CAD Software

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Hey guys,

First of all, I want to apologize if this is in the wrong place. I know it's not nav software, but I couldn't really think of a better spot for it.
I'm looking for advice on CAD software.. I have very little experience with 3D design programs, but recognize what a powerful tool they could be. When I built my bumper, it took me about 14hrs. Probably 4hrs of fabrication work and 10hrs of staring at the pieces and the truck deciding what to do next.

I have begun to mess with Sketchup and so far I like it. It seems like everytime I feel like it is missing a feature or function, a quick search shows me how to do it. Bonus- It's free and relatively easy to use.

While I do like Sketchup, it's the only software I've really tried. I'd like to find out now if I'm learning a program that maybe won't serve me well later on.
Ultimately, I'd like to be able to construct a complex (ish) item like a bumper or truck bed in three dimensions, piece by piece. Then, when it comes time to actually build the thing, the program has a function that recognizes individual pieces and will generate what I would call a “cut list”.

If I’m able to print a piece of paper with each individual required component and it’s dimensions, I could take it into the shop and use that combined with the 3d image to easily construct the exact project modeled on the computer.

I currently use spreadsheets for this function in my work, but we just make gates. Much simpler and essentially 2d..
For all I know, Sketchup may have a plugin or something for this function, but I haven’t found it. This seems like a really obvious feature for programs like this, but I just don’t know much about the options out there.

So, does anyone make software that does this? I realize it may be something I’d have to pay for.. but I’d rather not have to go back to college to learn to use it.

Thanks!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Solidworks will unfold your model and figure out all your bend allowances etc. ProE does as well (IIRC). These are expensive and take time to learn. You could probably get close with something like AutoCAD but I think it is a little more limited in terms of figuring out you your blank based on the model. Still somewhat expensive and time intensive to learn.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Solidworks will unfold your model and figure out all your bend allowances etc. ProE does as well (IIRC). These are expensive and take time to learn. You could probably get close with something like AutoCAD but I think it is a little more limited in terms of figuring out you your blank based on the model. Still somewhat expensive and time intensive to learn.

Thanks for the suggestions, it narrows things down and gives me some ideas to look into anyway. Mapping bends would be pretty helpful as well..

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Solidworks is probably the most popular 3D modeling package out there. I use Autodesk Inventor HSM - I like that it is a fully integrated CAD/CAM/HSM package. If you search you'll find my posts on the frame replacement I did on my Fuso - all that design work was done on Inventor and I emailed the files to the fabricator who cut/bent/welded/painted it all up for me.

I also use Inventor to to all the CAD/CAM work for my CNC mill.

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Unfortunately, since I do have access to professional CAD programs I've not been paying much attention to freely available ones. Having quoted Solidworks for my company, yeah, unless your loaded...not happening.

Draftsight is a free AutoCAD clone of sorts, but it's 2D only. It's a product of Dassult Systems, which is Solidworks. 2D is better than no D when it comes to precision, but if you don't have drafting experience I'm afraid it will be a steep learning curve any way you go, but possibly less of a curve than jumping directly into 3D. That said, I do this for a living, and some days I find myself back in 2D to lay out profiles. 3D is an awesome tool, but sometimes you go back and forth between tools when your working.

Think of it this way, 20 years ago entire vehicles were designed in 2D. It's very possible to do some very good design work in 2D. Almost all my design ideas start in 2D and get moved to 3D once I get the basics worked out.

If you must 3D, Sketchup is okay. It's a surface modelling program, I'm used to solid modelling, so it drives me nuts trying to use it. PTC has some free software they will let you install. I use PTC professional software daily, and I didn't like the free junk, even if it was somewhat familiar. Then there is stuff like ViaCAD, inexpensive 3D modelling. Still a learning curve. There is a crop of newer very basic 3D programs based around the 3D printing field, many of those are free or very cheap.

My advice, is learn to do it in 2D. Many people think 3D will think for them, and it will, but you need that deep 2D background to get to the point where you can build in 3D and know how to make it think for you. When 2D makes sense to you, 3D starts to become easy.

Honestly, if you want my frank opinion (too late here it comes) unless you want to make a habit of this work, get you some cardboard, lots of it, a roll of tape, a long ruler, and a marker, and build with that. Make you a mock-up, get your cut sizes, check it all 3 times, and once your sure its all good, build it with steel. I have 3D CAD, 2D CAD, a dual screen workstation, precision measuring devices, and a shop full of trained machinists and fabricators willing to assist me. If you think I'm too proud to grab a piece of cardboard and start from there, your wrong.

I have a degree in Drafting and Design, and I'm back in school for one in Engineering, and 8 years on the job. You know what the first tool they gave me to start learning this was?

A pencil.

Last edited:

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Aaaand all my hopes and dreams are smashed to bits..

Seriously though, thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. I really do appreciate the feedback from everybody.

-KP

itshanney

I would recommend Onshape and AutoDesk Fusion 360, specifically starting with Onshape. Onshape is a startup that has Jon Hirschtick as a founder and on the board. Jon is the founder and former CEO of SolidWorks, so he knows a thing or two about CAD software and building companies. Onshape is looking to basically be a CAD solution in the cloud priced where the common maker, hobbyist or commercial entity can afford it without sacrificing your firstborn. Autodesk Fusion 360 is an equivalent product from Autodesk, but I would start with Onshape based on the solid foundation from the SolidWorks era.

https://www.onshape.com/cad-pricing
https://www.onshape.com/learn

The best part is it's FREE for hobbyists and makers. They also have a ton of tutorials to get you started. Good luck in your CAD endeavors!

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Wow, those both look great. Thanks for the tip on OnShape. I hadn't heard of them before, looks like they're just getting started..

Just to throw another complication in, my wife and I are hitting the road for a few years in October, so I'll probably not be able to make use of web based apps much.

I'll definitely play around with it though,

Thanks again!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Onshape looks to be great, but the last few attempts to utilize it proved less than stellar

Its cloud based, and currently has a significant lag when operating.

Looking at reviews, it seems Im not the only one reporting it.

They might be able to fix the problem as they tune things up, but for now I wont be using it.

Maybe if it was offered in a download copy that I could run off my PC....

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Maybe if it was offered in a download copy that I could run off my PC....

The lag has always kept me away from the cloud based offerings too.. Google Docs is great until you throw some ridiculous spreadsheet at it.

I can only imagine how slow things would be trying to work off some Mexican bar's wifi, or through what 3g I can find in Baja.

OnShape does look great though, I'll give it a shot while I can (assuming I can avoid lag) and keep an eye on their progress.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It is definitely frustrating.

Its seems to be a great bit of software.

I think its just too much data to transfer back and forth....

I've read reviews/reports of users on 12meg/sec connections with the same lag issues Im seeing.

Im at a wopping 3megs/sec :coffee:

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
If any of the OnShape guys are out there listening, I'd definitely be willing to pay for a downloadable version of the free cloud software..

millerfish

Adventurer
Being a bit spoiled having access to Catia and Unigraphics I have not looked at any of the other offerings out there for a while. However for a long time I used Autocad 2000 it is fairly easy to learn and does most of what I needed. If your interested I can send you a copy with a universal key code. I am just not sure what the compatibility with newer windows OS would be...

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Hey guys,

Thought I'd do an update here.

I ended up getting fairly into Sketchup as it was a really easy transition. All the keyboard shortcuts were intuitive and it was great to have something calculate cut and bend angles for me.

I used it to build my custom aluminum truck bed (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/155868-Custom-camper-friendly-truck-bed) and it helped immensely. The bed was a huge step up for me fabrication wise. Three dimensional aluminum cabinets on a frame that needs to twist without breaking are a long way from pretty gates that keep in rich people's annoying dogs. Everything I modeled in Sketchup first came out nuts on. Everything I winged is a little less "finished".

I was a bit frustrated with the surface modeling of sketchup for some stuff, so at the recommendation of an engineer friend I've met on the road (seriously, at least half of long-term overlanders we've met have been engineers) I'm working with Fusion 360 now. It has an outrageous amount of features and seems to be a very powerful tool. It's meant to work online, but is a natively installed client and can be used easily offline.

Lots to learn, but Autodesk has a huge library of good tutorial videos and PDF files. It's also free to use if you're a student or make under $100k/year using the software. I'd be happy to pay for it if it could make me six figures.. :)

http://f360ap.autodesk.com/courses/getting-started-in-fusion-360

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne