1994 International 4700 Conversion Begins

scooter421

Adventurer
Ah Damn. It appeared to be a decent tank. Lots of flex when full though, but I believe most do that.
Good to know about the flex. Their website does say not to use straps to support their tanks. I plan on boxing the tank in anyway but it's good to know I'm headed in the right direction!

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

scooter421

Adventurer
Tiny steps! Checking the tank for fit.

Scooter...
c93b62397a7596f97565524cf824b3e7.jpg

scooter421

Adventurer
I have made it no further on my water tank. Had a hernia surgery and still working on my daughter's truck!

Well, I think I've gotten all the leaks taken care of on my daughters truck and everything seems to be working now. I still have a ways to go but I took a pause for a tiny bit of progress on the ambo.

I insulated the water tank and plan on putting an automotive seat heater on the bottom with a thermostat to prevent it from freezing if needed. At least, that is my current plan. The tank fits with the added insulation but it is really tight! I have to figure out a good accessible way to mount it under the truck just in case I ever have to remove it for service.

It's been too long, I need to go camping!

Scooter...
ad5885bc3611d306ddaf7924908ded52.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

scooter421

Adventurer
Mate you are supposed to install them empty. Lifting full tanks is definitely hernia inducing.
Lol.... My hernia was from lifting my tool box at work into the back of the car. The water tank is currently empty and may stay that way unless I can figure out a way to mount it!

Scooter...

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Well, I think I've gotten all the leaks taken care of on my daughters truck and everything seems to be working now. I still have a ways to go but I took a pause for a tiny bit of progress on the ambo.

I insulated the water tank and plan on putting an automotive seat heater on the bottom with a thermostat to prevent it from freezing if needed. At least, that is my current plan. The tank fits with the added insulation but it is really tight! I have to figure out a good accessible way to mount it under the truck just in case I ever have to remove it for service.

It's been too long, I need to go camping!

Scooter...[IMG....jpg[/IMG]
Look forward to info on your install of tank heater with thermostat!! They are available for RV water tanks specific though. such as https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Water/Therma-Heat/277-000164.html

scooter421

Adventurer
Look forward to info on your install of tank heater with thermostat!! They are available for RV water tanks specific though. such as https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Water/Therma-Heat/277-000164.html
Well crap, I thought of a seat heater and did not even think to look for rv tank heaters. I should have asked the folks here first I suppose!

The heaters came in and look like it will do just fine. The thermostat arrives tomorrow and I'll get to work.

scooter421

Adventurer
Well crap, I thought of a seat heater and did not even think to look for rv tank heaters. I should have asked the folks here first I suppose!

The heaters came in and look like it will do just fine. The thermostat arrives tomorrow and I'll get to work.

The temp controller came in but the temp probe wire is really short. I'm going to have to add several feet to the cord to put the thermostat where I want it. It will likely mess up the accuracy of the probe but I'm just try to keep water from freezing anyway. I will have to do some testing to see how bad it gets.

On a side note, I bought a tiny evap cooler to see how well I can keep the ambo cool with it. It's smaller than a six pack and a cheap attempt at $40 while drawing little power. It should work well here in AZ with the usually hot/dry air. It draws 2 amps on high and plugs into a USB or 110V.

Scooter...
9556f6ca92478bf491456bed282bc129.jpg

scooter421

Adventurer
I've welded up my water tank frame, worked out the mounting points and made up some hangers. It's a tight fit but I made it work. I still have to box in the tank with sheet metal of some sort to prevent bulging and offer some protection for the tank. Now, I have to sort out the wiring for the heater controls and water pump. First things first though, I need to check the status of my beer fridge. The wiring could take a while and a lot of hard thinking!

Scooter...
f3a35f3d7a784381ba3b7b5517e682a9.jpg

scooter421

Adventurer
Water pump, bracket, switch wired up and tested. I'm getting close to pressurized water finally.

Scooter...
cfce6c4ffb11fff96a1d9872659ed745.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
Water pump, bracket, switch wired up and tested. I'm getting close to pressurized water finally.
... image..... Scooter...
would that not be better up in a cabinet inside the camper... cause of potential freezing? guess you could build a box around it?

scooter421

Adventurer
... image..... Scooter...
would that not be better up in a cabinet inside the camper... cause of potential freezing? guess you could build a box around it?
As crazy as it sounds in a vehicle this size, I'm always trying to make sure I don't use up any unnecessary space. Underneath the truck I don't have to worry about leaks either. I do plan to keep the pump and the lines insulated. Being in the desert I don't generally have to much of a problem with freezing, even when I head north. For the foreseeable future, I will not likely leave AZ on any major trips. If we did leave, it certainly will not be into cold weather. Momma is not having that! It seems time and money are always at odds! If I quit putting money into the truck though....I might be able to go somewhere!

Scooter...

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
.... For the foreseeable future, I will not likely leave AZ on any major trips. If we did leave, it certainly will not be into cold weather...
Plan for re-sale value though. After years of exciting travel, the ability to sell her to a northerner as well as a southerner is much to your advantage when one considers funds need in the life of aged living.

scooter421

Adventurer
.... For the foreseeable future, I will not likely leave AZ on any major trips. If we did leave, it certainly will not be into cold weather...
Plan for re-sale value though. After years of exciting travel, the ability to sell her to a northerner as well as a southerner is much to your advantage when one considers funds need in the life of aged living.
Very true, as much as I hate to admit it. I am getting older!

Scooter...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles