MADAGASCAR - Le Grand Sud

Hi

In October 2015, our group consisting of 4 French, 4 Swiss, 2 Belgians, 5 Malagasy undertook the loop of the Great South of Madagascar, also called the Red Island or the Continent-Island. This trip started in the central highlands, where is the capital Antananarivo and led us to the west to the famous Tsingy (rock needles). Then we headed south along the southwest turquoise coast ( along the Mozambique Channel ) to Tulear, then we dove into the southernmost part of the island, still very wild and remote ( we drove thru a very remote village where they didn't saw a car since at least 10 years ). We then traveled up the southeast coast along the Indian Ocean up to the Pangalanes channel, using totally devastated tracks. We finished this adventure by crossing the mountain covered with primeval forest to reach the Highlands again. Thas was a fantastic and very intense journey, made of turquoise sea, unique nature, tasty lobsters, and the infinite kindness of the Malagasy. Our Nissan Patrol Y61 with their 4.2 na diesel proved to be a fantastic vehicle for such remote and rugged land.
Next edition of this trip will take place from 08 to 29 october 2016.
Hope you enjoy the movie.

cheers.
Nicolas

mobiles & tablets: clic on the title to watch it full screen.

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I just watched it and enjoyed it greatly. As I have your previous videos.

Geko is probably the most underrated YouTube channel for Overland videos. Not even 1K subscribers? Why? This is many times better than average.

No commentary, no "watching people camp" (like literally being with them while they camp......) just a mind blowing stream of fantastic sights from far off lands (as a not well traveled American.) I mean other channels have their place and I appreciate certain aspects of them, but this is a format that just works universally.

When I watch this, I don't feel like I was on the trip or wouldn't have gained anything from being there myself having seen it on a computer screen. I don't feel like someone is trying to impart to me a projection of their superiority in some way. I'm not embarrassed at how goofy it is. With Geko's videos, you know your only seeing a tiny portion of what they experienced, your seeing the highlight reel and it was much better in person, but you still feel like you've had value added to you by seeing a glimpse of another place and how it is different from home.

Geko's videos, is what "legit" looks like.

I just watched it and enjoyed it greatly. As I have your previous videos.
...Geko's videos, is what "legit" looks like.
Hi Airmapper
waow… Thanks a lot for this very touching comment. I do not know if our videos deserve as much praise, but it makes me very happy to know that people from different places around the world have a good time viewing them, and virtually traveling during a few minutes. Thank you
Nicolas

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
Awesome :cool: Your videos are some of my favorites as well. Looking forward to October.

Last edited:

RotorHead04

Observer
Great Video! I lived in Antananarivo Madagascar for two years and I miss and think about it every day! This video makes me want to go back before I forget the language any more than I already have!! Thanks for sharing!

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
Wow, that's a lot of action and scenery packed into 15:55 minutes of video. Looks like a lot of fun was had on that trip. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

PabloVTA

Observer
is there a chance of getting your GPS tracks or more info on the route you took?
I'd love to possibly join an expedition there.
Is October the best weather/ season to go?

thanks for the amazing video.

HI Pablo
We're touring the "Great South" of Mada. It covers the south-west coast, the south coast, the south-east wet coast and a part of the highlands from / to Antananarivo. The southern part is really out of the beaten tracks. We met there a tribes which did not saw a car for more than 10 years…
The dry season is from may to october. October is a very good time to visit Mada.
We're still looking for a team to join us for the october 2017 trip… You're welcome ;) Have a look at the Madagascar page translated by Google or contact me: explo@geko4x4.com

That video was just amazing. You made a great video without even using a drone. If you had a drone and had some arial shots, would only add to the awesomeness of the videos for sure.

Keep overlanding. And happy travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne