Toyo 285/70/R19.5 M608z

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Guys
I have just completed 30,000kms on the Super single types as supplied by ATW. Tyres have been rotated every 10,000kms so each tyre has just completed 20,000kms each. The tyres have done most of their work on tar and relatively little hard off road use. I have been surprised to realise these tyres will not see 40,000km of use (in my case).
image.jpg
The tyres seem to be wearing down quickly, but also chipping badly.

Would appreciate others stories who are using the same tyres to hear if your tyres are wearing as expected and what kms you are expect.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
... so where are folks buying new tires from? I can get them for $429/ea locally.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I do not have a lot of miles on my Toyo tyres (about 8500 km) but mine are showing very little wear (all highway use).

Amesz00

Adventurer
I'm surprised to hear these tyres wearing quickly. I thought long wearing was one of their selling points??
I've got about 15000kms on my XZLs, and so far the only really noticeable wear is on the front inside shoulders where it needs an alignment.. That said they are big and the truck is fairly light compared to a full on camper..

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It was offroad use that tore mine up. Mine look like Steve's but worse. Maxtrax and Toyos = bad juju.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Wow, Steve....what's the production date on those?

I've got around 20,000 miles on mine, seem to be wearing well except for the outside front shoulder on the driver side. I need to get a rotation and alignment, but it's also due to the extra loading. ATW springs, and the driver side spring is also sagging noticeably. Tires seem to be doing well, rears look very good. No chunking.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hi Guys
I have just completed 30,000kms on the Super single types as supplied by ATW. Tyres have been rotated every 10,000kms so each tyre has just completed 20,000kms each. The tyres have done most of their work on tar and relatively little hard off road use. I have been surprised to realise these tyres will not see 40,000km of use (in my case).
View attachment 334963
The tyres seem to be wearing down quickly, but also chipping badly.

Would appreciate others stories who are using the same tyres to hear if your tyres are wearing as expected and what kms you are expect.
Cheers
Steve

That's what happens on dirt/gravel roads and you have wheel spin it takes chips out. You will find it mainly on the rears when you run in 2WD. We see this all the time on our Landcruiser when we run around the farm in 2WD and going slow. The tyre tends to roll on the little stones just from the torque on the tyre. More load the worse it gets. They are a hard tyre being what they are, more made for trucks running bitumen only. Hard offroad use will see pieces taken out and not all that chipping. From the look of the photo they are run at too high a pressure as the chipping is mainly on the centre treads, so the tyre is not running across the whole width.

As soon as you hit the dirt run in 4WD and let some air out so the tyre is not so hard.

My 2 cents worth,
Dan.

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
Chipping

When I first put bfg mts on my land cruiser I had a similar pattern on my tyres after a trip on dirt roads. I reduced tyre pressures and ran them at least 5 psi lower than I felt was right from previous experience. After another 10k the wear had evened out. I then ran them on a 40k+ trip through some of the worst roads you can imagine in Central Asia. They did brilliantly.

My point is to get to know your tyres and try different pressures. I expect to switch to the same tyres on my Isuzu nps 300 eventually so I will have the same learning curve.

westyss

Explorer
That's what happens on dirt/gravel roads and you have wheel spin it takes chips out. You will find it mainly on the rears when you run in 2WD. We see this all the time on our Landcruiser when we run around the farm in 2WD and going slow. The tyre tends to roll on the little stones just from the torque on the tyre. More load the worse it gets. They are a hard tyre being what they are, more made for trucks running bitumen only. Hard offroad use will see pieces taken out and not all that chipping. From the look of the photo they are run at too high a pressure as the chipping is mainly on the centre treads, so the tyre is not running across the whole width.

As soon as you hit the dirt run in 4WD and let some air out so the tyre is not so hard.

My 2 cents worth,
Dan.

I have to agree with this totally, looks like way too much pressure in those tires. Can you confirm that this is a rear tire? If it is the rear it would make sense as the limited slip will add to the wear on gravel. I do see many people run around with only 2x engaged and would recommend even mild sloped roads to engage 4x to limit wheel slip, especially when loaded, really eases the work done by only the rear wheels and shares the load.

I have Michelins on my truck and had some chipping on those tires too, but did get 70,000 KMs from them, right now I have a pair of Michelin RD2+(??) and a pair of the Toyos just put on so I will see how they fare.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi All
Firstly, thank you for your replies, it is proving helpful reading.
In answer to a couple of questions asked.
The tyres were manufactured 52nd week of 2012.
As a few of you have suspected, the photo is of the rear tyre.
As to tyre pressures, I contacted Toyo and they were very helpful requesting both front and rear axel weights before they would give recommended tyre pressures. The rears have been running at 75lbs and the fronts at 55lbs. I must admit being a little lazy in not dropping by 10lbs of pressure off road but usually we engaged 4WD as the canters do not have the best gearing. I think I will be a little motivated to action airing down.

Unfortunately, there is not a great range of tyres that will go off road and carry the 6 tonne weight to choose from in Australia.
Regards
Steve

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Steve, what tire pressures did Toyo recommend and what are your axle loads? I have the same setup on my truck.

Thanks,

Buckstopper

westyss

Explorer
Hi All
Firstly, thank you for your replies, it is proving helpful reading.
In answer to a couple of questions asked.
The tyres were manufactured 52nd week of 2012.
As a few of you have suspected, the photo is of the rear tyre.
As to tyre pressures, I contacted Toyo and they were very helpful requesting both front and rear axel weights before they would give recommended tyre pressures. The rears have been running at 75lbs and the fronts at 55lbs. I must admit being a little lazy in not dropping by 10lbs of pressure off road but usually we engaged 4WD as the canters do not have the best gearing. I think I will be a little motivated to action airing down.

Unfortunately, there is not a great range of tyres that will go off road and carry the 6 tonne weight to choose from in Australia.
Regards
Steve

Personally for me that pressure is much too high, I used a Michelin tire chart for my specific tire I found online but the chart didn't really didn't go as low as I needed for my weight so I interpolated the graph to come up with some numbers, 58 psi for the rears and 48 front on pavement and down as low as 20 front and 30 or so rear on rough roads. I operate in the 11000-12000 pound range.

I religiously air down hitting the trails and it gives me the best comfort and less vibration/slamming from potholes etc, it will also form around the rocks pretty good but not great, and that is the nature of these tires for these trucks. Toyo or Michelin will be very conservative on their numbers as they will be liable for out of range numbers. Like I said the last tires reached 70,000km and had a bit of a wobble but could go many more K's than when I retired them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94