Nitro Gear - Project "Big Dog Burban"

nitro-gear

Supporting Sponsor - Differential & Axle Parts
Steering is now plumbed and functionally connected both mechanically from the box to the knuckles and hydraulically to run the ram for maximum assist. We won't be able to fully test it until the motor is running, but at this point just having the ability to steer the front wheels is making moving the rig around the shop much easier.

Jr5yfqFl.jpg

The scope of this project has meant we've run into lots of small things that take a lot of time to sort out correctly. When we installed the Mercenary Offroad front bumper we realized the factory windshield washer bottle was both in the way and the wrong shape to work with the tapered high clearance bumper. We solved that issue by building a new aluminum tank in the shape of the space available and added both OE pumps into the assembly to keep everything functional when the rig gets back on the road.

inxKDOXl.jpg

C7PtUDhl.jpg

vyAfX4Hl.jpg

Rock slider fabrication is in progress now. This rig is big and heavy and the sliders will need to cope with the weight and look good doing it. Nearly 500lbs of steel has been cut, bent and welded for these. They should take about anything we throw at them.

lC14j86l.jpg

g4FJY0ml.jpg

YohMbHZl.jpg

QmEOHj4l.jpg

st2kDGKl.jpg

ibz2sn3l.jpg

What's left? Final welding in a variety of places including the rear suspension mounts will happen soon. Once that's completed we can reinstall the fuel tank and finish wiring the LS under the hood for initial startup. Completing the exhaust system is also on the agenda along with powercoating a variety of parts including the bumpers, sliders and some suspension components. Once those get back we can began final assembly and hopefully have a couple weeks to shake the beast down before heading to the SEMA show in late October.

davkenrem

Observer
Very cool, front fenders don't work for me though, but I could live with it. When can I take delivery.

Last edited:

nitro-gear

Supporting Sponsor - Differential & Axle Parts
SEMA 2016 is next week and we can't wait to reveal the Nitro 'Big Dog Burban' in it's entirety now that it's complete.

8RdDUnG.jpg

Jelorian

Adventurer
Good lord what a beast of a Burban! You guys must be proud of all the work that went into this project. Amazing build!

thethePete

Explorer
Absolutely love the low ride height on this thing. Looks great.

Mccustomize, I know I've installed long-tube headers on stock IFS 4wd trucks before. They fit, so I would imagine with the shaft now going down to the axle, there's even more room.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am really looking forward to seeing the Big Dog Burban! Maybe the Fruad owners can see what a real four wheel drive truck is all about!...:wings:

mccustomize

Explorer
Absolutely love the low ride height on this thing. Looks great.

Mccustomize, I know I've installed long-tube headers on stock IFS 4wd trucks before. They fit, so I would imagine with the shaft now going down to the axle, there's even more room.

On an IFS truck the differential does not move up or down, it's stationary. On a live axle the problem is the uptravel where the driveshaft will get into the header. When I was mocking up my axle at full bump there was no way long tubes were going to fit at full compression.

thethePete

Explorer
On an IFS truck the differential does not move up or down, it's stationary. On a live axle the problem is the uptravel where the driveshaft will get into the header. When I was mocking up my axle at full bump there was no way long tubes were going to fit at full compression.

Y'don't say.

I have a hard time envisioning stuffing a solid axle up that far with 37" tires, but regardless, you mocked it up and it didn't fit in your application, who says they're not bumping the axle further down than you?

thethePete

Explorer
I am really looking forward to seeing the Big Dog Burban! Maybe the Fruad owners can see what a real four wheel drive truck is all about!...:wings:

Weird, you had to replace the entire front end to "show up the Ford", we just used what Henry gave us....

mccustomize

Explorer
Y'don't say.

I have a hard time envisioning stuffing a solid axle up that far with 37" tires, but regardless, you mocked it up and it didn't fit in your application, who says they're not bumping the axle further down than you?

It's actually pretty easy, they are running 40s but the ride height still looks pretty decent. I am also running a low pinion axle, they are running a high pinion, which should make for even less room. All in all this is why I asked them, curiosity more than anything.

thethePete

Explorer
10-4, I've never tried to put long-tubes in on a SAS Chev, I just knew they fit with IFS and couldn't really see why a SAS would create less room.

Regardless, I'd also be interested in seeing some shots at full stuff, just to see how cramped it gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier