"Exo Egg" Fiberglass Camper Build

WV Jeeper

Observer
Really appreciate the encouragement. I figured it would be one of those things people would either love or hate since it's sorta "different" ;) I'm happy that we could restore this little thing and get her campable again. As someone previously mentioned, it actually is a very well built little camper. I suppose if u-haul was to rent them out to people they kept durability in mind and it does show. Anyway, thanks so much for the positive comments. It makes the build that much better for us! :)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ive always loves those old fiberglass clam-shell units.

My only concern with such an exo, and the potential to strap extra stuff to it, is the dramatic change in COG (center of gravity)

beyond that, look forward to the fit-out :ylsmoke:

silvrzuki77

explorer
Super sweet! Still looking for a casita or scamp that's affordable to build. Have you looked into the Alko axle less suspension? That would be a awesome setup on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Jeeper

Observer
Ive always loves those old fiberglass clam-shell units.

My only concern with such an exo, and the potential to strap extra stuff to it, is the dramatic change in COG (center of gravity)

beyond that, look forward to the fit-out :ylsmoke:

Weight distribution has been at the forefront of our build. With the added weight of the rack and light weight items stored up top, we have added weight to the camper itself as well. We have also relocated heavy items inside to the front to counterbalance the weight added to the rear. Ofcourse we won't know the results of our calculations and efforts until we get it on the road. Hopefully there won't be any I'll effects given our pre-thought. :)

WV Jeeper

Observer
This weekend was spent cutting all the remaining holes to add additional electric outlets, speakers, radio, new converter, cooktop, refrigerator and a/c. With all the fiberglass cuts complete we can finally start sanding and soon paint.

Attachments

• 20160305_181530.jpg
    20160305_181530.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20160305_164436.jpg
    20160305_164436.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20160306_182631_001.jpg
    20160306_182631_001.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 133

WV Jeeper

Observer
Started on the cushions and covers today. All the cushions were missing so have to start from scratch. I started with the upper bunk bed since I do have the original plywood base so that gave me the general shape of that cushion. I used 4" medium density foam and 2" memory foam wrapped in batting. From there I attempted to sew a cover for it. I am no seamstress and besides basic curtains or pillows I have never sewed anything 3 dimensional and form fitting like a cushion cover. It didn't turn out too bad. I still have to sew the bottom piece on but want to add velcro to make them easy to remove and clean. Incase the color doesn't show correctly, the cover is bright red and black. Only like 7 more to go after I complete this one :/

Attachments

• 20160307_141724.jpg
    20160307_141724.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 86

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
How did you choose the foam combo? I'm stuck with a maximum of two inch thickness and I need to find something that is firm enough so I don't crush it but soft enough so my hips don't hurt. Oh, I really like that cooktop.

WV Jeeper

Observer
How did you choose the foam combo? I'm stuck with a maximum of two inch thickness and I need to find something that is firm enough so I don't crush it but soft enough so my hips don't hurt. Oh, I really like that cooktop.

Well I did not intend for it to be that thick originally. I believe 3" is what came originally so I bought 4" to beef it up a bit. I went with medium density just by reading reviews. People use it for couch cushions and such so I figured it was good to support our weight well. After getting it, the kids layed on it and thought it was too stiff for sleeping so I ordered the 2" memory foam. I joined the 2 foams together with spray adhesive and used the batting to wrap them for smooth surface/corners. It is much better now. Its firm, yet soft on top. I only ordered enough to do the front two bunks/couch to start off so when I move to the back (dinette/large bed) I may try a softer density foam and see how that compares. Since you are stuck with 2" max, I would see if you can find either a 1" medium density foam and add a 1" memory foam for softness or maybe try a softer density 2" foam with no memory foam.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
That makes sense. They alway feel different if you only lay on it for a couple of minutes rather than over night. Do you mind saying what was the company that you got the foam from (both types)?

WV Jeeper

Observer
That makes sense. They alway feel different if you only lay on it for a couple of minutes rather than over night. Do you mind saying what was the company that you got the foam from (both types)?

I ordered both off amazon. Search the foam as Mybecca Upholstery Foam Cushion...it comes in various sizes, density and thickness. I also ordered Sleep Master Memory Foam 2 Inch Mattress Topper in a full size and just cut it to fit. Also used multi purpose spray adhesive to join the two foams together and wrapped in batting before covering.

One thing that I was thinking of doing...which may also be an option for you if you have the space to store it during the day is a seperate memory foam topper. The larger bed in the back of ours is the dinette area as well so it consists of multiple cushions to make into a bed when needed. I'm alsogoing to need to keep the thickness down on the cushions for this area because when it is used as a dinette there needs to still be enough room to scoot in and sit under the table. I think I'm going to stick with the 4" foam for the cushions but instead of joining the 2" memory foam topper together, leave it whole and not attach it to each cushion. I figure I can roll it up and store it possibly during the day and then lay it out over the cushions at night when I make it into a bed. This will give us the added comfort/thickness while also preventing us from feeling the cracks that there will be when all the cushions are layed together for the bed. Anyway, just a thought for now but maybe you could get a 2" foam for your mattress and at night lay out an additional memory foam pad that would give you some temporary added thickness and comfort at night and store it during the day?

twiisted71

Adventurer
If you can use a "standard" size (they have many), check out InnerSpace mattresses. Ebay has them. Go for the 5.5 or 6.6" thick though. I initially bought a 4" thick one and it wasn't quite enough. I then bought a 6.5"H and its nice. I can only imagine the 6"+ version! They are that weird foam and can be folded or rolled and stored when not needed for laying on.

Last edited:
Very cool! We have been wanting to do this for several years now, but life and $ have, so far, delayed us. I have two questions... Did you keep the original frame under the egg? what are your plans for a bathroom? Thanks, and keep the pictures coming.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles