Chevy Silverado Dirtymax Build

uscg2008

Explorer
Sorry for the pics not working photobucket is trying to screw over all their subscribers so from now on I'll be using tapatalk or something else.
Updated photo 6/20/17
44d6c2085fe0e80398904de9ce94687b.jpg

Here is what I will be build now a 2005 Chevy 2005 with a LLY Duramax, Allison trans, 4wd and the short bed that I wanted with 150k miles on it. It's got a daystar 2" level with brand new bilstein 5100s, BFGs on ProComp wheels. So please follow along, I have some mods planned already but nothing too crazy.
07f93602ca538dafe818b3cdaaec37e4_zpsqbwuzqv9.jpg

e622e9d1ae3a3557eb3579411bb3321a_zps4l7jcjl1.jpg

0ccdcd203c4c305c6185178d3c369441_zpsp7bck5ed.jpg

So here is what I'm planning for mods:

45w led low beams for the head lights
45w led high beams
Weathertech floor liners
JVC head unit with back up camera
AFE CAI
AFE or S&B turbo intake manifold
AFE 4" CAT back exhaust with 6" tip

Near future:
EBC drilled and slotted rotors
EBC GreenStuff pads
Cognito motorsports pitman and idler arm support kit
N-fab light bar
3 IGGYCORP 9" round lights

Distant Future:
King 2.5 front shocks
King 2.5 rear shocks
Camburg or Cognito UCAs
2" Deaver mini pack
305/70/17 or 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking rig Uscg! The truck you have is a very capable unit and I am looking forward to seeing what you do to that fine vehicle. Cheers, Chilli..:)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great looking truck. They are far more capable than people give them credit for. Looking forward to the build.
Jack

purdytj

seeker
Subscribed! Duramaxes unite!
Ironically I had the exact same rims on my Dodge that you have now. Let me know if you need the center cap when you break one... I have an extra.

mmp3823

Observer
I should have mentioned sooner. The first modification that you do to the truck is to change the turbo mouthpiece. GM put a real restrictive one on the 05 which chokes out the engine when under load. I found that out pulling a heavy trailer up the hills in West Virginia. Its an easy fix though. You can either get whole cold air intake including the mouthpiece off an 06 or 07 or go the aftermarket route and get either the AFE bladerunner or S&B turbo inlet pipe. I did the AFE and purchased an aftermarket cold air intake.

thethePete

Explorer
^ S&B is the way to go, IMO. I love the AEM bruteforce set up but it's $$$, S&B makes a very very nice product for a fraction of the cost. Plus their clear filter housing top makes checking the filter at a glance nice and easy.

Also, the Duramax has been around for quite a while, so do some digging and find the weak points for your motor. I can't remember if the was the LML or the LLY that had injector issues, but it's worth finding any of the known problems and addressing them now. IIRC from your last thread you're a maintenance tech, so just keep up with it; service intervals are a little longer with a diesel, but the required maintenance is at least double that of a gasser. Change your fuel filters if you haven't already, and look into a quality aftermarket lift-pump setup. Even a stock motor can benefit from having an increased fuel supply. You won't burn more but your pumps will thank you for the extra volume.

Titan makes a great extended range tank for these trucks as well, good capacity and solid construction. Make sure you go through the front end, and if you plan on putting 35"s or bigger on it and or seeing much off road use, look into some aftermarket steering components. It's a very big weak spot on the Chevys. I know guys that have totalled their tierods doing hard 4wd launches. Several companies make great aftermarket options, I like Cognito. They have support brackets for the idler and pitman too that are worth investing in.

Chevy makes a decent truck as long as you're willing to take care of the weak spots. They're pretty easy to maintain, and have few "creature comfort" issues. If you got a manual transfer case, you're golden. The e-shift ones are prone to not shifting when they feel like it. Other than that, as long as you're not abusing them, they will take you far.

Also, consider a programmer. They don't have to be just for big black smoke and silly amounts of power (although that can be fun); significant mileage improvements and better engine and transmission characteristics are possible with one, so they are worth the investment. Pick your poison, though I'd suggest staying away from H&S, they folded so their support is virtually non-existant. Find something that will program the transmission as well. Added bonus: most will check codes for you too.

OR2BAJA

Observer
Good looking truck. Good advice above. Dial in the hard parts. I would avoid a lift and look more into quality suspension.

uscg2008

Explorer
I should have mentioned sooner. The first modification that you do to the truck is to change the turbo mouthpiece. GM put a real restrictive one on the 05 which chokes out the engine when under load. I found that out pulling a heavy trailer up the hills in West Virginia. Its an easy fix though. You can either get whole cold air intake including the mouthpiece off an 06 or 07 or go the aftermarket route and get either the AFE bladerunner or S&B turbo inlet pipe. I did the AFE and purchased an aftermarket cold air intake.
Thanks for input!!:sombrero: I have already ordered an AFE turbo inlet, cold air intake, and 4" CAT back exhaust. I'm already loving the fuel economy and loads of power.
Good looking truck. Good advice above. Dial in the hard parts. I would avoid a lift and look more into quality suspension.
I already have a small lift with bilstein shocks installed on it when I bought it. But I plan upgrading to some KING 2.5 shocks in the future.

^ S&B is the way to go, IMO. I love the AEM bruteforce set up but it's $$$, S&B makes a very very nice product for a fraction of the cost. Plus their clear filter housing top makes checking the filter at a glance nice and easy.

Also, the Duramax has been around for quite a while, so do some digging and find the weak points for your motor. I can't remember if the was the LML or the LLY that had injector issues, but it's worth finding any of the known problems and addressing them now. IIRC from your last thread you're a maintenance tech, so just keep up with it; service intervals are a little longer with a diesel, but the required maintenance is at least double that of a gasser. Change your fuel filters if you haven't already, and look into a quality aftermarket lift-pump setup. Even a stock motor can benefit from having an increased fuel supply. You won't burn more but your pumps will thank you for the extra volume.

Titan makes a great extended range tank for these trucks as well, good capacity and solid construction. Make sure you go through the front end, and if you plan on putting 35"s or bigger on it and or seeing much off road use, look into some aftermarket steering components. It's a very big weak spot on the Chevys. I know guys that have totalled their tierods doing hard 4wd launches. Several companies make great aftermarket options, I like Cognito. They have support brackets for the idler and pitman too that are worth investing in.

Chevy makes a decent truck as long as you're willing to take care of the weak spots. They're pretty easy to maintain, and have few "creature comfort" issues. If you got a manual transfer case, you're golden. The e-shift ones are prone to not shifting when they feel like it. Other than that, as long as you're not abusing them, they will take you far.

Also, consider a programmer. They don't have to be just for big black smoke and silly amounts of power (although that can be fun); significant mileage improvements and better engine and transmission characteristics are possible with one, so they are worth the investment. Pick your poison, though I'd suggest staying away from H&S, they folded so their support is virtually non-existant. Find something that will program the transmission as well. Added bonus: most will check codes for you too.
The truck came with upgraded tie rods already, but thanks on the heads up on the idler arm and pitman arm supports I'll have to look into it.
My buddy already has an EFI live tuner alreadythqt he is going to send me. So I'm going to buy the dial switch and the get the vehicle specific tune to download,. I have a scanguage right now for monitoring vitals that I used to use on my last truck, I reprogrammed it for the Chevy. But I may switch to and edge products monitor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier