Kimberley Western Australia 2008 trip

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Back in 2008 myself and a friend decided to drive from Perth Western Australia up to the Kimberley and around to Wolfe Creek crater via the Gibb river road.
I thought it was time to post some details about it as I wasn't a member on this forum at that time.

The first section was mostly black top from Perth to Onslow, we did call into Karijini for a night.

From Karijini to Derby was also mostly on blacktop, apparently I did not take many photos or did not upload them to photobucket. Will add photos at a later date.

In Derby there is a massive Boab tree (Prison Tree).

The massive ancient Boab Prison Tree is believed to be around 1,500 years old and sits on the outskirts of the remote northern town of Derby in Western Australia''s rugged Kimberley region.

The tree is an incredible 14 metres in circumference. With its hollow centre and door cut into its side, the Boab Prison Tree was once used by early police patrols as a staging point for prisoners being walked into Derby.

Today, the tree is a registered Aboriginal Site and is of cultural significance to local tribes.

Another site in Derby is the longest trough.

The cattle trough is 140 ft long and was originally built to help with the transporting of cattle to the wharfs in Derby. Farmers could stop here overnight and let their cattle have water before the last run in to Derby.
The trough can feed 500 bullocks at one time. The trough used to be filled by natural bore water under its own pressure, but now the water is fed by windmill pump.

I think the sunsets on our west coast are the best :)

Fishing off the Derby jetty.

From Derby we ventured on the Gibb river road, our first stop was Tunnel Creek and Windjana gorge.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
The landscape is amazing in the kimberley no matter where you look.

Fresh water crocodiles litter the sand banks at Windjana gorge. They are placid but do not get too close.

Walking around the gorge.

My normal camp set up.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
The waterfalls in the Kimberley are a must see and most are an easy to moderate walk.

Keep any eye out for the small frogs that call the rocks home.

If staying more than a night I will set my swag up inside my Oztent.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Sandy river bank.

We got some late rain after the wet season and got washed in, the owner asked if we could stay another night free of charge so that we would not cut up the track.

Here we are drying some clothing.

A beautiful Crimson Finch.

Monitor lizard.

Along the Gibb river road you will come across many river crossings.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Was fun watching this little finch collecting twigs for its nest, some were just too big for it.

This must be the most common photo/water crossing in all of Australia :)

Had to stop by at the thermal pools.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
In salty country now.

Wyndham WA

Came across this rolled ute, looks like he took the corner too fast.

Ivanhoe crossing a pretty unique water crossing.

George - a local fresh crocodile waiting for a feed at the caravan park.

Catfish fishing.

Coming into Purnululu National park

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Next stop Wolfe Creek Crater.

The Wolfe Creek meteorite crater is the second largest crater in the world from which fragments of a meteorite have been collected. The crater is 880 metres across and almost circular.

First and only puncture along the trip, old rail spike.

From here my mate and I seperated he continued into the Northern Territory and I drove back to the coast.

Do I need mouth wash?

A red/orange sunset caused by smoke in the air.

All in all the trip took 5 weeks and was a lot of fun, will be doing it again.

Kimberley.JPG

CalBears

Fantastic photos, thanks for sharing. Also appreciate the map to help visualize where you went. We're doing a short trip out of Alice Springs in August, but dream is to take a year to circumnavigate Australia, and your report is a great motivator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior