1994 International 4700 Conversion Begins

scooter421

Adventurer
Hopefully, this works out the way I intended!
I'm getting tired of lugging huge coolers around with 20-30lbs of ice for a 2-4 day weekend. Trying 3 RTIC 20 coolers, 1 for a freezer (dry ice) and the other 2 will be used as standard coolers. Hopefully, I will not need as much ice! I will also be able to leave 2 (with food) in the back putting the center one with drinks out near the table and still have a walking path through the back. If I get my bed built right the coolers will sit under the bed when down. Still waiting on my hinges, they got hung up in customs!

coolers.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
I've used a two cooler system when I used to camp out of my SUV, and it worked out pretty well.

I didn't have a 'freezer' cooler, but just one for food and one for drinks. I would start with some of my food frozen for day two, three, etc. and fill that cooler completely with bag ice. The drink cooler would also have some frozen bottles of water as well as bag ice in it. Also, both coolers would be pre-cooled a day or so beforehand, which really helped. These were just Coleman and Igloo coolers, so those should do much better.

I use the RTIC tumblers and they work great, so I'm really interested in how well their coolers do also, if you wouldn't mind letting us know when you find out.

scooter421

Adventurer
Sure thing, they have good reviews and they should do much better than my two old Igloo's which actually do well for about 4 days. These little guys are only 20 quart, which is partly why I purchased 3. I also wanted the flexibility 3 coolers offered so I could change things up depending on who was on the trip. I will let you know how they work out.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Scooter...

Last edited:

scooter421

Adventurer
Received the new foam for my bench seat/seat back and got them changed out. Aside from a million staples it was not too bad of a job. Now that the two bench pieces are the same thickness they will be level when used as the bed. The softer foam and lowered seat height (2" foam instead of the stock 3") made the bench seat much more comfortable. I am still waiting for the dang hinges, they got hung up in customs twice already! Third times a charm I suppose, they might be here this week. Once I get the hinges in the real fun will begin.

Scooter...

scooter421

Adventurer
I was in need of a vise since my old one finally bit the dust after 20 years. I got this which I can use on the truck and at home with the included bench mount.
vise.jpg

Scooter...

rlrenz

Explorer
Nice vise! My garage vise is a 50 year old Wilton "bullet" vise that I got for zip because they couldn't find new jaws for it -- I remachined the vise to match the new style jaws instead. Unfortunately, it's not portable unless I hoist the bench into the ambu-buggy. If it ever dies, I'll look for one like yours.

Who made it / sold it?

rlrenz

Explorer
Thanks for the info!

I found out that Milhoff Machine also makes a portable vise. Milhoff is 15 miles away from me.

transition

Hi, just read through all these pages on this truck, some very cool ideas and a lot of knowledge. I'm going with the same platform ; 1992 international 4700lp ambulance. I look forward to following your build.
f3434b06c27bb5dfffd6ff1a9a224f15.jpg
c9590e0a17e78f0f0ec0b4b2e89119c6.jpg
b8b6d816dbbeea0b2a0ad2ff17fd3cda.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

scooter421

Adventurer
Nice! Welcome aboard! It's been a fun experience so far. I am still learning and have a long way to go! You've come to the right place, lots of helpful and very knowledgeable folks here on the forum. Anything I can help you with or try to save you some time and money, just ask.

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

scooter421

Adventurer
Okay, the hinges have arrived and I am....dare I say done with the main bed platform!

First the reasons I chose to go this route, which took many cases of beer and an incredible amount of time to "have my cake and eat it too!"

1. I did not want to lose the seatbelts in the rear.
2. I did not want to lose the width across the back.
3. I wanted to integrate the 3 coolers into the space.
4. I did not want to impact the storage over the wheel well.
5. I wanted to use the existing cushions in the design.
6. The components to make this work needed to be stored beneath the seat bench.

Okay....that's enough, here you go.

20170805_120121.jpg20170805_120129.jpg20170805_120417.jpg20170805_121040.jpg20170805_132806.jpg20170805_203804.jpg20170805_204315.jpg20170805_204333.jpg20170805_204347.jpg
Bed frame is from Walmart $40. I went to Home Depot to get the wood to insert into the legs and raised the bed frame to 16 inches which allowed the coolers to fit.
Hinges are from Amazon but took 3 times through customs to get them. It worked out better than I figured and ended up using a 9 of the 16 hinges I ordered.
There is enough room left over to cook, make coffee, change clothes, possibly sleep a 4th person with a cot...never mind the mess it's a work in progress!
The hole left over with the bench seat removed will be covered with a panel allowing for a spot to sleep. In the end, there is enough to easily sleep 3 and 4 if need be.

Scooter...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne