Options for tires with a little more meat on them for my '89 SMB

dfinn

Adventurer
The tread on my current pizza cutters is getting low and lately I've been thinking that I'd like something a little meatier, something with a bit more aggressive tread and more width. While the van doesn't see any serious offroad it does see plenty of rocky dirt roads.

I believe it has the stock rims and I'm guessing stock size tires. I've got 215/85/16s on there now.

I'm not really sure what I can fit in there without having any rubbing issues. Today I was at the local tire shop and their guestimate was that I could fit something along the lines of 285/85/16 but I'd have to go to a wider rim. It sounds like my current rims are 6" wide and they suggested going to 7" at least.

I'm hoping to get some info on what size tire will fit without any rubbing issues and what size rim I'd need to go along with it. If anyone could help with the specs on the rims that I need that would be super helpful too, they are 8 lug but I'm not sure the hole pattern or spacing.

Here's some pics to show what I'm currently working with:

24759148073_3a5f88b126_b.jpg

25018272029_e2c6febf1f_b.jpg

25359753256_0b2602e0fa_b.jpg

25359695056_79546b70a4_b.jpg

I did recently put an add-a-leaf in the rear to raise that a little and clear up some saggy'ness

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
The widest tire recommended for a 6" rim in applicable load ratings is a 235. 235/85R16 is a common 10 ply size with load ratings similar to your 215/85R16. They're about 3/4" wider than what you have now and just under 32" tall. In between those two is a 225/75R16. I currently run the 225s and they're a nearly perfect dimensional match for 235/75-15s. There are lots of options for 16x7" wheels in your bolt pattern (8 x 6.5) since they were OE on dozens of Ford, Dodge, and GM vehicles. Be mindful of center bore diameters; yours are a little over 5-1/4". Getting wheels one inch wider than your 6" set will cover tire widths upto and including 265. That being said, a 265/75, also available in load range E, is still only about 31.5" tall. They are wider and give a beefier appearance I reckon, but if ground clearance is your goal, you're gonna have to step up to 16 x 8 wheels or larger. That'll let you mount 285/75R16s at just under 33" tall and about 11-1/2" wide. Depending on spring sag, etc, you may need to do some suspension work to avoid tire rubbing and will likely incur an increased turned radius. I'll be honest, and I know I'm likely in the minority here, but that seems like a lot of trouble and expense to get worse fuel mileage and one-half-inch more ground clearance than a 235/85R16 offers. As common as 235/85s are and given that they're on lots of commercial and work vehicles that use 6 at a time (DRW), I see them very very often CHEAP on Craigslist in usable condition. My advice is to find a set (or pair) to put on your OE wheels and try them out. If you find you need more flotation, by all means go wider but with the weight of our vans and the limited flexibility of load range E tires, I doubt traction (ground pressure) is an issue with either tire size and I betcha flotation is lacking with both for truly soft terrain. A wider but not really taller than the 285/75 option is a 305/70 that fits on a 8" wheel.

Last edited:

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Sportsmobile suspension lift kits

It may be time to put a small lift on it? HEHE...
This may be more then desired but with this lift we are running a 285x70 tire on our Baja Grocery Getter 6" suspension kit.

This is our Octillo Cruiser 4"suspension kit with a 265 tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles