Hello From Alaska

aausmana

Adventurer
Good day folks,
I'm new around this forum, but not new to traveling the north country. Since about 2002, I've traveled overland, over sea, and over freshwater by snowmachine, dogsled, 4wd, bush plane and canoe. The Yukon River is my preferred highway to get to other rivers.

Pictures to follow...........

Welcome! Great history there!

Last edited:

AK.xplorer

Observer
thanks man. Hey, here's another UPOL raptor job done up by those Russians:
I used to despise truck bed liner, but I'm starting to get over the remorse of spending $500 on all that UPOL and etching primer.

Dalko43

Explorer
Couple of things:
1) What branch did you serve with?
2) The inline 6 configuration seems to be the best setup for getting good torque in both diesel and gasoline applications. If I recall correctly, the old Nissan Patrol also had an inline 6 gasoline engine that Middle Eastern turners took to pretty high HP and torque levels. And the Cummins Diesel I6 is known pretty well for its torque output. I'm guessing that that's why you keep singing the praises of the inline 6 while disregarding "minivan" V6's and V8's?
3) In my experience, the more recent Toyota V6's and V8's, while nothing special have served adequately as powerplants for their respective 4x4 rigs...so yeah, some people prefer to engine swap in 4.7L V8 into a LC 80 vs reworking the existing inline 6....nothing wrong with either approach.
4) The author of the article you referenced is Scott Brady, one of the founders of this website and Overland Journal....not saying you need to recant or revise your opinions, everyone is entitled to them, but just FYI.
5) Why all the diesel hate man? Are they really not well-liked in Alaska? I've talked to guys who come from northern areas, and the general consensus I've heard is that most modern diesels can start up just fine in cold weather with the proper equipment (block heater, glow plugs, ect.).
6) Which breed of dog do you prefer for sledding? Malamute or husky? I've heard the huskies are faster and better at racing but that the Malamutes are stronger and tow larger weights? Any feedback on that?
7) Do you hunt with your dogs? Or do you have your dogs out with you at your hunting/campsites? I'm a hunter myself, but where I live (NY) you can't hunt anything with dogs except small game and some coyote...just curious what other states do and don't allow in terms of dog hunting.

Great to hear someone's perspective on these vehicles. Welcome to the site!

AK.xplorer

Observer
1.) Army

2.) I like the ease of maintenance and the ease of accessing everything. On another note, I was weighing a chevy 350 crank the other night, and the inline six cranks are generally 30-40 lbs heavier. The connecting rods are heavier too. I think it's the momentum of all this mass, and the firing sequence of the cylinders, that allows all that torque to come in, at insanely low RPM's as opposed to a V8 of comparable displacement. That really matters when trying to keep traction in certain situations.

A perfect example would be to compare the torque curve of a ford 300, to a ford 302 of equal build. The inline six has one of the flattest torque curves around.

Another decent example, is watch some of these comparisons between the Bmw inline six cars and the V8 Lexus. BMW is one of the few automakers who continue the inline six development. When they briefly dropped the inline six, because you know what Americans want (v-engines), BMW enthusiasts were outraged. BMW quickly brought them back. Though the lexus has that exhilarating exhaust tone, the BMW always wins the comparisons, generally clocking faster times on the track as well.

3) Automakers are really pushing the one size-fits-all v-6. It's more cost effective, and they fit in a multitude of vehicles to include front-wheel drive cars and minivans. Because of the firing sequence of a six cylinder engine, extra engineering goes into balancing the things. The toyota v6's are good engines yes, but these inline six engines are a dying breed. I hope someday, that Toyota will bring this engine configuration back.

4) Noted

5) No diesel hate whatsoever. The Toyota diesels are great engines. The fuel economy is not all that much better though. The 12-ht doesn't have glow plugs btw. At 50 below, without something like an expensive webasto heater, you're not going to get a diesel started. I come off trails where there is no place to plug in a diesel. I think if I lived somewhere like Australia, I'd go diesel for sure. My friend and I towed a 20 ft twin axle trailer with about 4000 lbs of scrap metal about two weeks ago. The torque from that hj-61 is lovely. I remember helping an older man two winters ago. He ended up with frost bite on the tip of his nose. His newer Dodge diesel truck wouldn't start after coming back in from his cabin. We built a tarp enclosure around his entire truck, and put a wood stove in there! We got it started many hours later.

6) My Malamutes weigh between 140-210 lbs. I enjoy their style. I did use the team on a winter moose hunt, just four dogs can haul an entire moose. I like the huskies too, but they're 1/3 the size, so couldn't integrate them into the team, or they'd be killed by the malamutes. Most people can't handle Malamutes because they like to fight, and are larger than most men. I've read where they've fought to the death if unattended. It's some sort of MMA/UFC event every time I have to break up a fight, but with fangs and blood everywhere in a split second. I don't mind though, a couple blows to the tops of their heads, and they'll usually stop trying to kill each other, you'd think they were from a Detroit dog fighting ring or some ****. A close friend of mine runs huskies, and has raced them as well. They're great dogs too. Much faster breed as well. A guy up the road by the name of Joe Henderson wrote some books on the Malamute Breed. Get his books if you want to learn more. This dude is about the toughest son of a gun up here. His team is huge! I have a man crush on him:

7) No, the dogs don't really help with the aspect of hunting. I bring a couple Malamutes on hunts though, to keep me aware of bears. They are very quiet breed, so don't bark or spook game.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
AK.xplorer,
Thanks for the answers!
I actually agree with a lot of what you have said with regards to inline 6's and manufacturers trying to cut costs by using the same powertrain in numerous applications. I actually had the pleasure of owning/driving a BMW inline 6 and I totally agree that the low-end torque was amazing (granted it was also turbo charged). I have never dealt with an inline 6 in a truck/SUV application, but I do recall quite a few old SUV's that used to have them (Jeep Cherokee, LC 80, ect.) and I can see how their low-end torque would be relevant to such applications. That said, I've also driven Toyota's V6's (specifically the 1GR-FE) quite extensively. Toyota does seem to have designed them and used them exclusively for truck/SUV applications, and given their decent low-end torque and mediocre mpg, it makes sense. So I don't think Toyota was trying to cut costs with the 4.0L V6, but maybe get better fuel mpg (relative to the inline 6)? Truthfully, I don't know why they stopped using the inline 6. I will concede that the new Tacoma's 3.5L V6 was a blatant cost cutting measure...it's basically derived from the 3.5L V6 that Toyota and Lexus use in many of their cars and crossovers, and the torque comes in at a higher RPM; I don't think of it as a true truck engine.

I've never driven a diesel up that far north, so it is interesting to hear your perspective on that. I would have thought that diesels, especially the newer ones have the tech to deal with cold weather starts. I've had to start my own 4runner in weather that was -25, and it barely got going so it seems they all have trouble at a certain point.

Very interesting to hear you talk about working with your dogs. I've read/watched quite a bit about dog sled racing in Alaska (which I believe mostly use huskies) but it's cool to see that many people actually rely on these dogs for work and livelihood as well. I didn't realize that Malamutes got that big. I've had some interest in getting one at some point, since I prefer a dog that can handle colder weather and has some innate drives....I have a 100lb German Shepherd who actually has a very decent temperament and somewhat strong prey and play drives, so I like to think that I'm somewhat experienced with those working type dogs, though I'm sure the breed has its own quirks just like all the others. So you don't use your dogs to actually hunt but you do have them out there with you? I'm guessing to help haul the animal once you've made a kill and deter bears? Ever have any trouble with wolf packs? In my state, I can't even be afield with a dog and a rifle (larger than .22) unless I'm hunting coyote or small game or waterfowl. It's a crying shame because in some areas, the woods are very thick and a dog's nose would come in handy for tracking down a wounded animal. I might have to visit Alaska.

Last edited:

AK.xplorer

Observer
I forgot to add, my biggest load I've towed so far was with an HDJ-81:

I found a 1978 3/4 ton Dodge power wagon plow truck with 35,000 miles! It was monstrous. With a 24 ft twin axle trailer, I hauled that sucker 30 mins across the city of anchorage, and about 5 hours on the highway through the mountains.

The little landcruiser that could........

AK.xplorer

Observer
Dalko,
Check out the tow ratings for that new tacoma-camry: 8.7 mpg towing a moderate trailer.

The 4.7 V8 does better than that.

I like these new whizz-bang slogans: "Atkinson-Cycle"! "Direct-Injection"!

Dalko43

Explorer
Dalko,
Check out the tow ratings for that new tacoma-camry: 8.7 mpg towing a moderate trailer.

The 4.7 V8 does better than that.

I like these new whizz-bang slogans: "Atkinson-Cycle"! "Direct-Injection"!

Direct-injection I like, it's the high-revving, low displacement 3.5L that I don't like....I just don't see that as a true truck engine in the same sense that the 4.7L V8 or 4.0L V6 are.

I'm thinking Toyota was looking to save some money and so used the 3.5L from their Lexus and Toyota sedans to create a "new" engine for the Tacoma.

I just hope they don't do that for the next generation 4runner.

AK.xplorer

Observer
Youch,

I just traded the fzj80 for a 1992 Dodge W350 with a five speed manual and smelly intercooled cummins rattle trap. It has 210,000 miles. I just bought land and will need to haul building materials, firewood, and a dog team. I will definitely need to spend 2 grand on a webasto heater, should I ever want to get the thing started at 50 below. A diesel starter will draw over 300 amps. You better make that first start count at 50 below.

The young guy wants to do a trip through Canada, and do some off-roading as well. This young guy fell in love with the rig immediately after driving down muddy rutted trails, and 70 on the highway. I don't think he knew a solid axle rig could ride so well on inhospitable terrain. The first place he drove, was to the gas station, haha!

The truck:
Dana 60 front, Dana 70 rear, 4:10 gears, np 205 transfer case, getrag 5 speed, 235/85R16 tires.
It's like riding on a cinder block. The transmission shifts good. I will never drive this thing unless something needs to be hauled.

Last edited:

AK.xplorer

Observer
I forgot to post pictures of one of my prior canoe rigs, a right hand drive hdj 81. With the heft of the diesel engine, the ride down trails to the water's edge was very comfortable. Overall, it was a decent rig. The tire carrier worked great to hang an outboard motor onto.

Attachments

• P5180012.jpg
    P5180012.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P5180013.jpg
    P5180013.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 20

AK.xplorer

Observer
I had also restored an 18 ft frontiersman freighter canoe a few years back. As a massive freighter canoe that was fairly rare, I've never felt such an authentic Landcruiser experience, traveling overland in a 60 series with that canoe atop. Exploring beautiful lakes clad with an ampitheater of mountains in the back ground, it was nice to come back to the ole 62, faithfully waiting to finish the trip through the bottomless mud holes and loose gravel hill climbs back to the road:

Attachments

• fj62.jpg
    fj62.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 16

AK.xplorer

Observer
So the 80 series conversion to a four door truck came out well, after the upol raptor job, it was a good trade for a 1st gen cummins.

I also finished the head gasket job on the lx 450 and sold it to a friend in Tok. With those rebuilt/balanced injectors and rebuilt head/shaved head, man is that thing strong. I've never seen a 1fz-fe idle so smoothly. My friend loves it.

My newest 80 series is a Green 1996 with the factory lockers. I'm going to modify a 4x4 labs rear bumper to hang a surface drive motor off of. I'm still undecided as to which full length rack I'm going to use. I've been unimpressed with the weight of an ARB rack. Having came from texas, it's not winterized. I've bought a block heater, oil pan heater and on board trickle charger.

Finally, after owning four 80 series, I got my hands on a locked one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne