Chevy Express window 'flares' for sideways sleeping - any interest?

sclark900

Long time lurker here. I recently purchased a 2013 Chevy Express AWD 8 passenger van for use as our family's adventure wagon. I'm not wanting to custom install a fold-out bed for several reasons - mainly I want to keep the options of the 2 bench seat configurations and the stock seat-belts. Being able to sleep sideways at the rear of the van would be ideal and free up a lot of options for set-up, but at 6', the space is short by several inches. Flarespace makes flares that provide about 10" of extra sideways space once installed, but they only make them for Sprinters. I reached out to them to see if they'd be interested in making some for the Express van and they initially said it was a possibility and asked for measurements of the van. After providing the info I never heard back after several follow-up attempts. So, I'm thinking of just building some!

That said, I checked in with some folks I know at a local composite manufacturing firm to see what it'd take to get a mold designed and built for such product. Got a ballpark $ of around 10k. Obviously that doesn't make sense for just one set of flares, but perhaps if others were interested, it could be a win/win (total product cost divided by # of interested parties = cost of flare). I'm thinking at least 10 people to have it make sense.

There's a lot of details regarding payment that'd need to be worked out and probably some sort of contract written up to protect everyone. But before getting to all that, I just wanted to gauge interest. So if you might be interested, reply here and we'll gauge if peeps are down for the idea or not and go from there. Thanks.

Scott in Bend

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I'd be interested depending on price point. $1000 probably not but if it got down close to $500 I could see going for it.

4Fox

Observer
That's a pretty cool idea Scott. I'd be in for the right price (~500)

Looking more at that sight, those Flarespaces go for $1500!

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
10k sounds like a tool that they would use to crank out several hundred parts. I bet a cheaper one could be made if it were for 10-20 sets. If your decently handy with wood, bondo and primer you could make the master plug and then have a composites person pull a master mold off of it and then make a few parts out of that for the folks interested here.

sclark900

That handy person, I am not. But if someone was and wanted to do that instead, I'd be game to contribute.

Another thought is that if a high quality mold could be made through the original proposed channel, perhaps it could be sold to someone who wanted to make a business out of it and all those who pitched in on the original could get their investment returned via the proceeds (or a portion of it). Win/win! I have no interest in making a business out of it at this point, but someone else might. I just want a quality set of flares - don't care how!

10k sounds like a tool that they would use to crank out several hundred parts. I bet a cheaper one could be made if it were for 10-20 sets. If your decently handy with wood, bondo and primer you could make the master plug and then have a composites person pull a master mold off of it and then make a few parts out of that for the folks interested here.

carleton

Interested, but honestly my interest level is probably not going to match that price level. We already sleep sideways in the van, but we're only 5'8", and I'm thinking of thinning out my insulation to gain an inch or two.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
I'd rather see some slick adaptation of the little pop-outs on the hybrid campers that could mount inlieu of the side windows.
like the rear one below. but sized appropriately.
coyote.jpg

sclark900

I'd rather see some slick adaptation of the little pop-outs on the hybrid campers that could mount inlieu of the side windows.
like the rear one below. but sized appropriately.

That would be slick. But more complicated for sure. I've not seen one of these pop-outs in action. Does it essentially just fold down? Getting a proper seal would likely prove to be a challenge as it wouldn't be a permanent solution like a flare. But w/ this method, you'd only have to do one side as it would provide ample footroom.

Hmmmmmmm.........

86cj

Explorer
The GM Vans do have the Pro Access panels that are a heavy duty factory pop out panel, they even open by your key fob. I have looked at a few and it looks like a new window van is the donor van before the drop ship due to the lip for the weather seal under the bonded glass. (Just like you can't put a factory window in a cargo van sheet metal side stamping). The Pro Access panels are showing up in the junkyards they have been available around ten years and they can be in great condition, they used to be available in colors but have been white only for many years. I have thought about it alot and think some screen is about all that's needed, you could get the extra room and bring in the open air.

If the GM side flares see production a flange for both cargo and passenger style sheet metal would be good if possible, the GM vans are still in production so making the flares still has the potential for sales I would think.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I always thought a pop-out tent in the side of a van would be amazing for space utilization. Something like this:

http://www.united-trailers.com/Pop-Out-Tent

The trick would be having the pop-out panel match the rest of the body curve, then supporting the enormous hole in the side of the van in a way that doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the chassis/cab. I think the bump-out window replacement is a clever and very simple trick, but in my case it still wouldn't afford the amount of space I'd need to make it worthwhile. I agree with what others have said here though, for a short run the tool shouldn't cost more than $3-4k. Getting the per-piece price down to $500 though will be next to impossible unless you really want some poorly manufactured (read:chopping gun) fiberglass product. I wouldn't personally bother with anything that wasn't hand laid with a mixture of woven and random oriented fibers with a quality poly or vinyl resin with well sprayed gelcoat. For that, I'd be skeptical of quality for anything less than $1000 per side.

SG

Accrete

Explorer
while I would have enjoyed the extra floorspace by going side-to-side I would also miss the under-bed storage that is available when building lengthwise. And I've never come home from an adventure kicking myself for having to much room under the bed, and this is in a RB chevy so only ~10ft behind the cab for the build. just got to be creative in the floorplan to suit your lifestyle.

on fabric out the side, interesting idea. And while my wife's and my adventures do include camping under fabric (our hammocks), we do like the idea of solid metal home-on-wheels when we want to extend camping into the late fall or early spring when bears are foraging in the low-lands. And i'm not sleeping outside to be a bear-burrito! so it's cozy time inside the steel walls. I don't think I could do canvas out the sides, even though it seems like a cool idea to get more room in there.

wbbbhex.jpg

: ) Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz