Death Valley Super Bloom

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Great pics and thanks for posting. Death Valley is one of my favorite parks to visit. I'm sure you've probably been but if not, next time go into Butte Valley and spend some time. Minimal people, great photo opportunities, camping and hiking.

i-sX5GDDF-L.jpg

Loud Al

Observer
Great pics and thanks for posting. Death Valley is one of my favorite parks to visit. I'm sure you've probably been but if not, next time go into Butte Valley and spend some time. Minimal people, great photo opportunities, camping and hiking.

i-sX5GDDF-L.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind for my next visit to the park.

Loud Al

Observer
The next morning I was on my way south. I'm headed to Quartzite AZ to meetup with my snow bird friends.

Some flowers along the way.

DSCF0311-X2.jpg

DSCF0313-X2.jpg

DSCF0321-X2.jpg

There were even spots where they blanked the hillside

DSCF0323-X2.jpg

There was even some wildlife

DSCF0328-X2.jpg

I started the day with a nice 30 mile run of good gravel, I would be on the pavement for the rest of the trip

DSCF0329-X2.jpg

Spring in in the air, the cactus are blooming.

DSCF0333-X2.jpg

DSCF0335-Edit-X2.jpg

DSCF0338-Edit-X2.jpg

I made it into camp shortly before sunset and got my camp setup.

DSCF0349-X2.jpg

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Thank you for taking me along (Expedition Forums LOL) on your photo tour. Question? Did you ever figure out a way to sleep warm? And my last question? Do you use a photo editing program?

Loud Al

Observer
As far as sleeping warm I moved south where the night time temps were above freezing :). I also bought a cheap sleeping bag from Kmart in Bishop so I had a three layer system. My old worn out Big Agnes down bag, then the Kmart bag, then a US Army Surplus sleeping bag cover. This system worked fine for the rest of the trip. After I got home I received my REI dividend and I used it to buy this bag. I tested it this weekend in temps below freezing and I was toasty warm.

For photo editing I use Lightroom and Photoshop.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Thank you Loud, I read several reviews as well as watched the demo video. seems advances in technology wins favorably in this new sleeping system. Mummy bags have always been too confining for me.

A good nights sleep is very important

Loud Al

Observer
I found the bag to be surprisingly comfortable, I'm a big guy who is a side sleeper and I found that I had plenty of room.

If you buy it from REI it comes with a satisfaction guarantee and you can bring it back if it doesn't work for you.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I found the bag to be surprisingly comfortable, I'm a big guy who is a side sleeper and I found that I had plenty of room.

If you buy it from REI it comes with a satisfaction guarantee and you can bring it back if it doesn't work for you.

WoW! That is a very nice bit of information!

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
Wow, really nice, crisp photos. Many of them would be nice additions to geology text books. Thanks for posting them.

lstamatis

Overland Traveler
Loud Al,

Beautiful pictures and it looks like it's been an amazing trip. Thanks for sharing with us! Mind if I ask what camera gear you are using?

cheers!

justcuz

Explorer
Beautiful pictures. Watching the colors change in the mountains at sunrise while in the main tub at Warm Springs is a sight to behold.

The towers south of Warm Springs were for the salt tram. They mined salt in Saline Valley and the tram line went over the mountain to Owens Lake where it was loaded and shipped across the lake to be trucked down to Los Angeles.

Edit: I must correct myself here. The salt was loaded on a train and processed in Nevada. The products from Cerro Gordo mine were shipped across the lake by boat.

Last edited:

4runner168

Shorty Harris

I couldn't find a name for the prospector and the penguin.

XE203556-Edit-S.jpg

"Did you see the statue of the miner with the penguin behind him?" He asked. "That's a tribute to Shorty. When he'd be out on the desert and would take up drinking from his bottle of O, be Joyful, after a time he'd look behind him and see a penguin following him around. He didn't see pink elephants, he saw penguins."

http://www.desertusa.com/desert-people/shorty-harris.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier