1994 International 4700 Conversion Begins

scooter421

Adventurer
I made it, at 12:30 in the morning. It was a rough day at work.
The truck ran great, it was much better than before. The truck barely dropped into 3rd gear and the transmission temp barely went over 180 degrees climbing the largest hills. It was almost like a new truck. I gained between 8-10 MPH going up the largest hills and no heat issues..
687f3b5016edc56f3a2808e5eda45edf.jpg
67a9640419ff03b657ad555964f6252f.jpg
ad08f6f9f00c2fc8158bbaa99e17653d.jpg
0d6ef358419ec1d3e1e193378251cf33.jpg

Last edited:

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Looks like a great time! I need to get mine out camping, but it has been freezing here. You have the one part on your truck I have been searching for. The fiberglass visor over the windshield! I am officially jealous...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scooter421

Adventurer
It was a good time, always better than sitting at the house! Yes, I am fortunate I've got the visor. It really helps!

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

The Chuckwalla

Hello Scooter 421, just a note here to say thanks for your documentation and insights into the reasoning for what you've done and why on this thread, I will be thoroughly reading all of it as I've just purchased a low miles/hours 2000 4700 (DT466E/ Spicer 6 speed/ 2 speed axle) with an eye towards converting it to a mobile base camp for one. Mine has a very clean 8'x11' utility box on it at present and my inclination is to expand on this platform but I'm not committed to it and still considering alternatives that might offer a shorter route to achieving my simple needs so input from all directions is a big help. Plan carefully and build once (I hope).

I will say that I am favorably impressed with what I'm seeing initially, I hope you won't mind if I drop a question now and again if I can't locate an answer in your sizeably documented build. Thanks!
-Chuck

scooter421

Adventurer
Hi Chuck,
Congrats on the new ride! I'm jealous you've got the 466...much better! With the manual transmission and 2 speed rear end you'll be in good shape, very nice. It's certainly a process but it keeps you out of...some...sorts of trouble. I'll help with anything I can and there are plenty of folks on here with a massive amount of knowledge. My current job requires a lot of hours but you've got a question, I will get back with you. I look forward to seeing the progress!

Scooter...

The Chuckwalla

Hi Chuck,
Congrats on the new ride! I'm jealous you've got the 466...much better! With the manual transmission and 2 speed rear end you'll be in good shape, very nice. It's certainly a process but it keeps you out of...some...sorts of trouble. I'll help with anything I can and there are plenty of folks on here with a massive amount of knowledge. My current job requires a lot of hours but you've got a question, I will get back with you. I look forward to seeing the progress!

Scooter...

Cheers and thank you very much! There will never be any response time pressure from me , I'm quite content to mull the possibilities until the little what-ever-it-is in my head clicks and says yes, this is it , and I feel it's poor manners to press for favors that aren't owed me. There's plenty to do in the way of mechanically upgrading the chassis in the meanwhile.

For my purposes I do like the 466e (pre egr) but don't sell the DT360A short, it is every bit as capable as the comparable size Cummins and the basic design is mechanically superior. A little more in the way of gears to choose from in this package and I'd have been just as happy to have one myself but this is what was on my table when the what-ever-it-is clicked. ; ) Enough though, I won't further hijack your thread and will start my own when I have some tangible progress to report.

-Chuck

scooter421

Adventurer
Cheers and thank you very much! There will never be any response time pressure from me , I'm quite content to mull the possibilities until the little what-ever-it-is in my head clicks and says yes, this is it , and I feel it's poor manners to press for favors that aren't owed me. There's plenty to do in the way of mechanically upgrading the chassis in the meanwhile.

For my purposes I do like the 466e (pre egr) but don't sell the DT360A short, it is every bit as capable as the comparable size Cummins and the basic design is mechanically superior. A little more in the way of gears to choose from in this package and I'd have been just as happy to have one myself but this is what was on my table when the what-ever-it-is clicked. ; ) Enough though, I won't further hijack your thread and will start my own when I have some tangible progress to report.

-Chuck
Very cool Chuck, I can't wait to start reading about your progress sir. All the ideas and chatter really help get those ideas to click! Send me the link when you get your thread started!

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

scooter421

Adventurer
Good morning all,

If anyone is interested, with a bit of reluctance my ambulance is up for sale. I don't have time for it anymore and I don't want it to rot away! If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles