Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Its a dream but a good dream !

Been thinking this over about every way I can. And the concussion is to build with a F350 and the Fuso cab is just to expensive !

Sorry if anybody was thinking that I had a good idea. Its a ok idea just to expensive for what you will get.

What I came up with is where I started, LMTV - M1078 .

Randy

If you are building a custom vehicle your ideas will morph, expand and sometimes come to a dead end. Why don't you consider something similar to what I am building? I too am on not just a low budget, but a no budget. You already have the F350. Put that drivetrain on a cab&chassis and build out the box. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ous-quot-F-350
    1992 FORD F-350 Crew 4X4. 460 gas, Manual 5-speed. Sky's Offroad Design shackle reversal, Atlas Spring spring packs, Falken 37x12.5-17 Wildpeaks Trailready 17x8.5 beadlocks, Warn Winches front&rear, Odyssey AGM Batteries, Power Master. Centramatic Dynamic Wheel Balancers. Pressure Pro TPMS. Maxima Racing Fluids, Vision-X, JE Reel, Crap Ind.
    Build thread

Thanks for stopping buy ,pappa. Great looking build. I have one like that. Will kind of.

But I'm going to stick with the LMTV. Found one and may pull the trigger on Sat. if it looks good. Cool thing is all the paper work is done ! Title and plate .
    That will be one more thing I do not need to do. +

Are you going up to Overland Expo next weekend ? If I get the Semi/RV done the wife and I will be up for Thus,Friday +- ?

Randy

P.S. Anybody else going ? We could get together ?

Pretty sold on Stewart Stevenson rig as a base truck for camper too buttt..... if starting again I'de recomend a 6x6 version of the FMTV

Check out

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...14#post2096914

We considered the FUSO for a long time. I think they are a very good option. I think the "right" truck is a bit dependent on each person and how they plan to travel. I think a FUSO is perfect for many people.

For a while I really wanted a Steyr 12m18. I drove a Steyr, and it was sweet, but they are ridiculously expensive to get in the US, they can be hard to register in some states, and I couldn't find a realistic parts supply.

In the end, we decided on an M1078 LMTV. The M1078 has some shortcomings for sure, but nothing is perfect. I like that it is over built. I'm pretty sold on it for an expedition truck platform. It's hard to beat the price of the base vehicle. The engine doesn't worry me. If I have trouble with it, I'll fix it or replace it then. There are many CAT shops around. The drive-train needs a little care I think. I've inspected my driveshafts carefully, and one is a bit out of spec for slop. I'll be replacing some parts of that driveshaft. It's not a big deal to do. It's a 20 year old truck, so I expect that kind of work and maintinace.

The mileage of the FUSO would be nice, but I have friends with LMTV that average 7-8 mpg loaded up. For what we plan to do, that fits into our financial plan.

I've heard some people say that the Steyr 12m18 gets like 21 mpg. It's not true. They get about 8-9.5 mpg. They are good trucks though.

Michael

I have joined the Club. With luck my M1078 /FMTV will be home for Christmas.

694352_6002_159_0001.jpg

Maybe I can make Overland Expo 2017 ?

Have started putting together some starting parts. I have the door hinge and got a jumper plug. Man its big !
    Thanks Wil, for sending the bolts !
    IMG_3252 (2).jpg
    All I need now is the truck.

Congrats! I think this is the truck MANY people going to end up with for an Expo build!
    http://totalcomposites.com/ your supplier for European designed fiberglass sandwich panels and accessories.
    https://www.facebook.com/totalcompos...homepage_panel

Well ! Its here !

IMG_3314.jpg

" Let the Party Begin !"

Such a great feeling when the delivery finally happens. Congrats on the truck and looking forward to future posts...
    1986 U1300L Unimog Expedition Camper

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast