Ozark Trail "High Performance" cooler - any good?

MOguy

Explorer
Yeah, I get ya.

Wouldn't it be cool (pun...) if they made some wheels or something for the higher end coolers? I don't need it for the way I use mine but guys that fish, etc. Handy.

If they did they would have sold another one a couple nights ago.

Instead I had to settle for less. Maybe they will read this post and next time around I can get a good cooler with wheels and a big handle so my kids can roll it down the hallway or drag it across the beach and then the following weekend my oldest and I can strap it in the Jeep and head out to the woods and have a cooler that works longer than a day.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I don't remember which company it was, but when I bought my Orcas about three years ago, at least one of the recognizable rotomolded cooler companies offered a wheel kit for their coolers.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I don't remember which company it was, but when I bought my Orcas about three years ago, at least one of the recognizable rotomolded cooler companies offered a wheel kit for their coolers.
Seems like a good addition.
I'd think that, for our market, they'd need to be pretty robust wheels. The coolers are heavy, they'd be laden, and we go to some gnarly places. So the tires would have to be fairly big, strong, and it would need a sturdy handle. No namby-pamby kit for us; I'd want to be able to ride that sucker down a hill soapbox derby style.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'd think that, for our market, they'd need to be pretty robust wheels. The coolers are heavy, they'd be laden, and we go to some gnarly places. So the tires would have to be fairly big, strong, and it would need a sturdy handle. No namby-pamby kit for us; I'd want to be able to ride that sucker down a hill soapbox derby style.

Looks like some Georgia boys are already there, but motorized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btep0qCwjd0

CCH

Adventurer
Saw a roto molded cooler with wheels at Sam's Club. It was a store brand. Don't recall the capacity, but want to say 50. Wasn't paying close attention as I have been banned from future cooler purchases.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I like that they don't have wheels. Might be cool for some folks but they would just waste space the way I use a cooler.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I like that they don't have wheels. Might be cool for some folks but they would just waste space the way I use a cooler.
Same here. When my ORCA 58s are full, they probably go about 175 pounds. They stay in the truck until they are nearly empty.

MOguy

Explorer
Same here. When my ORCA 58s are full, they probably go about 175 pounds. They stay in the truck until they are nearly empty.

If you don't have to move them that's great. But if you do have to move them and you want your kids to do it, not so great.

Different people use things differently. I still wish the better Ozark trail ones had a way for two to carry it, wheels and a big *** handle so you it can be pulled around.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
You don't want to make the plastic cooler carry that weight, set it on a wagon/cart to pull around. At the beach people usually pull them on metal wagons with real inflatable tires.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
You don't want to make the plastic cooler carry that weight, set it on a wagon/cart to pull around. At the beach people usually pull them on metal wagons with real inflatable tires.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I got some of these wagons pictured below for work. They are rated to carry one ton and have big inflatable tires. Even with a wagon like that it would still be easier to drag a cooler with a big *** handle across the deep sand than to try to pull a wagon across deep sand. Maybe if you found wagons with even fatter tires but that would just take up more space. I would also prefer two smaller cooler to one big one if I did need that much space.

8PHD1_AS01

Last edited:

screwball48

Explorer
I agree with both Hilldweller and MOguy. The handle on the Pelican makes a large cumbersome cooler even more cumbersome. Also a Pelican cooler is not an economical option due to the purchase price. From the reviews I have read and the products I have seen at stores it is hard to beat the Ozark Trails coolers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior