Ford and Chevy torsion bars

escadventure

Adventurer
Awhile back a fellow forum member mentioned that Chevy 2500 torsion bars can be installed on a 2000 F150. I didn't get which model 2500 bars should be used.

I'm guessing it would be 2001-2006 models, but can anyone confirm that?

justcuz

Explorer
No, but there is some mention of light duty F250 bars in the Expedition Squared thread by Explorer Tom. It seems like Chevy, Ford used 2 different length torsion bars in SUVs and trucks. If the Chevy bars are the same length as Fords then I suppose you could use them. Ford keys are used to raise Chevy trucks so the end of the bars are the same shape.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Please post if you find out.

On Fords, the length seems to be due to engine, but even that varies. The F250LD/7700 series bars work but are no longer available for purchase new. Your only source is a junkyard.

Ivan

Lost in Space
ok so after giving my google **** a workout, I found a 16 year old post at f150 forums where a member used a set of torsion bars from a 1 ton Chevy truck on a 1997 Ford F150 supercab. It appears to be a direct fit, and a viable option to the non-existent F250LD bars.

i guess nexr best bet would be a junkyard or ebay for a set. unfortunately, there was no mention of part number or ywar other than a post 1988 chevy truck.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
There are a couple of 250LDs around here, but they are buckets of rust now. Most were used as plow rigs so the salt content on them killed them. I am going to do some investigation on this...maybe a sway a way bar will fit after some measurement.

justcuz

Explorer
I saw a K2500 diesel extra cab long bed at the wrecking yard last week. I bet those bars are just as heavy, if not more so than a light duty F250.
Most Chevy torsion bars look to still be available. 88-98 Chevy truck torsion bars are 54" long by the way.
I do know the early truck bars do not fit in my 2000 Suburban, they are to long.
I have no idea about Ford truck or Exepedition bars, will have to do some research.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Wow, hit save changes on the edit, and it deleted my post.

IIRC, 54" is the correct length for the longest bars, so no wonder it's worked.

Problem with finding info: all of the terms return, for the most part, info on using Ford torsion keys on Chevy trucks, not the other way around.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yes the ford keys add lift to the 1500 series chev, but will the chev bars from the heavier trucks work on the lighter Fords?

sway a way has various 54" bars available. Looks interesting...

justcuz

Explorer
Ford keys on Chevy 1500's, Chevy 1500 keys on 2500's. All the keys do is re index the bar. I think the Ford keys on the 2500 make the suspension top out, full droop at static.
Torsion bar length is the issue though I know the GMT 800 torsion bars are shorter in the Suburban and Tahoe.
Guess I will have to visit the wrecking yard this week with a tape measure!

Ivan

Lost in Space
I spent last night reading whatever I could find on this. So far from what I got, the GMT800 1 ton trucks will work.

4.6 equipped f150s and expeditions will have the shorter bars. 5.4 will have the longer bars except for the supercrews which will have the shorter bars

The spring code for the F250LD/7700 bars is "7".

And now that we know they're all interchangeable, I am curious as hell about using these:

http://realiftsusp.com

Ivan

Lost in Space
Yes the ford keys add lift to the 1500 series chev, but will the chev bars from the heavier trucks work on the lighter Fords?

sway a way has various 54" bars available. Looks interesting...

Swayaway makes torsion bars? Oh this thread gets better by the minute...

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
So are the GMT800 bars compatible with the Ford short/4.6 or long/5.4 bars?

FWIW, IIRC the transmission is what places the transmission x-member / torsion bar mount location and long vs short bars.

justcuz

Explorer
GMT 800 truck bars are also 54" I believe. I am going to the wrecking yard this week with a measuring tape and a set of calipers to measure torsion bar thicknesses and lengths.

escadventure

Adventurer
Well, that weblink to Real Lift Suspension is interesting. And it does show parts for our 10th gen F150. That could give the lift, but the down side is that lift would still be sitting on weaker F150 spring rate.

Might be worth it to try to find if the Chevy heavier bars will work.

Currently my truck is sitting on helper springs in the back and Timbrens in the front. This set up works great but I don''t think it's a good long term solution. I plan on getting a set of Deavers for the back and need to figure out the best solution for the front. (without using airbags)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior