Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Its a dream but a good dream !

I'm giving up on the M1078. Their just going up in price ! Guess I got to the party late ? LOL

So how about this ?

This all started at Overland Expo. Got a look at some of the "Dakar" like expedition trucks. But the price !!

I started looking at the military M1078. Big,heavy, and no MPG ! Like 5 MPG. Top speed of 58 mph. Over the last year the price just keeps going higher.

I was looking at the net and saw a TV program with this build called a Crawler Hauler . Used a older NPR chassis,Cummins 5.9,Allison 1000 tran's and F350 4x4 axles.

This got me thinking . ( sometime this is bad) Why not go this way. The fabbing I can do. But this is were all of you come in.

I'm not a Dodge (Cummins 5.9) guy. But that is what I want to use. I'm open to auto trans. Needs to last. I have a F250 4x4 so that seems like a good choice for the axles.(Dana 60) Also need your input on the transfer case.

Chassis will be a 1993 + NPR/Isuzu. I have read the Fuso chassis steel could be better ? This will get a box in the 15' to 18' box.

Wheels will be MRAP alum. 10" x 20" with 395/85r20 for tires. Been working on a adapter for the MRAP to Ford axles.

Use will be general camping and some traveling . I have a JK for going deep but don't do that much anymore. I'm OLD .

I like the idea of it not being as heavy as the M1078. Think I could get it into the 10,000# range. Have a good cruse speed (say 65 to 70) and maybe better MPG ? (14 to 16 )

Think the budget will be in the $10,000 to $15,000 range.

With this in mind what would you use ? Or should I just go away ? LOL

Thanks for the input.
    Randy

Would it be a single or dual cab you're looking at?

If it's a dual cab, converting an Isuzu may be worthwhile, it's what RC Truck Sales do, they keep the original motor (from memory).

If it's a single cab you're looking at doing, why not buy an FG with the 4x4 system already in place? Spent some money on the turbo, suspension and associated mods.

Biggest issues might be the budget and rust, looks like used FG's aren't exactly cheap and tend to be used either in snow or salt areas. Alternatively, have you looked at Kodiak's or older International/Freightliner trucks?

Here is a link to the idea.
    http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...crawler-hauler

As for others.The cab over motor and the "Dakar" look is what i'm going for.That will leave the others out. All I will be using is the cab and frame. All the rest will be replaced with the best parts from Ford,Chevy and Dodge. Of course their will be some custom stuff but I will keep that limited to some thing that can be built in the field.

I will be staying in the US and Canada. So parts will never be a problem.

But thanks for the other ideas.
    Randy

Thanks Maninga. Great link. A little over the top but all go info.

Think my idea is a little low key compared to this build ? LOL

Found a 4 door cab but the shipping would be a killer. Going to keep looking for something closer.
    Randy

If you really want a big truck Dakar/Unicat look you need to look at the Isuzu FTR, its a much better looking truck, in my opinion. Its a real size truck designed for long haul. Theyre sold as FTS 4x4 in ROTW. Just need to find an drive axle, otherwise the same idea as the NPR size conversions.

Yep, been looking at them.

Well to make things worse I found a 4 door Mitsubishi Cab. And I think I can make it work. :smokin:

Not cheep, $3500.

Now its off to the auction for a F350 ? We will see.

General plan will be to mount the cab high on the chassis to clear things. +- I will use a 1999+ F350 chassis and all systems.
    Use 40" tall tires on 17", 18", 20" wheels for a F350. ? No spacer and the tires are like 100# +-.
    Any ideas of the wheel and tires ?
    Get the right ratio gears for the tall tires and maybe a locker for the front ?
    Stretch the chassis if needed ?
    Randy

The red is the F350 158" chassis with 37" tires. The red box is 14' x 8'.

mits on F350 158 chassis.JPG

Did some more side by side work.

Will need to place the cab about 7 1/2" higher than stock. But the frame on the F350 is close to where it needs to be. +-

Also thinking a 4" lift maybe in the cards ?

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast