Truck Camper vs Van Conversion?

silvrzuki77

explorer
2v 5.4 not a big issue.... Everything is getting rebuilt anyways. My 2009 e350 5.4 has 102,000 mi on it runs perfect. Everything else got rebuilt during the conversion.

Honestly at a budget of $35k. It's not a lot of buying power for anything low mileage or newer for what the OP wants regardless.

Where did he go anyways? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
If you're staying in one place for long periods, especially in the backcountry, it might be a nice option to be able to drop a truck camper and still be able to drive your truck around without breaking camp.. Beer runs, etc.

Choff

Adventurer
Van conversion all the way, you can access all gear, and move around and do not have to get out in rain to go to the bathroom.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
After 5 years of full time living in a truck and camper I can tell you I was only ever asked to leave a place once. By my own credit union no less! Had a new bank the next day. During those 5 years I camped all over the southwest in remote areas and much of it was in conservative Orange County for work. No problems. So I don't put to much merit on being stealthy or worry about being asked to leave. If it happens, I leave. Problem solved.

Years before that I had a van converted for camping. It was ok but would get pretty cramped over long stays. The pass through was only of any real value in the rain. The bigger problem I had was porta potty oders and small reserves of fresh water. No shower and only sponge baths got old quick.

But the biggest issue I see is cost. For less then half your budget you can get a pretty good truck and camper combo and use the left over money for more trips and more places to go! Used 1 ton 4x4 trucks are all over craigslist and other sources. And craigslist is great for finding used campers. Just know what to look for and watch out for and you'll get a heck of a bargain. I found my current full size camper with all the goodies for under $2000! Another $800 in upgrades and I'll be ready to roll here soon! Between buying the truck, a 2001 ram 4x4 and fixing it up and now the camper between them both I will only be around $8000 total! And that's all new running gear in the truck along with lots of toys for me to play with on the road.

For my money, (budget!) a truck camper can't be beat.

See you on the road!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
issues regardless is not the point.

The point is that the OP will get more rig for his dollar that fits his needs with a truck and truck camper than any other option.

And to top it off, it is going to be the most readily available option.

There are easily hundreds of thousands of good solid 4x4 trucks on the market for every 4x4 van, and easily the same for Class C's that might fit the bill.

Same goes for new(er) used slide ins.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Since you seem to like argue
343b2c5a5b78dd394e7ebd34e33aee91.jpg

2003 7.3 ford 4x4 six pac camper.
That's six years ago my wife, and I, plus my 40 pound dog used the crap out of it. Sucked balls looking back. No storage, pain in the butt to unload. Just from being there and done that. I wouldn't do it again plus the kids ruined having something that size again!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Its not an argument, just a matter of understanding the facts.

And the facts are simple. To meet the OP's criteria and fall within budget, he is far better off with a truck and truck camper.

You didn't like yours, so what? That simply means you have different needs or requirements than the OP.

So move on, or maybe provide some actual reasons you think something other than a truck camper is a better solution for him (not you).

Nivel Egres

Observer
All right, all right :) I am sold on the truck camper, with all of the negatives
Would you buy the camper first and go select a truck to fit or truck first, camper second?
-- Where do I find them for cheap?
-- Is it worth buying one in horrible state and renovating?
-- What should I look at when I am buying one?
-- What is the meaning of life?

Thanks for the answers - just for comparison purposes, here is my current dirtbag vehicle (to quote a lady on a date "you own an apartment in Manhattan but you drive a thousand dollar car, it says volumes about you"). I have done a multi-month trip in my Ugly Brick, so a truck camper would be a massive upgrade.
brick.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Great to hear!

There are really only two ways to choose...

1-Find a camper you like, then see exactly how much truck you will need to haul it.

2-Find the truck you like, then see exactly how much camper it can safely carry

Unless you going for a custom camper, Ill always advise option #1

-- Where do I find them for cheap? Start with local used dealers to get a feel, then keep eyes open for private sales
-- Is it worth buying one in horrible state and renovating? No way, no how. Buy something fairly new in good shape and dont look back
-- What should I look at when I am buying one? Water damage, delamination, structural issues. But you'd be hard pressed to find a sued unit at a dealer with any of there problems.
-- What is the meaning of life? DUH! LIVING!

BTW, if you provide me your zip code I could do a bit of searching and lay out some options I think might work for you. :)

silvrzuki77

explorer
Its not an argument, just a matter of understanding the facts.

And the facts are simple. To meet the OP's criteria and fall within budget, he is far better off with a truck and truck camper.

You didn't like yours, so what? That simply means you have different needs or requirements than the OP.

So move on, or maybe provide some actual reasons you think something other than a truck camper is a better solution for him (not you).

Relax buddy! Jeez! Lol

Coming that I had one here are couple down falls I had nothing crazy. Doesn't mean it won't work for you though! Still will be fun.

Room.... Lol but it's a cab over

Storage!!! I have tons of climbing gear also. Was tough finding a place with out tearing everything apart taking it in and out.
A great idea that has been done by others is to flat bed your to vehicle than put locking storage boxes where the bedsides would have been.

I had a wet bath in mine so that took a lot away in the storage.

Removing and setting down by yourself can be time consuming. If not electric legs.

Weight is another huge issue like was mentioned.

Idasho gave some good advice. No doubt, think you need to do a combination search. What he said about weight is a huge concern for example the SRW 4x4 2003 diesel super duty I had a gross weight capacity of 2300# that's not much when talking about a hard side camper. The newer the truck the higher the capacity obviously. A dually wouldn't be a bad idea to keep you safe.

Since you plan on living in it look for a 4 seasons camper, like Bigfoot. Better construction.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke