Truck Camper vs Van Conversion?

Nivel Egres

Observer
Storage!!! I have tons of climbing gear also. Was tough finding a place with out tearing everything apart taking it in and out.
A great idea that has been done by others is to flat bed your to vehicle than put locking storage boxes where the bedsides would have been.
Now, that's an awesome idea!
-- Would the camper still be removable after that? - it'd be nice to leave the camper on the camp-ground and go to the crag in just the truck
-- If you had to guess, how much would that cost?
-- What kind of climbing do you do? I don't think the gear is that space-consuming itself, except for the bouldering pads. But once you add everything up, it will be a bundle and extra storage will help a lot

BTW, if you provide me your zip code I could do a bit of searching and lay out some options I think might work for you. :)
You are too kind, it's 10028. If I find something with your help, I'll owe you a case of beer when I am around your neck of the woods. I am not into cars anyway, so it's the right path - camper first, a fitting truck second and I'll probably mod it as per silvrzuki77's advice.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Here is a link to Rv.net https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26628291/print/true.cfm
Should have no issues removing the camper. The pictures will help give you an idea.

For price you will have to look around. You can find them cheap on Craigslist for steel ones, but might be worth looking for an aluminum or having one made. Just watch your weight!

I have climbing gear for 3 of us plus my search and rescue gear. Adds up quick. We do a lot of slot canyon, caves, and mines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nivel Egres

Observer
Thanks!

For price you will have to look around. You can find them cheap on Craigslist for steel ones, but might be worth looking for an aluminum or having one made. Just watch your weight!
I figured I'd spend up to 15k on the camper and renovations, the balance would go to the truck. Seems like you can pick one up for 10k or so on Ebay or rvtrader, I guess I'll start by visiting dealerships first.

I have climbing gear for 3 of us plus my search and rescue gear. Adds up quick. We do a lot of slot canyon, caves, and mines.
Yeah, the gear for that sort of adventure climbing/caving would be bulky. I literally own a few pair of climbing shoes, 2 ropes and a rack of quickdraws, so it all fits into a 80L backpack.

PS. Someone just suggested that instead of converting the truck to a flat-bed I can remove the sides from the trunk (or whatever that part is) and replace them with mounts for waterproof bags. Ugly but functional and cheap.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Some quick intranet searching yielded these guys...

http://truckcamperwarehouse.com/

They seem to be the place to go for new and pre-owned truck campers.

Internet searching can only get you so far, as many times the best deals are snatched up right as the listing posts.

Best bet would be boots on the ground and talking with these guys.

Id tour the place and get to know your options, what you like and what you dont like, and what you think you actually need.

Being new to truck campers, Id suggest you check out as many as you possibly can.

Once you have an idea of what you need let them know, most places will put you on a call-list based upon your criteria, so once that find a unit that fits the bill, they call you.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I would be concerned about the bags with people that have sticky fingers! I would prefer to have locking compartments just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
I have a Northstar truck camper if you search the site you can see pictures of it. I think for the price its not a bad option at around 10k. It has a cassette toilet same that's used in an earthroamer, it has Seize windows, same also again as expensive campers. It has electric jacks and I can load and unload the camper really fast by myself. I used to unload it every two weeks when I was working in Southern utah. I would go home, then come back south unload camper, drive my truck to work down there, sleep in camper at the end of my 7 days I would load it back up and drive home. My truck also works well, and is worth around 10K. so for 20K you would have a nice set up. I have a 12 volt marine fridge and 250 watts of solar with an air conditioner I can run off a 2000 watt genny if need be. It has plenty of storage for two people, for me.

simple

Adventurer
When your searching, keep in mind that people sell their truck and camper combos. I'd think you could find a decent setup already put together for 30-35k. It's also nice because you can test as a unit and it's already setup. If you go this route I recommend having the seller remove the camper for inspection. This will also show you if there is any damage to where the jacks mount and that they are functioning properly.

For longer trips it's really important to be able to stand up inside your rig. Can your big dogs fit on a front seat? If so, then with a walk through setup, you can shuffle them up to the front and out of your way.

Nivel Egres

Observer
I have a Northstar truck camper if you search the site you can see pictures of it. I think for the price its not a bad option at around 10k. It has a cassette toilet same that's used in an earthroamer, it has Seize windows, same also again as expensive campers. It has electric jacks and I can load and unload the camper really fast by myself.
Sounds like an awesome piece of equipment!

I have a 12 volt marine fridge and 250 watts of solar with an air conditioner I can run off a 2000 watt genny if need be. It has plenty of storage for two people, for me.
I am planning to add solar power to mine, I wonder if i need a stand-alone generator.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Sounds like an awesome piece of equipment!

I am planning to add solar power to mine, I wonder if i need a stand-alone generator.

I'm not an expert, but plenty of people seem to get by long term with just a couple hundred watts of solar. Unless you want to run a microwave or A/C, you probably won't need a generator.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Correct, if you do it right, you can get by with a few hundred watts.

Just have to run the numbers, and see what you can live without.

rruff

Explorer
Thanks for the answers - just for comparison purposes, here is my current dirtbag vehicle (to quote a lady on a date "you own an apartment in Manhattan but you drive a thousand dollar car, it says volumes about you"). I have done a multi-month trip in my Ugly Brick, so a truck camper would be a massive upgrade.
View attachment 335146

Old thread, but this made me smile. It does say volumes about you, but in a good way! I'm guessing she didn't mean it in a good way though.

Have you purchased your rig and are you on the road?

I was a wandering vagabond (home made truck camper, 2wd Toyota) for 13 years. I had no shower (except for cool streams or a sun shower), toilet (a hole in the ground), refrigerator or cooler (carried food that didn't require it). I always camped in remote places. Had female "roommates" for a good portion of that time (in a very small space). Better women than I ever met when I was a well paid urban professional. Bottom line is that I think you might over estimate what you need, and under estimate your appeal to women. Do what you love, the way that seems best to you, and the *right* women will be impressed. The others are a waste of time anyway.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
So, did Nivel, the O.P. ever move on a rig? The clue for me here was when he said, "I'm not into cars anyway." FWIW, I think the important ingredient in stealth camping/traveling is that your rig does not change shape or look like anyone is home. For a truck camper that means the steps are not down and blinds are drawn. No light, sound, or motion.

arkfabrication

Also keep in mind the floor of a standard flatbed is higher than the floor of a standard pick-up bed. Hope you've got things up and running with what you were looking for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles