Any running the new MotoZ Tractionator Adventure tires?

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I've ran a few different tires on my 990 Adventure (TKC80, Heidenau, Dunlop 908, etc) and still haven't found a perfect all around tire for my uses yet. Some are too expensive, others don't last long, some aren't great offroad and even others aren't great on-road. It's pretty hard to find the "perfect" all around, 50/50 dual purpose adventure bike tire. Recently a friend mentioned the new MotoZ Tractionator Adventure and I had to check them out. I had ran their Desert H/T on a previous KTM 690 Enduro and it seemed like a good DOT knobbie that would last long, but it howled like crazy. The rubber compound was pretty hard, but still had great traction on road and off. MotoZ claims it's a natural rubber compound, making it last longer and hook up better.

I ended up ordering a set of their Adventure tires after reading here, sounds like these tires don't howl like the Desert H/T and they should last quite awhile. - http://xladv.com/reviews/product/788-motoz-tractionator-adventure-15070-18/

I got mine from Pacific Powersports, in Temecula, CA. Brian and the guys were easy to work with, they recently got a container of MotoZ tires so they *should* have plenty for awhile. Pricing for my tires was $89.99 for the 90/90-21 and $179.99 for the 150/70-18. - http://pacificpowersports.info/

20160228_164623-L.jpg

20160228_164632-L.jpg

20160228_164648-L.jpg

I got my tires mounted up, took them for a little road ride today and they're smooth and quiet, so far so good! I have 24,600 miles on the bike as of today, so we'll start measuring the miles!

For me, my riding is very 50/50, on and offroad. I prefer riding in the dirt but usually have to put in some miles on the road to get to it. Most of my riding is rocky desert & mountains, around Utah and Colorado. Some of my rides have covered hundreds of miles of road riding and a bit of dirt and some times mostly dirt and a little street. I'm hoping that this will be the ideal all around tire for these bikes!

I was planning a long day in the dirt this weekend to test them out, but I was rear-ended in my car the night before last and my doctor has advised I stay off the bike for a week while I heal up. :squint:

20160303_144714-X2.jpg

20160303_144730-L.jpg

20160303_144704-L.jpg

Not running them, but those are great looking tires. Still trying to find my first "expedition" bike. I love my harley, but need something a bit different. Any siggestions??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Not running them, but those are great looking tires. Still trying to find my first "expedition" bike. I love my harley, but need something a bit different. Any siggestions??

So far I think they're great tires for big adventure bikes that spend tome in the dirt.

Finding a adventure/expedition bike is probably a subject for another thread! There are so many options, plus your planed useage, how much on & offroad riding you want to do, etc, etc, etc. It could get pretty deep, so start a thread, tell us what kind of riding you want to do and go from there. You'll have more information than you wanted!

Last edited:
A

agavelvr

It will be interesting to see what you think of these. I used to run k60 scouts, saharas, tk80s, etc... Unimpressed unless using tubliss.

Popping for my 2nd 908 today, but I ride a lighter bike primarily on dirt. Would be nice to find something I can get more than 1500-2000 miles out of and still hook up decent. Unicorn Tires Inc :)

SheepnJeep

I think I might give these tires a try next. I have actually gotten decent mileage out of TKCs on a Scrambler. Maybe about 4,500 miles (?) Didn't really keep track of when I put them on. Really excellent tires but they of course cost a fortune.

Thanks for posting!

Greg@RME

Adventurer
OK, I was finally feeling well enough to get out on a good, long ride and test out these tires. Ended up doing around 300 miles today, with just less than half offroad. I was able to ride all kinds of terrain, from high speed highway/freeway to slickrock, sand, dirt, mud and even snow. Even found some canyons to carve and lean the bike over pretty good on the pavement!

20160320_131949-L.jpg

20160320_150543-L.jpg

20160320_154246-XL.jpg

20160320_161250-L.jpg

20160320_162713-L.jpg

I think these tires are brilliant, a perfect 50/50 big-bike, dual sport/adventure tire. I don't think they give up anything, on road or off. They are a little noisy on the street, but it's something I can only hear over 50 MPH and have to focus on hearing them. I ride a bike with stock intake and exhaust, so it's fairly quiet. Hardly a hangup, IMO.

With all the different terrain, I never found a lack of traction in any environment. Even stopping on a steep, loose and rocky hill I was easily able to start moving again with no tire spin or drama. I didn't lower my tire pressure, so I was running pretty high pressure... that probably would have made a difference in some of those situations, but even then no real issues. About the only thing where I struggled was sand.... but less pressure may have helped there. Even then, I hate sand on the big bike! Even plowing thru the snow, these tires dug & hooked up. Leaned over on the pavement they're very confidence inspiring... I think you could scrape the pegs, if you dare lean it over that far. Mud, no problem... dig, hook & keep moving. The mud I was riding in isn't the norm though, it was pretty sandy and not super deep. Wet tires on hardpack dirt... I thought it would spin, but they hooked and off we go!

If the rear lasts over 5k miles and the front sees 6k+ then there will be no reason for me to run anything else. Nice work MotoZ!!

fudgypup

Thanks for posting my review from xladv! I'm on my second rear now. Really happy to see a tire like this finally come to market.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Thanks for posting my review from xladv! I'm on my second rear now. Really happy to see a tire like this finally come to market.

It was nice to see several thousand miles piled up on that tire and how well it lasted! Your review is what convinced me to buy them.

dirtnadvil

MOTOZ

Hey Greg, this is John, I bought your wifes Sherpa a few years ago. Anyways I am running the tractionator on my dirt rims on the DRZ 400.
I like them as far as wear, stability, wet and dry traction. Ive ridden them in Baja, North Nevada and Moab and all over the golden state. Predictable. I see that prices vary on these tires so when its time to buy I have a couple of choices for stiff sidewall tires. Tires I like in a rear are Maxxis Desert IT, 606, Tractionator.All three are tuff and wear well and have similar characteristics. The Tractionator front is good but it seems that nothing beats a MT21 on the front. As a side note, I was able to stuff a 18/ 140 on to the rear wheel on the DRZ. I am running these with the Neutech Tubeless system. I usually run 14 Lbs in the rear and 16 front on soft terrain.

Last edited:

dirtnadvil

As far as tire life, My dirt rides are usually about 1000 miles. Most tires are half way done at 1000. If I was going on another big ride right away I would put new tires on. If not I find that the tires are good for several day rides with friends and I usually wait till the big rides to put new tires on. So including the day rides I would expect 2000 miles of life for the rear. My bike is usually loaded with bags and gear plus my fat ***. The Terain is some paved and a lot of jeep and mining roads.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
They are going on my new Versys X as soon as it gets in my stable! looks like a perfect tire for me!

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Hey Greg, this is John, I bought your wifes Sherpa a few years ago. Anyways I am running the tractionator on my dirt rims on the DRZ 400.
I like them as far as wear, stability, wet and dry traction. Ive ridden them in Baja, North Nevada and Moab and all over the golden state. Predictable. I see that prices vary on these tires so when its time to buy I have a couple of choices for stiff sidewall tires. Tires I like in a rear are Maxxis Desert IT, 606, Tractionator.All three are tuff and wear well and have similar characteristics. The Tractionator front is good but it seems that nothing beats a MT21 on the front. As a side note, I was able to stuff a 18/ 140 on to the rear wheel on the DRZ. I am running these with the Neutech Tubeless system. I usually run 14 Lbs in the rear and 16 front on soft terrain.

Hey John! Sounds like you have the right combo figured out!

As far as tire life, My dirt rides are usually about 1000 miles. Most tires are half way done at 1000. If I was going on another big ride right away I would put new tires on. If not I find that the tires are good for several day rides with friends and I usually wait till the big rides to put new tires on. So including the day rides I would expect 2000 miles of life for the rear. My bike is usually loaded with bags and gear plus my fat ***. The Terain is some paved and a lot of jeep and mining roads.

I'm hoping for more miles out of my rear Tractionator with my KTM 990 Adventure... we'll see!

They are going on my new Versys X as soon as it gets in my stable! looks like a perfect tire for me!

The guys on ADVRider.com (and in my experience) are saying that the front tire grabs cracks, grooves, etc on the road and makes it somewhat spooky to ride. I'm going back to a TKC80 in the front, with the rear Tractionator Adventure.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Greg, I was just reading the same thing.....Kenda big blocks are going on my new steed. I had them on my KLR and LOVED THEM!

Ontheroad68

dirtnadvil I am considering the same set up on my DRZ, 140 Tractioanator ADV and Tubliss. Hos's it working for you? Any chance you can post a pic of that 140 on your DRZ? Also, any one else that has experience with this tire on a small bike I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste