AT Tire Recommendations

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Hello everybody,

I just purchased an unloved '03 Montero Limited in need of some TLC, and one of the first items to address is the terrible off-brand howler monkey tires. They moan like banshees and are worn terribly uneven all around. Just looking for some of your recommendations for a "good-for-a-Montero" All-terrain...and I'd especially appreciate anybody telling me which tires they had bad experiences with. I'm a lifelong XJ guy, so BFGs and Cooper AT3s would normally be a go-to pick, but I don't know what my new-to-me heavy girl likes to wear.

Additional info if it helps: Looking to probably go up one size to 265/75R16s. It'll be rolling pretty heavy when it's doing what I bought it for (commuting, camping, exploring, towing a utility trailer, etc. ...all with a wife, four sons, and all the necessary gear). I'm in Virginia so mud, sand, and rocks are in my immediate future.

Thanks so much for any help.

John in Richmond, VA

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I've got 31x10.50R15 Yokohama Geolanders on my truck, zero road noise and enough off road traction for all the things I do. I try to do some mild wheeling once or twice a week and some moderately long trails with good terrain once a month. I have not done any mud, snow, ice or wet rock driving with them though.

KgB

Observer
I'm sure someone will chime in to use search function,(jeep-n-montero :+) 265/75/16 is a good size, My new montero came with Geolander's and they seem great but they have a rating of P, no way I would do much offroad with them, the tread really seems to hook up and they are very quiet, with an "E" rating they would be great. I like the Hercules Alltrac made by Cooper, great grip in mud and snow and reasonably quiet, but I believe they have been discontinued. I would definately go with a ten ply, I also think tires rated for high mileage don't seem to be as good offroad, rubber compound is as important as tread design IMO. I don't believe Montero's have specific tire needs, so you may find better advice in th3 gen mods section, welcome to the club

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
I've got BFG A-T T/A KOs (LT) on 2 of mine. Like them very much, although wouldn't go with 235s on the '05 again. Next round will be back to 265s

poriggity

Explorer
I run Yokohama AT/S on both my wife's daily driver, a 2010 hyundai Tucson awd, and on my truck, a 2004 Dodge ram 2500 long bed 4x4 diesel. I have been impressed with both tread life and on and off road manners with these tires. They have also proven to work well in snow (i live in snow country). If I didn't need a load range E tire on my truck to haul a slide in camper, I would buy the Yokohama again for the truck. I will be putting another set on the wife's car when this set wears out.

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDet...tireModel=Geolandar+A/T-S&partnum=675R6GEOATS

51MqwkqAxkL._SY355_.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I'm sure someone will chime in to use search function,(jeep-n-montero :+)

Haha...it's funny you mentioned that because I've seen him go Pirate on quite a few threads I've read. To be honest though, as a professional forum lurker (here and on many Jeep forums) I can say that google may get me quick answers, but it has never once helped me get to know or interact with anyone in the community. Google is a stone-cold friendless answer pit.

I appreciate the recommendations so far. Please, keep them coming.

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
I've got BFG A-T T/A KOs (LT) on 2 of mine. Like them very much, although wouldn't go with 235s on the '05 again. Next round will be back to 265s

plh, what did you not like about the skinnies? I've waded into the polite conversations about wide v. skinny (sarcasm if not obvious) and am curious to know what you felt were the differences between the two sizes on your Montero.

DSouth

Observer
+1 for BFG KO2's in 265/75 R 16. Great tire so far, that can be found for a decent price, in many cases cheaper then the original KO's

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Thank you :wavey: Nice to meet you Jeep-N-Montero. I have a Jeep and Montero too. They both need a lot of work.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#...ogle"+site:www.expeditionportal.com&tbs=qdr:y

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (the internet forum version): "That which has been (asked) is that which will be (asked), and that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun (or on this forum)"...especially after being out of production since 2006, so use Google.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Funny, i really disliked the Geolandar ATS on my XJ. (fellow XJ owner here)

AT3 maybe? I went a bit more aggressive on my Monteros and don't regret it.

plh

Explorer
plh, what did you not like about the skinnies? I've waded into the polite conversations about wide v. skinny (sarcasm if not obvious) and am curious to know what you felt were the differences between the two sizes on your Montero.
Too squirmy in my opinion. These trucks need a wider patch in contact with the ground.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I also vote for the BFG KO2's. On the lighter (more street) side of AT, the Nitto Cross-Tec's have been great on my Nissan Armada.

photo3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior