Redman's small build

Redman333

Adventurer
So A bit of background. I started modding with my 350Z that I put way too much into and didn't get anything really back on it. It was fun to drive but cost a lot every time I took it out.

Then got into off-roading and exploring. Fell in love with getting out and finding new places. So without knowing a whole lot about good off-road rigs I started at the most logical place, to me at least. A 2001 wrangler. This was nice except it was Way way too small. I also had a lot of issues with it that I ended up fixing. I made a few installs on the vehicle that I wouldn't consider very professional looking either. So traded it in for a 2012 JKU. Liked this except it wasn't very comfortable. Especially on a longer journey. Loved the open top though. Ended up selling this and got into a Land Rover discovery 2 hoping for a more comfortable ride. It was definitely more comfortable but not even close to reliable. I have fixed a bunch of things on the rover. To the point where it's probably good now for a long time however it's left a bad taste in my mouth due to this.

I actually still own the rover now but it's up for sale. The funds from the rover sale will partially fund my LX build. After owning the rover I started searching for a reliable 4x4 and everything pointed to the land cruiser play form. So here I am now with an 04 LX470 with 138k miles on the odo. It spent all its life in NC so absolutely no rust. It has been serviced at Johnson Lexus of Charlotte and then Raleigh and has had all of the services done on time.

Build sheet

Armor

Dissent front bumper
Dissent modular rear bumper with dual swing outs
Not sure on sliders yet

Suspension

Slee AHC lift over ride
Now I'm wanting to go with a fairly large tire size up front mainly for some of the trips we go on. I originally though I could do an AHC lift and run this until I can do a full suspension lift. Not sure if this will work or not but that's the plan for now.

Wheels & tires

Factory Land Cruiser 18" wheels
Tires-nitto trail grappler 285/75/18

Roof rack
Gamviti full expo roof rack with sun roof cutout.

Storage
I really like trekboxx's design and fit and finish but not sure if that's the route I want to go. I may just try building something similar. Not sure if I have the skill to do this or not.

Lights
Pfrans led light kit-done
Wanting to do an hid or led headlight conversion
Swap tails for factory led tails

Misc other stuff
Want a full detail(w/paint correction and protection)
Carpet cleaned. It's pretty clean now but there are a few spots I want fixed.
Dual battery setup
Some sort of solar to help charge the batteries during the day
On board water storage and hot water system
Seat covers of some kind
Install spoiler

I'll do all of this in stages.

Anyway here are the first pics I have of her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Benc

Explorer
Nice! Looks clean.

Not sure if you have seen or not but I'm working on a roof rack that would go nice with your dissent bumpers
I'm pretty happy with my 285/75r18s! They measure at 35x11.2. Seam to fit much better than the 315s,

I got the opportunity to check out the trekbox system last week and wow! Definitely worth it and I will be going that route soon.

Looking forward to seeing the mods take place!

doubleroses

Adventurer
Look just like my 06 LX470! I like the way Trekbox look and function but could never spend that kind of money on drawers. I picked up a set of Arb drawers from Craigslist and have had nothing but great performance from them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Redman333

Adventurer
Nice! Looks clean.

Not sure if you have seen or not but I'm working on a roof rack that would go nice with your dissent bumpers
I'm pretty happy with my 285/75r18s! They measure at 35x11.2. Seam to fit much better than the 315s,

I got the opportunity to check out the trekbox system last week and wow! Definitely worth it and I will be going that route soon.

Looking forward to seeing the mods take place!

Wow I didn't realize you had that size. What lift are you running to squeeze those in there.

I have seen your roof rack and like it. A couple questions. Will it be as low profile as gamviti's. This is a big concern for me because after I'm done with everything the big girl will maybe be able to fit in my garage by a fraction of an inch. So every inch counts. Also how soon will it be available because this will be one of the first things I get. I've got kayaks and paddle boards I load on the roof all summer.

Redman333

Adventurer
Look just like my 06 LX470! I like the way Trekbox look and function but could never spend that kind of money on drawers. I picked up a set of Arb drawers from Craigslist and have had nothing but great performance from them.

Yea when I first saw the price I said absolutely not. I think it was something close to $5k. Then I saw they discounted it recently so now it's closer to $3600. I can stomach this a bit more. I added up what it would cost to make something comparable and it was in the $2k range. So for me it's worth it to get the fit and finish of the trekboxx to spend that much more. I appreciate a very well designed and executed product.

Benc

Explorer
Wow I didn't realize you had that size. What lift are you running to squeeze those in there.

I have seen your roof rack and like it. A couple questions. Will it be as low profile as gamviti's. This is a big concern for me because after I'm done with everything the big girl will maybe be able to fit in my garage by a fraction of an inch. So every inch counts. Also how soon will it be available because this will be one of the first things I get. I've got kayaks and paddle boards I load on the roof all summer.

I'm only about 2" over stock, the only trimming I did was on the pinch weld in the front.

I not sure how much the gamiviti adds to the overall height but mine will be about 2" higher at the highest point of the roof,
This is less than the factory roof rack.
I'm still a few months out on the rack so I understand if you need something sooner. The gamiviti rack is a nice option.

Benc

Explorer

There is no comparison between the arb and trekbox drawers IMHO, The price tag is high but you get what you pay for. All the hardware and slides are the highest of quality.
Fwiw, this system cost about $3000 just to build with the same quality materials.
I also considered building one my self as I am plenty capable but after pricing it out the time it would take to build one the trekbox is worth it to me.

doubleroses

Adventurer
There is no comparison between the arb and trekbox drawers IMHO, The price tag is high but you get what you pay for. All the hardware and slides are the highest of quality.
Fwiw, this system cost about $3000 just to build with the same quality materials.
I also considered building one my self as I am plenty capable but after pricing it out the time it would take to build one the trekbox is worth it to me.

I agree on all of your points and if I had $3k to spend on drawers I would totally get these. The ARB'S work better for me with the price. I got my my two drawers and fit kit for the 100 Series for $800. Craigslist special :)

Benc

Explorer
I agree on all of your points and if I had $3k to spend on drawers I would totally get these. The ARB'S work better for me with the price. I got my my two drawers and fit kit for the 100 Series for $800. Craigslist special :)

Nice, the price is definitely hard to swallow and I wouldn't be able to afford it if we were not working out some trades. But if it's in the budget I highly recommend the trekbox from what I saw when I looked at them.

Redman333

Adventurer
I'm only about 2" over stock, the only trimming I did was on the pinch weld in the front.

I not sure how much the gamiviti adds to the overall height but mine will be about 2" higher at the highest point of the roof,
This is less than the factory roof rack.
I'm still a few months out on the rack so I understand if you need something sooner. The gamiviti rack is a nice option.

No higher then stock height would be great. I'm thinking no later then June 1st is what I'm wanting as far as a roof rack.

97LXAZ

Nice LX. I'm curious on something a little more affordable than a drawer system :Wow1:...how to you like those Weathertech floor mats? Looking at them for ours.

Redman333

Adventurer
Nice LX. I'm curious on something a little more affordable than a drawer system :Wow1:...how to you like those Weathertech floor mats? Looking at them for ours.

Well I like the front. Not sure if you can tell from the pics but it seems either they aren't the correct mats for the back or they need to be trimmed to fit. Not sure which. The truck came with them. I was actually planning on seeing if I could get them to fit better in the second row tonight. As for the fronts they are pretty nice. They have deep ridges that catch all the sand we have here. They don't fit as snug as if like but so far they have protected the carpet under them and I have very little sand that is on the carpet that the mats missed.

Redman333

Adventurer

Here's a better pic of the front drivers side. You can see the ridges and how it doesn't go very high up to really keep trash in the mat not on the side. You can somewhat see the sand that had not made it on the mat closest to the door. With all the sand you see in the mat now the ridges are deep enough that when I slide my feet around I still can't feel the sand under my shoe.

Edit: forgot to post the pic

Last edited:

jhawk

Adventurer
Here's a better pic of the front drivers side. You can see the ridges and how it doesn't go very high up to really keep trash in the mat not on the side. You can somewhat see the sand that had not made it on the mat closest to the door. With all the sand you see in the mat now the ridges are deep enough that when I slide my feet around I still can't feel the sand under my shoe.

I have the mats front and rear also, and love them. They do need to be trimmed, they are somewhat universal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier