Photography tips for beginners

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
One thing beginners don't always grasp is that pros often take *lots* of photos, and choose the ones they like the best afterwards.
The more I shoot, the less I shoot. Sorta. I have a better appreciation of what subjects will make a great shot, and which scenes are likely to be a dud. So, I don't just randomly click away at anything that looks interesting and hope something sticks. Instead, I am more critical of the things I shoot, then take more time getting that shot. I've learned what WILL NOT make a good shot, so I don't bother trying. On the flip side, when I do see something that could be a potential home run, I focus on it fiercely. I bracket, take my time, bust out a tripod, etc. I pull out all the stops to make it work. In that final attempt, I do shoot a ton of frames, but I don't often come home with a zillion different scenes or subjects, with only a hanful of shots per scene.

DSCF0756_zpstp5uwiad.jpg

I watched this monk walk around talking to other monks for 10 minutes. There were a zillion things around me that conspired to get my attention, but I remained fixated on this monk. In the end, I found this non-traditional composition to be my favorite. Awkwardly center-weighted and bisected by the flag, I actually like it best. I had maybe 20 shots of this monk to pick from, almost all of them pretty good.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Also, sometimes the gems get hidden. I did some band promos for my brother a couple years ago. I was having a tough time with the lighting in the bar where they wanted them done. I randomly took a few after a lens change while the guys were joking around. One of those ended up being the one they wanted. What stunk is the bass player left right after I took it so it never got used! It was a great shot!

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
One thing I have learned recently is this: to your audience, a good photo is a good photo.

What I mean is, they dont know (or care, sometimes) if you pulled off on the side of the road and stuck your camera out the window, or if you hiked 10 miles through the snow to get the shot. Dont pass up an opportunity just because its on the side of the road or from a lookout point. That said, you also need to get yourself out there and put your camera in front of scenes that others may not have the ability or interest to get to. In either case, the light, composition, and knowledge of exposure is what will set your image apart. Ive hiked into locations to end up with nothing, and ive seen epic scenes unfold at rest stops. Fundamentals are fundamental, and a good photo is a good photo.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
One thing I have learned recently is this: to your audience, a good photo is a good photo.

That's so true. I always strive to try to get a new picture of something that may be over photographed. Then when I show it off with a few others and people end up liking the generic "postcard" shot that I fired from the hip while stumbling down the trail.
You have to take yourself out of the mentality of a photographer and realize that the majority of the people looking at the picture aren't interested in the technical photographic aspects it took top get the picture. Just slap a filter on it. People love that crap. Save the technical stuff for you and your photography friends.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
That's so true. I always strive to try to get a new picture of something that may be over photographed. Then when I show it off with a few others and people end up liking the generic "postcard" shot that I fired from the hip while stumbling down the trail.
You have to take yourself out of the mentality of a photographer and realize that the majority of the people looking at the picture aren't interested in the technical photographic aspects it took top get the picture. Just slap a filter on it. People love that crap. Save the technical stuff for you and your photography friends.

I can think of 2 spots in Michigan's UP that I hate taking photos of because every damn one of them look the same! BUt, like you said, people love them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles