAM radio
  • roof rack
  • winch front bumper
  • Rock sliders - got the sliders 12/8/2016, looking for a fab shop to have them modified and welded on
  • 14 bolt w/ ARB lockers
  • 4.10 gearing
  • 4L80E transmission
  • skid plates
  • B&M Transmission Cooler - thanks geronracing
More Pics!

Snorkel added on 10/30/2016

About a week after, I threw on a Thule cargo box and went exploring some BLM 3 hours south of SF.

N-Fab Pre-Runner Light Bar

Procomp 8" lights installed

Ran the cabling through this hole in the bumper

My amateur wiring

Level 8 MK6 Bronze Wheels 17x8.5 4.5" backspacing, zero offset

ProComp lights installed, wheels and new BFG A/T KO2's

At the shop getting the wheels and tires mounted

Stock tires compared to new wheels and tires

Hitchgate Tire Carrier

Dual Battery Pics

Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Looks great. I might have to check out those wheels, I want something bronze so I was looking at method roost. How are those level 8 as far as weight, fit, finish?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ah, GMT800 Suburban pRon, just what I've been looking for. :sombrero:
How do you like the lift setup? That's pretty much the way I was thinking of going.
Can you post some more profile pictures post-lift and tires? :drool: The more the better. ;)
Also those don't look like stock running boards in the bottom photos but the top photo does look like stockers. What are you using for those?
I like the dual battery setup too. Mild lift and dual batteries are on my "to do" list as well.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Looks great. I might have to check out those wheels, I want something bronze so I was looking at method roost. How are those level 8 as far as weight, fit, finish?

According to the Level 8 website, they are 26lbs. Fit and finish seem excellent. We'll just have to see how they hold up over time. I'm lucky that I don't have to deal with salted roads, so hopefully they'll keep looking good for as long as I own them. One thing I did notice was the guy had to use quite a bit of weight to balance them. More than likely the tires, but just FYI.

Ah, GMT800 Suburban pRon, just what I've been looking for. :sombrero:
How do you like the lift setup? That's pretty much the way I was thinking of going.
Can you post some more profile pictures post-lift and tires? :drool: The more the better. ;)
Also those don't look like stock running boards in the bottom photos but the top photo does look like stockers. What are you using for those?
I like the dual battery setup too. Mild lift and dual batteries are on my "to do" list as well.

I like where she is sitting with the very mild lift. I didn't want to deal with crazy CV angles and premature and/or accelerated wear on the front end components. I was debating on getting a 6" suspension lift, but then decided that this is as tall as I wanted. The 285's haven't rubbed yet so I think I've found a setup I like.

I think had I gotten 17x9 the wheel/tire combo would have come out more and been more flush with the fenders, but I'm ok with the 17x8.

The running board/step rail is stock...I didn't do anything to it.

Here are a few more shots.

Before

After

More shots

Why did you go with the tiregate? Did the 285's not fit in the stock location under the truck?

The new wheel and tire would fit just fine, however I plan on putting an auxiliary fuel tank and compressor underneath. Plus how else would I be able to show off such cool wheels? :)

I would much rather deal with taking a spare off the Hitchgate carrier instead of crawling underneath to get to the spare. It would be even more of a pain if the flat tire was one of the rear tires. Add to the fact that more than likely I'd get a flat on some not so nice terrain, makes the decision easier for me. BTW, getting the spare down off of the OEM winch system is a major pain. If you haven't tried, give it a go. You'll find out real quick how frustrating it is. Mine wasn't corroded at all and I still needed chanel locks to push in the latch. Not to mention I had to jack up the spare so that I could get to the latch. I ended up cutting that stupid thing off...I would love to kick the engineer/s who designed that right in the nuts!

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks good, same lift I intend for mine, likewise on the 2nd battery.

What size aux tank you looking to fit under there, it will fit quite a bit. Likely 25-30gal and still have room for a compressor and small tank. Maybe 30"x8"x24" (231cu" per gallon). It would almost double your range

Jelorian

Adventurer
Looks good, same lift I intend for mine, likewise on the 2nd battery.

What size aux tank you looking to fit under there, it will fit quite a bit. Likely 25-30gal and still have room for a compressor and small tank. Maybe 30"x8"x24" (231cu" per gallon). It would almost double your range

I'm taking inspiration from henryj's install. He posted a link to his own build page in this thread.

He mentioned an 18 gallon tank...I'm thinking of going a bit bigger like the 25-30gal you mentioned. That would give my rig some serious range.

nickchowell

Here is my build thread on my 2003 Chevy Suburban 1500 Z71. She's to be the family weekend mobile, but I'm still not sure if I want her to be our Overland rig. I'm contemplating a Gen 2.5 or Gen 3 Montero for that.

I bought her with 100,400 miles on 1/9/2015. She was bone stock and previously owned by an elderly couple who always brought her to the dealer for regular maintenance.

A few days after I picked her up. Some bluffs over looking the Pacific Ocean.

About a week after, I threw on a Thule cargo box and went exploring some BLM 3 hours south of SF.

As of 2/25/2016 she has 115,500 miles and a few mild mods listed here.

**I apologizie if it gets too detailed, but I'm also using this as a reference/history for my own records.

Exterior

-N-Fab Pre-Runner light bar C993LH - Ebay Listing 361269797031 (ebay seller mydealsdirect)

-Wilco Offroad Hitchgate (offset version) Part # T/GUHG1060 - 4Wheelparts.com

-Level 8 MK6 17x8 Bronze Wheels - Mfr. # MK617806139+00BRZ - Summitracing.com

-BFGoodrich LT285/70R17, All-Terrain T/A KO2 - Part # BFG99728 - 4wheelparts.com

Compared to stock

Suspension

-Aftermarket torsion keys - Ebay Listing (ebay seller competitorkiller)
-2" rear aluminum spacers -Ebay Listing 321569332750 (ebay seller suspension.marketplace)
-Moog K700539 front sway bar links - amazon.com
-Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks (24-186643) - amazon.com
-Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks (24-185783) - amazon.com

Electrical

-Dual Interstate Batteries (Costco $79.99 each)
-Retainer GM Part #14005061 (formerly 356668) - gmpartsgiant.com
-Aux Battery Tray GM Part #15246518 - gmpartsgiant.com
-Hold Down Bolt GM Part #11509853 - gmpartsgiant.com
-Insulator GM Part #10246636 - gmpartsgiant.com
-2AWG Welding Cable - amazon.com
-Blue Sea Fuse Boxes 5191 - amazon.com
-Blue Sea 150A fuses - Western Marine
-40A Relays - amazon.com
-Stinger SGP32 200A Battery Isolator - amazon.com
-Split Loom - amazon.com
-Marine grade heat shrink, terminals - amazon.com

-3 x ProComp 130W 9131 Driving Lights - amazon.com

Ran the cabling through this hole in the bumper

My amatuer wiring

Engine
-K&N Drop-in filter - amazon.com

Exhaust
-Flowmaster 50 Series
How do you like that Hitch Gate? I've been debating one for awhile.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Has anyone ever looked into the feasibility of swapping a fuel tank from a 2500 into a 1500? IIRC the 2500 has a 37 gallon tank.

rayra

Expedition Leader
seems like a lot of hassle to gain one jerry can worth of fuel. Ours are 32gal now, are they not?
The older subs had 42gal tanks, but that was 3? generations earlier, no idea if they'd fit close enough without frame mods.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Wow that truck looks sharp! There are very few aftermarket wheels out there that I don't think look totally tacky. Those look great. Goodstuff

PGW

Observer
Has anyone ever looked into the feasibility of swapping a fuel tank from a 2500 into a 1500? IIRC the 2500 has a 37 gallon tank.

The 2500's have two tanks, the front is about 26 gallons and the rear is about 12 gallons. Not sure if the 2500 rear tank would fit as I believe the 1500's have narrower frames.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Wow that truck looks sharp! There are very few aftermarket wheels out there that I don't think look totally tacky. Those look great. Goodstuff

Thanks for the kind words. At first I was looking at the fairly common black wheels with the bead lock styling...then I came across the Level 8 MK6 wheels in bronze and had to have them.

DD196

Observer
Wow, your Sub is exactly the stance and look I'm going for (as soon as the Xterra is gone). The wheels are a nice change from the current black craze. Only thing I question is the K&N, there's just so much evidence that they let more dirt through into the engine. Used oil analysis show elevated silicon with K&Ns. Nobody I know who goes to Glamis will run a K&N. For areas with high humidity and mainly on-road use they're probably fine. Clean your intake tube after the K&N then check it after some offroad trips. Maybe it will be OK, probably it will be dirty.

Anyway, nice Sub!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles