Camburg or Cognito UCAs
2" Deaver mini pack
305/70/17 or 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s

Last edited:

thethePete

Explorer
"AFE CAI
AFE or S&B turbo intake manifold "

What are you referring to here? They're the same thing, the turbo inlet is the intake/CAI. The intake manifold is something else entirely.

And if you're referring to one of those CAIs that scoop air from down at the bottom of the bumper, that doesn't really sound like a great idea for an expo truck. Just wanna make sure you're not buying stuff you don't need ;)

With a diesel you don't need to worry about doing intake or exhaust manifolds until you're approaching 1000hp. A good aftermarket intake to the turbo, AFE, S&B, AEM, and a good turbo-back exhaust is all you need to make way more power than you'll ever need, coupled with a good programmer. I have a burnout video from a Chev 3500 with a massive Okanagan camper in the back to prove it. That thing still had a stock airbox at the time. EFILive is good business, and the Allison transmission is known to hold about 1200lb/ft no problem. You shouldn't have any driveline issues. New diesels are dangerously fun.

Sounds like a pretty comprehensive list, though you may consider HID low beams and doing the ever popular relay mod to make both bulbs stay on with the high beams. LED headlights have great short-range light, but poor throw in a stock housing, but HIDs don't like to be cycled. HIDs in the low-beam housings, LEDs in the high beams would be a nice set up.

Skip the drilled and slotted rotors too. Drilled rotors crack, period. Get a good set of OEM rotors and you'll be able to do at least 2 sets of pads on them, I promise. EBC makes good pads though.

I would also suggest going with Fox over King, but that's a bit more personal preference, really, I suppose.

Those tire sizes are also a nice range to be in, not too hard on bearings and balljoints.

uscg2008

Explorer
This is what I'm talking about
27158b93049295583fc69b3a1c1778f0_zpsiap8nepz.jpg

efe1c563d638d314f614278881b5abfd_zps5ldcmgf2.jpg

This replaces the factory tube that is there. It is restrictive from the factory, the cold air tube doesn't reach all the way to the turbo. You have to use you this bridge the gap.

OR2BAJA

Observer
I have ran S&B for 7 years on two different cummins. Great stuff. Handles what I need specifically in the deserts of Baja where the silt gets to be otherworldly.

thethePete

Explorer
^ Depends on how complete the intake is, but that's a worthwhile piece to change either way. You won't need any more than that and an exhaust unless you're chasing big power.

mmp3823

Observer
That is the important piece to replace on the 05. Chevy changed it in 06 because it was super restrictive. That is a good list of mods and similar to my plans for my truck. You might look at the Kryptonite UCA. I put some Cognitos on my other truck and they are nice but put Kryptonite ones on my 05 and like them a little better. Plus they have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. If you manage to break them, no matter what you were doing, then they will replace them.

01BURB

I second this^. If you are looking at suspension and steering, look at the Krytptonite items. Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee plus great guys to deal with. I had an 05 and an 04.5 LLY. Great trucks, but watch out for head gaskets. The LLY is known for that, also check for pump rub and the FICM harness rub on the alternator bracket. Put the AFE CAI and turbo mouthpiece in, order a 4" straight aluminized exhaust for about $275 AND CALL IT GOOD. If programming go EFI Live only IMHO. Make sure you get it from reputable shop not some joe blow in his garage. Tow tunes with turbo brake are amazing! I wouldnt go much over 100 hp for top tune as that is about the edge of what a stock Allison tranny will take. I ran my 05 with a 16' cargo trailer behind it every day for about 75k miles and it was a great truck.

uscg2008

Explorer
That is the important piece to replace on the 05. Chevy changed it in 06 because it was super restrictive. That is a good list of mods and similar to my plans for my truck. You might look at the Kryptonite UCA. I put some Cognitos on my other truck and they are nice but put Kryptonite ones on my 05 and like them a little better. Plus they have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. If you manage to break them, no matter what you were doing, then they will replace them.
im running kryptonite tierods right now that came will the truck but I will look more into that brand for other parts as well. I just know that camburg is what I'm leaning towards, because I know their company I grew up 5 mins from their shop. And, I know that they put out a really good product, but I'm def open to other options.

I second this^. If you are looking at suspension and steering, look at the Krytptonite items. Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee plus great guys to deal with. I had an 05 and an 04.5 LLY. Great trucks, but watch out for head gaskets. The LLY is known for that, also check for pump rub and the FICM harness rub on the alternator bracket. Put the AFE CAI and turbo mouthpiece in, order a 4" straight aluminized exhaust for about $275 AND CALL IT GOOD. If programming go EFI Live only IMHO. Make sure you get it from reputable shop not some joe blow in his garage. Tow tunes with turbo brake are amazing! I wouldnt go much over 100 hp for top tune as that is about the edge of what a stock Allison tranny will take. I ran my 05 with a 16' cargo trailer behind it every day for about 75k miles and it was a great truck.
Thanks for all the pointers. The tuner would be last thing I will do, if I even do it. It all depends on how I like the power boost of the cold air, turbo manifold, and cat back exhaust. I wish I could do a 4" straight pipe :drool::smiley_drive:but I'm trying to keep it emissions legal since I'm registered in CA :(

vonguido

Adventurer
I'm coming over from your Yota build which I loved, sad to see it go, but glad to see you got a new toy to make just as awesome. I'll be sub'd for this ride as well. Keep up the awesome work man.

OR2BAJA

Observer
It had so much potential til I saw that exhaust tip... At 2300 bucks for the Camburg you can't really go wrong.

uscg2008

Explorer
The tip came with the exhaust as a part of the kit.... To each their own. I got the cold air and turbo intake in yesterday, took me about 2hrs to out everything in.
Before:
2c179faafee78e0994cf96a2452e9a7d_zpsaf4tkj0e.jpg

Turbo inlet on:
d9247c2a3ed9dde5a808d3cfd6cdd539_zpsypvpenas.jpg

All done:
733ce3e21e3bc3261464bfe7e8bd4bdf_zpstdlzyzy4.jpg

Should be getting my led lights in today and the exhaust should be going on Monday

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles