Ozark Trail "High Performance" cooler - any good?

perkj

Explorer
SgtMac - can you run a test for us on that 52 qt cooler? I'm thinking put 4 or 5 cans in the cooler and then fill it to the very very top with ice to ensure there is no large air pocket between the ice and the lid. Then take a picture of the inside showing the ice melt every 24 hours also notating the outside temp. Obviously keep checking every 24 hours until the ice is completely turned to water. Try to only open the lid to take the picture each day.

SgtMac

Running a Test

Sure, I normally use blocks of ice in the form of gallon water jugs or water bottles because you use it when it melts, but I can used bagged ice, it is 52 quarts so a few soda cans will be lost in there! I will start the test by the weekend.

SgtMac

Test has started

The cooler test was started at 1030 hrs est. The cooler was not pre-cooled, I placed 8 12oz canned sodas (room temperature) in the cooler. 40 lbs of cubed ice was added; the air temperature at the time of loading was 74° , the high temperature today was 84°.

Ricer_X_01

Observer
I noticed these a few weeks ago... I was half tempted to grab the 52 quart as well. Couldn't justify that kind of money on a Wal-mart brand cooler until I went and found some info online about them. Been checking weekly and other than the reddit post, this is all I've found. Anxious to hear some first hand reviews!

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Hit up a local Wal-Mart today. Found the empty hole on the shelf, tag confirmed some had been there. Probably will keep an eye open.

perkj

Explorer
The cooler test was started at 1030 hrs est. The cooler was not pre-cooled, I placed 8 12oz canned sodas (room temperature) in the cooler. 40 lbs of cubed ice was added; the air temperature at the time of loading was 74° , the high temperature today was 84°.

did the 40 lbs get it right to the top of the cooler or was there a gap between the top of the ice line and the top of the cooler?

afbond03

Adventurer
None at my local Wal-Mart.

I did find their line of the stainless steel cups though. I bought a 30oz, 20oz, and the Colster. I have a 30oz Yeti and a Aliexpress 30oz knock off and now this Ozark Trail one. The Aliexpress I think does better than my Yeti so I figure this Ozark Trail one will do as good.

SgtMac

Test Day 2

24 hours have passed. Low temperature last night was 54, it's currently 64, instant read thermometer displayed a temperature inside the cooler of 25.4°. Some ice melting has occurred. I'm going to leave the water in the cooler during the duration of the test.We are expecting air temperatures in the 60s and 70s for the next few days.

Schlitzy

Hi Guys, New to this forum and just happened upon it when searching for these coolers. I just happened upon these at my local walmart here in Colorado on March 14. That night I bought the 26 quart and, I liked it so much after checking it out at home, I went back the next day and I bought the 52. I filled both with ice when I purchased them. Although I don't have pics to share, I can share my experience with both. Obviously it is winter here, but I have a heated garage and have kept both in there since I bought them. Constant temperature of 69 degrees F. The 26 Qt kept ice for 5 days, and I still have ice from the original load in the 52 qt (I filled it at approximately 5pm on Tuesday, March 15th), so I'm at 11 days on the 52 QT with some ice (I have opened the cooler at least 2x per day, some days more. I will say that we had a 70 degree day here full sunshine last week and I did set the 52 in my driveway for the entire day in the sunshine as well.

I'm definitely sold on these coolers for now. I don't have a YETI or any other high end cooler and didn't really want to spend the money but when I just happened on these, I am very glad I bought these 2. I'm really excited to test when I can leave in the full sunshine and high temperatures here in the next month or so. I will say, though, that I will primarily be using these coolers in Sept for week long hunting trips where temps are consistent with the 69-70 degrees the coolers are seeing right now. Absolutely no question the 52 QT will last entire trip. I highly recommend.

Last edited:

Ricer_X_01

Observer
Went to two different Wal-marts today to grab a 52 quart. First one was sold out or never carried them (couldn't find an empty shelf for them), so went to the one that I first seen them. 52 quart was gone and no more in the back as per a very non-helpful employee... so said f it and got the 73 quart. Took a bunch of pictures to share, but I'm still to new to the forum to share links... wah wah

toehold

I stopped at a pair of stores, nothing. Would like to see these in person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schlitzy

I stopped at a pair of stores, nothing. Would like to see these in person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The castle rock Walmart off of founders has the 52 and 70 as of yesterday morning. I noticed you're in the springs so may be worth the drive up if you're interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles