STMAXX or KM2 - Another 255/85R16 thread

Fargo

Adventurer
So did some price checking today and it looks like the STMAXX could cost me an extra $250 over the KM2 from a reputable dealer I've used in the past. I could also get it a little cheaper from an authorized Cooper dealer in a small local town nearby. He gave me a really good price, but its still going to be around $150 more than the KM2.

I can get the KM2 at Costco and it will come with road hazard, free lifetime balance and rotation. The other guys offer no warranty or anything and will charge me an additional $50 to balance the tires if I ever need to do that. So that KM2 could be much cheaper in the long run if I ever need to re-balance or make use of the road hazard warranty. Any thoughts on which way to go with that big of a price difference?

Robert Bills

Explorer
You should confirm that your your local Costco will mount a 255/85R16 tire on your rig. Corporate policy is to refuse to mount tires unless they are the specific size listed in their book for your vehicle. A particular store might deviate from that policy but it pays to confirm in advance.

Fargo

Adventurer
Thats a good idea to double check that. Although I told the guy right up front it wasn't stock size and he never blinked an eye. So I don't think its an issue. I also found out that some CostCo stores are a test market for Cooper tires. I wish I knew which ones. I would be very curious to see what Costco would be selling the STMAXX for. It almost makes me want to back out on the sale of my current tires and wait to see if Costco starts selling Coopers as cheap as they sell the BFG.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I just did. They have a good price on the STMAXX too. The problem is they are 3 hours away. Although I get to that area a lot to visit friends. So it is doable.

Now I just have to decide which is the tire I really want. Thanks guys.

Discounttiredirect.com usually ships for free to your door, then you can pick the installer of your choice.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I just did. They have a good price on the STMAXX too. The problem is they are 3 hours away. Although I get to that area a lot to visit friends. So it is doable.

Now I just have to decide which is the tire I really want. Thanks guys.

They will ship to your door for free. No need to go to a location.

Fargo

Adventurer
Sorry for not posting. I made a decision last week. Despite most of the recommendations here, I decided to go with the KM2. I just decided my Jeep is built to be more rugged and its the vehicle I take on more serious rock crawling trips and difficult trails. The KM2s just seemed to fit the vehicle better. If I was building my Pathfinder or maybe even a new JK that is quiter I might have gone with the Maxx. But I thought the more aggressive KM2 would serve me better. I don't think noise will be a concern since my LJ has a lot of wind noise anyway. I also plan on siping them for winter. I'll admit that a big part of my reasoning was also the fact the KM2 has a more compliant sidewall. I think that will help my ride too.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Time will tell if I made the right choice. I think the STMAXX is also a great choice and if the KM2s get too loud or do not meet my expectations on the road, I will get the Maxx. But for now I'll try the KM2. I have them on order and should get them installed next week.

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
My vote is for the ST Maxx....great tire and gives me confidence that I did not have with the Duratrac

Fargo

Adventurer
Well, I put the KM2s on since I had them preordered last week. There has been some buyers remorse for sure. I do think in some ways the STMAXX could have been better. But in some ways I think the KM2 is better.

So here are my initial thoughts on the KM2s after only about 50 miles:

They ride and handle great. I do think the sidewalls are a little softer and more complaint than my old STTs. I am currently running about 4 psi more air in the KM2 than I had in the STT and I think the KM2 is less harsh on sharp impacts. So that is a big plus and something I was looking for.

I am sold on the 255/85R16 size too. The steering feels lighter and more responsive. They seem to follow tracks on the road less too. But that wasn't too much of an issue for me before. With the KM2 they also give the Jeep a more rugged military look for whatever that is worth.

My only complaint is that the KM2s are louder than I was hoping. Its a deeper pitch than my old STTs, but I think the KM2 is about as loud brand new as my Coopers were at 30,000 miles. My Coopers were always a pretty quiet tire and I never had any complaints about noise. But they were starting to get noticable at 30,000. So I have some concerns about how loud the KM2s might be at 30,000.

All in all, I love the 255/85R16 and I really like the KM2 except for my concern about them being louder than I was hoping. I think the STMAXX would have been a quieter tire, but I think it would have remained as harsh riding as my STTs. So it was a trade off. I think in a different vehicle I would have made a different choice. Only time will tell how much I like the KM2 in the future.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
The Maxx is a very quiet tire, like a regular all-terrain instead of a mud-terrain. So once you've worn through those KM2s, you might reconsider the Maxxs if tire noise is a priority.

Fargo

Adventurer
I don't put a lot of miles on my jeep during the year so I can't tell you how many miles I have on the KM2s. But I did take a trip out to CO this summer with them. So I can give you more info from that trip and my current opinion on the tires.

Prior to my trip I discovered that my wheel bearings where showing excessive wear. So I replaced my bearings. As expected the bearings were part of the noise that I was hearing. I expect that is why my KM2s were similar in noise to my old STTs. I was hearing as much bearing noise as tire noise. With fresh bearings, the KM2s tire noise is really not a factor. At least with a Wrangler. I suspect the tire hum would be more noticeable in a more refined SUV. But it still wouldn't be considered noisy. Its a noticeable hum, but really subdued and to be expected from any aggressive tire.

I love the sidewalls. The tires ride great. I couldn't be happier with the ride and durability trade off of the sidewalls. I see people complaining about weak sidewalls on the BFG and asking for something stiffer and tougher. I sincerely hope that BFG does not listen to these people. The sidewalls ride perfect. I no longer have the sharp impacts that I was getting from all my other tires.

In regards to the size. One trade off of the narrow 255/85 is you do notice a little flex in the sidewall. It just doesn't have the width to support side loads as much as a wider tire. Its nothing concerning, but handling is a little different. Another trade off that I noticed is that due to the narrow tire, you do not have as much rim protection in the rocks. I had the misfortune of scratching up one of my new rims because the tire didn't extend beyond the rim. (Granted its possible my rim might have been damaged with a wide tire too. I don't know for certain, but I attribute the damage to the narrow tire not being any wider than the rim.) I am running my 255s on an 8" rim. A 7" rim would likely have better protection from the tire.

All in all I am very pleased with the tires. I know BFG seems to have a love them or hate them attitude from people on various forums. This was my first set of BFGs and I am quickly becoming a believer. I liked my Coopers, but my BFGs just seem to be a better tire. In particular the rubber compound is better. My Coopers always seam to weather check quickly, but I am not seeing that in my BFGs. Also the BFGs are giving me better ride characteristics.

So the big question. Would I buy these tire again? That depends. If I wanted a narrow mud tire. Absolutely. If I wanted a narrow and aggressive all terrain. Yep, I'd pick these over the STMAXX again. (Remember though my point of reference is from the STT and not the MAXX.) I plan to sipe them this winter and see how they do on the snow. That should eliminate one advantage I see in the STMAXX. However, if I wanted a quiet all terrain and was undecided on the width I wanted, I would really have to look at the BFG AT3. But if I knew I wanted an aggressive pizza cutter, this would be my choice again. In any event, I would certainly buy BFGs again.

One caveat I need to remind the reader is that I am coming from the perspective of a Jeep Wrangler. If I was putting these on a full size truck, I might be OK with the stiffer ride found in the Coopers.

Fargo

Adventurer
Talk about reviving an old thread. lol

I'll put my 2 cents in the pot. 285/70R17 Goodyear SA8

Yeah, but if we are talking different rims and a different tire size then every tire made is an option. If you want tall and skinny, you have limited choices. If the 17"
rim is an option then you can add in the choice of the BFG AT in a 34x10.5 and still get a tall and skinny tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne