Are Iveco Replacing Mitsi And Isuzu?

thijs404

I'm a sailor and spend most months a year working abroad (a lot of that time on shipyards). I have been thinking about buying a vehicle capable of overland travel for a few years now and therefore been observing what (smaller) vehicles are mostly used in normal day life. The most used flatbed truck (that is also available in 4x4) by far no mather what continent seems to be the mitsubishi fuso/canter followed by the isuzu N-series and nissan cabstar. I assume this makes it easyer to find spare parts...

I often drive a 2012 iveco daily (2wd) when I'm back home and what I really don't like about it is the steering and pedal operation. It is to light and don't give any feedback.. (Don't know if they are drive by wire or not but they curtainly feel like it).
The 2.3ltr diesel has plenty of power though. We use it to tow a trailer with a 1500kg steel rowing boat + equipment and 6 people to competitions around northern europe. Don't know the total combined weight but I estimate somewhere between 5 and 6 tons. The ride is comfortable enough, often driving for 2 to 3 hours without a break.
Another thing about the iveco is that you don't see them a lot outside of europe so I think spare parts and service can be a problem, although I do start to see more iveco lorry's.

The mercedes sprinter (freightliner in america) is another van that I see regularly, mostly converted to luxury taxi buses. The 4x4 models don't look very tough to me though... I used to drive a mercedes vito and never had any big mechanical problems with it. It did rust like crazy though.

There are many other big vans you can choose from of course but I think most of them are only populair on their own continent and only look like they can go offroad. But I'm getting off-topic here and then we can spend the rest of our lives discussing different makes and models...

yabanja

Explorer
Customer support

Here is a link that I came across recently regarding a Iveco 4x4 Daily camper build

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...4-and-custom-camper?highlight=Iveco+Daily+4x4

The OP has a great website (http://www.goingbush.com/iveco.html), which talks about the build issues and particularly the brake problems

- Spig

The report on the going bush website about the Iveco customer support going to rescue the earth cruiser customer is quite something! Really unheard of!

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Yes, it would seem that the Iveco support was very good in this instance, but my concern would be that such a failure should have occurred in the first place.
It is always nice to know that if something goes wrong that you can get help, but personally I would prefer that the equipment I am using is reliable enough that it does the job without any issues.
I see lots of positives with the Iveco 4x4 but it has not been on the market all that long, so has yet to prove itself as a viable, reliable base for an expedition vehicle. Only time will give us that information.

RunningTo

Hi there:

Very interested to hear what your experience has been, both of the Iveco and the job EVA did for you.

Trevor

Bushwagon

Iveco Blog

There is a very good blog on the internet with a couple who are touring around in an Iveco.

Detailed information on non ULSD fuel through south and central america as well.

Good write up on all the mechanical fixes / upgrades they performed before heading out on their travels.

http://www.tuckstruck.net/

Cheers

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yikes. After reading the brakes and transfer case sections on Going Bush, I'm surprised anyone is considering the vehicle. Iveco must really want Earthcruiser's business if it's sending out two mechanics to replace a transfer case in the middle of nowhere. I noticed there was no explanation from Iveco as to what caused the failure.

Ianmac

Iveco update

IMG_0811.jpg

Sorry I hadn't realised there had been a little activity on this thread since I last looked.

We have had our Iveco for a year, (22,000km) and feel we have given it a reasonable test. Our brakes were upgraded from the start and we are pretty happy with them. The front brakes did overheat once but I think this was due to my driving and also the rear brakes not being adjusted properly.

The transfer case does get hot after prolonged highway driving. After 2-3 hours it will creep up to 104 degrees. The transfer case does dictate when we take breaks which I know could annoy a lot of people. We have not had a cooler fitted or had the circlip modification done yet.

The truck has twice gone into limp mode for no apparent reason. Each time we have switched it off and back on and we are back to normal again. Since getting the truck re tuned we haven't had this problem although it wasn't that long ago it was done.

We tend to drive at 90-95 kph and are getting 14.4 l/100km average consumption.

We are more than happy with the build EVA did for us. Yes we have had a few failures and changes to things that were wrong in the first place but everything was resolved professionally and at no extra expense.

The thing I most dislike about the truck is that you probably need to be an electrical engineer to fix it and you need to buy an expensive diagnostic tool. We were obviously aware of this when making our decision to go ahead.

The thing I most like about it is how capable it is offroad. Having the ability to traverse difficult sections slowly is a huge advantage.

Hope this is of interest to someone,

Ian

Fugly

Adventurer
Ian,

Thanks for posting your experiences with the Iveco.....
Very tidy looking truck.....great pic.........

Cheers Fugly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94