Nissan Cabstar 4x4 / 4WD from Pere Maimi - Offroad Engineering

0o_yann_o0

Hi everyone,

Sorry in advance for my English, cause as I write from France, this it not my mother-tongue :sombrero:

We are actually building our expedition vehicle based on a 2006 Nissan Cabstar. We are here to find some information about "little-big" trucks (Fuso, Canter, Q-traction ....) to find a solution about the mounting of the subframe.

First of all, a little description of our Cabstar :

This is a 2006 Cabstar, 35.13 HD : 35 --> 3,5 tons max weight load / 13 --> 130ch (128hp) / HD --> Heavy Duty
In fact this is a 4,5 tons max load but this requires a truck driving licence in France. So the vehicle is "under-classed" at 3,5tons, which can be driven with a car driving licence (like a van). This is the reason of HD. The frame is build for 4,5T, so thicker than normal 3,5T truck.

Also, the rims are 16" diameter on HD, instead of 15" on others.

We bought it because of its interresting possibility to transform it in 4WD truck with a well known builder : Pere Maimi / Off road engineering. Pere Maimi count more of a dozen of Paris-Dakar races. His shop is located in north of Spain.

The engine is a reliable 3.0L diesel engine. The flat driving cabin allows to have good length at the rear, and the chassis truck weight is around 2tons, which allows 1,5tons for subframe, camper and intérior.

We bought the truck with genuine 2WD transmission. Pere Maimi modified it as 4WD, adding transfer gear box and front axle, and modifiying twin wheels at rear axle by single ones. New tires are KM2 BF Goodrich, 16" rims.

The truck as we bought it :
IMG_9713.JPG

After transformation :
IMG00217-20160219-1240.jpg

(Here is in front of the body builder shop)

Now the truck has 4 twist-locks, bolted on the frame. This allows me to drive with chassis-cabin, without any load on frame. This body allows me to load anything on the truck : camper, tank, damper...

So, we are here to find information about subframe for our Cabstar.
My idea is to build a flexible subframe, with pivot(s), and to mount the subframe onto the twist-locks of the truck frame. So the pivot will be a complete part of the subframe, and will leave the truck when the cabin is leaving.

French forums have plenty of threads about Unimog, Man, Iveco, and other big trucks, and also Iveco / Scam light trucks, but this is difficult to find trucks looking like our one and decide about a solution. Pivot or no pivot? Pivot at the front or at the rear or twice?
Actually we have a lot of bla bla bla, but nothing about a Cabstar...
So we would like to find experiences, threads, pictures, notices... for trucks like Fuso / Canter and others Japanese's styles trucks to make a clear idea of what is doing the job and what is not.

If you want more informations about our Cabstar, pictures and others, feel free to leave a thread, we will try to help.

Last edited:

DJUK

Body Mounts

Here is a link to an Australian article which might help with your body mounts:

Search on "truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/extreme-rigs/the-overland-fuso-truck-camper/"

Not a Cabstar but similar frame.

Regards,

David

sunnyman

Hello, What did they pay for the conversion from the Nissan Cabstar? Do you have a contact for me? Best Regards Karim Schlemmer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke