Hello From Alaska

AK.xplorer

Observer
Good day folks,
I'm new around this forum, but not new to traveling the north country. Since about 2002, I've traveled overland, over sea, and over freshwater by snowmachine, dogsled, 4wd, bush plane and canoe. The Yukon River is my preferred highway to get to other rivers.

When I was a skinny Indian kid, I used to run around the back woods of Maine on a Honda XL 500 with a break-down 20 gauge shotgun and fishing pole in my pack basket. I'd go after ruffed grouse, and lots of brook trout. I called that Honda my Iron Horse.

I tried a unicycle one time as well, my tail bone still hurts.

Over the years, I've learned that you're very limited to what you can see here in Alaska/Yukon/BC, by flooding a bunch of money into a 4wd. Rather, bushplane tickets, snowmachines, boats, and dog teams are must-use methods of travel, and money well spent. There is far more to a north country skill-set, than sitting inside a vehicle, as many of you know. Getting a vehicle to start at 50 below, breaking up a dog team fight, cutting up a moose, catching your supply of fish, etc. My builds are usually conservative, as I don't crawl over rocks in Utah or Cali. Money has to go into my dog team, my boats and other outdoor equipment. I call them Canoe Rigs, as there's a canoe on top of my 4WD's almost all spring/summer/fall. I'm originally from northern Maine, and those weirdos back home even put canoes on top of mustangs, cameros, mini-vans, etc.

I've built the following vehicles:
1988 isuzu trooper was my first:
Metallic Sandune paint
Arb rear air locker
3 in body lift ( only for access to all sorts of things)
3 in calmini lift
terra-low transfer case gears
calmini front and rear sway bars
flowmaster exhaust
desmogged
new clutch

Pros
the 2.6 l engine/aisin 5 speed was bulletproof and very peppy. The 4 wheel disc brakes were nice. The stock 4:56 gearing was great. It was cheap to build. It never failed. I overheated it three times, the head gasket never failed. The flipping thing was so slim, I could fit down the tightest trails. It was like a poor man's 70 series. That was 2002, the thing is still driving around the area.
Cons:
The ride quality with the bigger torsion bars was harsh, so I just drove faster. The wind noise was intense. The seats were noisy. The fuel consumption was only 17 mpg with 265/75's.

2004 Double Cab Tacoma TRD(bought new):
Old Man Emu suspension
ARB bumper
Champion Winch
IPF lights
Rhino Linined truck bed
Add a leaf for better towing
Yakima bars with full sized cargo basket
Wet Okole Seat Covers
Pros:
Toyota warranty was great for fixing the grenaded front end. I put 97,000 hard miles on this thing. It held up well.
First and foremost, it would start at 55 below zero unassisted (screw diesels)!
Great shifting transmission. Immense power in 4 low.
Nimble, Reliable, Versatile, decent on fuel when in 2WD.

Cons: Once the excitement and pride of buying your first new vehicle wears off I found that: Everybody has one, they are not unique. The turning radius was terrible. Rear drum breaks?! Too light in the rear end, too small, no low end torque because v6's are mini-van engines, no rear swaybar, partial c-channel frame, terrible front seats after about 3 years. I blew up the front diff, and the rack and pinion steering as well, just towing firewood down a trail. Only got 13 mpg around town in 4wd in the winter time, so don't tell me that Land Cruisers are worse on fuel.

1990 FJ62 landcruiser:
Fully rebuilt head shaved 30 thousandths
Desmogged
2.5 in magnaflow exhaust with new cat
spidertrax wheel spacers
tacoma rims
Old man emu suspension
fj60 manual door and hatch conversion
A million maintenance jobs. I nicked named it the most expensive, most beautiful garage whore I've ever owned.
Pros:
Gorgeous vehicle! The looks, defeated the negatives, but the romance wore off. Lots of bed space to sleep. Heavy, good for not sliding off the road in icy conditions. Good weight distribution. Simple, clean interior. That grey interior is timeless, and by far my favorite.
Cons:
Expensive, non stop maintenance jobs, bloody horrible motor with no power, terrible shifting transmission. In order to make it better, it costed more than I wanted to spend for the 5 speed conversion and camshaft regrind. I learned that down shifting to drive-3 was a must use item up hills. For such a nutless wonder, it gave you fuel economy like a hummer: 9 mpg around town unladen with zero weight after impeccable maintenance with all OEM parts.

1996 Toyota T100
235/85 tires rims
2.5in Dynomax exhaust
roadmaster active suspension
Cab over utility rack
Rancho shocks
Pros:
Great 5 speed manual transmission, clean and simple interior with manual doors, reliable, decent load hauler, strong frame, surprisingly capable offroad, Made in Japan. After the roadmaster active suspension, it had the width to haul heavy boat atop the rack without dangerous sway, and I could stack firewood all the way to the top of the utility rack. Why I even pulled an entire moose down a four wheeler trail back to the road. Tough truck with better dimensions than a Tacoma.
Cons:
The mini van engine had no low end torque, and is not a full sized truck motor. Rough ride. Terrible body sway due to no rear sway bar. This was fixed completely with the roadmaster active suspension. Torsion bars, are nonsense.

Current builds:
1996 FZJ 80 Truck Conversion
. Transporting my dog team, moose meat, salmon coolers, and trash runs all smell bad. I want them out of my atmosphere, without having to spend money on importing a 70 series truck.

1996 LX450 daily driver (No road noise, I can't believe this thing is from 90's):
People say these don't make sense as a daily driver. BS. When I was driving on glare ice after freezing rain, I witnessed a half dozen people crash into each other on the highway three months ago. I thought: "screw the fuel economy". With high end snow tires, this vehicle is amazing. On glare ice, I raced an Audi A6. It was stupid, but I had to test the limitation of this Lexus Land Cruiser. This urban ****************** was irritating me with his tail-gating and driving like a jerk. At 106 mph, I won. His car started fish tailing at higher speeds and he was forced to slow down. What a way to realize that it's time to do the head gasket......going out in glory. I smiled for about 30 minutes, even after dumping 3/4 of a gallon of coolant in the radiator, to get home.

After running down Klutina Lake Trail all the way to Klutina Lake (10 hours of trail roundtrip) in the Toyota T 100 last fall, my back hurt for days. The limited suspension travel of all IFS Toyotas are terrible when you're constantly hitting the bump stops. Screw spending a bunch of money modifying 4runners and tacomas, when there's the 80 series.The ride quality of an 80 series turns inhospitable terrain into something far more tolerable.

I love everything about that 1fz-fe torque monster. My father, mother, and grandfathers all ran inline six chevy trucks, fords trucks, and slant 6 dodge trucks when I was a kid. These inline six engines are the real deal. I couldn't imagine removing this engine like others have done. The full floating axles are gusseted, high pinion, and sporting disc breaks the whole way around. Doing the head gasket jobs on these are too easy. Couple grand to do it right, but money well spent. The adjustable leather seats have been way better than every Toyota I've ever owned. It makes inhospitable terrain less of a challenge as well, when the seats are adjusted to your aging back. Getting rid of all that worthless plastic fender flare and running board baloney has these rigs looking quite slim for tighter trails. I have to repeat myself: I can't believe that these rigs come from the 1990's. They are timeless. I am hooked.
I've been getting good power from the engines with a 10 thousandths shave on the heads, full header-back exhaust with only one catalytic converter, and advancing timing. No expensive forced induction needed.

Future upgrades to both vehicles:
Nomad valve bodies, torque converter lock-up switch, tranny temp sensors all from wholesale automatics.
4.88 gears/harrop lockers
The heaviest rear coil springs I can find.

I've driven or owned these others for a brief time as well:
1998 100 series (aka Sequoia as far as i'm concerned) Good vehicle, still a Toyota.

2000 4 runner with 5 speed manual. It was a great vehicle, fun to shift, and kind of sporty. Great shifting transmission, but boring minivan engine.

hj61 with auto. I drove it from Victoria Island to Alaska for a friend. I attended tribal gatherings along the way. Noisy, smelly, 16 mpg highway.

hj61 with 5 speed. Daily commuted for two months while I did a head gasket job. Torque at 1600 rpm's. Lovely use of power climbing hills, right where it needs to be. Noisy, smelly, 18 mpg highway

bj70 This was a weird vehicle, 5 speed manual transmission ratios were terrible, and the 4 cylinder turbo diesel was worthless and liked to overheat climbing hills.

hdj81 completely decked out in everything old man emu/ARB. Drove for six months. Not noisy, but smelly, 16 mpg. Was a great rig, I like the 1fz-fe better due to 50 below zero cold starts.

fj60 with plow. This 267,000 miles, rusted POS got bought by some Hollywood folks to film a movie in Seward. It's gonna be a movie star.

I don't get cookie monster eyes over diesel engines. I put three one-year tours in Iraq, driving and repairing dozens of up-armored vehicles around that junk yard.

Pictures to follow...........

AK.xplorer

Observer
The trooper hauled a boat, motor, three men and all my gear quite well on road trips.

I once put 700lbs of Alaskan Malamute back there as well, with a loaded dog sled up top. With that tall roof, it could fit a ton of stuff back there.

Attachments

• P8150092.jpg
    P8150092.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 278
  • P8220098.jpg
    P8220098.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 262

AK.xplorer

Observer
The Tacoma was a great rig. On an icy road up in the mountains, I literally got blown off the road with brand new studded tires driving 10 mph in 4wd. It had to have been a 110-120 mph gust. I couldn't even walk on the road, I had to crawl on my knees to someone's house because the winds were so strong. I got rescued by a friend in a Landcruiser, with bald tires. With blood pouring out the scratches in my scalp, knees, I told my friend I would have me one of them thar land cruisers. Weight matters. I usually had a bunch of sand bags in the bed on icy conditions, but gave it to an elderly fella with a rear wheel drive car, right before the rollover happened.

Attachments

• Custom Cargo rack.jpg
    Custom Cargo rack.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 55
  • family camping tirp.jpg
    family camping tirp.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 72
  • P1120245.jpg
    P1120245.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 62

AK.xplorer

Observer
Spent a month on the yukon and smaller river hunting moose. I boated in a blizzard for two days with a 56" racked bull moose. That FJ62 was a good Canoe Rig, towing an 18 ft freighter canoe with all that meat, and two Alaskan Malamutes.

Attachments

• drive to eagle.jpg
    drive to eagle.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 53
  • return drive.jpg
    return drive.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 55

AK.xplorer

Observer
The T100 was a great Canoe Rig. I was able to haul a 250 lb freighter canoe up top. Too bad they didn't put a 1fz-fe into that truck, with a 5 speed. A friend and I forded water that hovered around the air box. We were afraid it was going to stall. It made it no problem. We then got to the little creek we were trying to access, and poled a canoe 5 miles up the creek into a very large lake. Grayling were jumping everywhere and we forgot a fishing pole!

Attachments

• freighter canoe 1.jpg
    freighter canoe 1.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 45

AK.xplorer

Observer
I picked up the fzj80 back in september. I'm finally getting around to this project. I picked it up for $1800 with 157,000 miles. The rear was damaged from the winds blowing a tree onto it. That's why I'm doing the truck conversion, cutting out all the damage. Surprisingly, none of the rear glass shattered, so I traded all the rear glass, for an ARB roof rack. I'm going to paint the entire rig, with the tintable UPOL Raptor when I'm done.

This rig was the best $1800 I've ever spent. I have been using lots of aluminum angle and square tubing, self taping sheet metal screws and 5200 marine grade adhesive sealant. This flexible adhesive sealant is the toughest stuff you'd ever find. I just used the remaining carpet, to line the inside area. The rear seats are usable with even a litte space behind the seat for storage. where the rear pillar was cut, I reinforced the heck out of it with lots of metal, because the roof rack needs to bolt back there as well. The rear of the basket, and the front of the basket needs to be cut of the ARB rack, so that I can slide a canoe up into it. I'll keep the basket sides, as that will provide good lashing points for my big freighter canoes. I need to do some body work and and UPOL primer this weekend, before spraying:
cruiser1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
cruiser5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
cruiser2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
cruiser3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
cruiser4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

AK.xplorer

Observer
The 1996 LX 450 has 213,000 miles. I bought it for $4700 after selling my t100 for the same price. I repaired another vehicle to sell, and made $2000 profit off that. I then invested that directly into the LX.
I've spent $2000 on the head gasket job, all new seals, hoses, rebuilt head with all new valves +10 thousandths shave, reman denso alternator, new oem water pump, etc. So after flipping that vehicle for $2000 profit, I lost nothing to do this head gasket job. The cylinder walls still had the cross hatching! The carbon deposits on the piston tops cleaned up well after soaking in techron, and applying a little steam to them.

Three weeks before the woman sold this LX to me, she spent $4300 on it and gave me the receipts for:
Toyo Observe snow tires
American Racing Wheels (I don't like them, too flashy)
All new calipers, rotors and brake pads
Cover-king seat covers.

About my only cost so far is the full 2.5 in. exhaust:
$300 labor
$87 for a vibrant ultra quiet flow resonator
$93 for a Dyonmax VT muffler
$583 for a set of CX Racing Header/w down pipe.

lx1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

lx2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nmatcek

Adventurer
Great looking rigs, all of 'em.
Thanks for sharing. Any pics of your dogs with the sled? I bet that is a neat experience. My uncle used to live in Fairbanks but now lives just outside of Homer. I still have not had a chance to visit him but I'd love to see AK.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

doubleroses

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum. I've always wanted to go to Alaska. Thank you for starting my day off right!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AK.xplorer

Observer
Hi folks, thanks for the warm reception. I just read an article written by some sort of expert staff member, and it was really disappointing:

http://jalopnik.com/5958901/the-ten-best-used-vehicles-for-exploring-the-world

He claimed that the 4.5 inline six is a problematic engine and nowhere's near the caliber of the 4.7l V8. He also claimed the 80 series was only marginally better than a 100 series off road, and that the brakes are terrible. Nothing could be further from the truth. He recommended to have your 80 series driven to Slee for a 4.7l V8?

In reality, the brakes are fair, and easily improved. He based the harsh judgement off a heater hose and a head gasket? He then proceeded to call the Jeep Patriot a valid expedition vehicle for those looking for fuel economy? Isn't the Jeep Patriot listed as one of the most unreliable vehicles every made? I'm sorry, but overland travel and fuel economy rarely fits in the same sentence. Heavily loaded vehicles combined with heavily built 4WD drivetrains on roads that lack asphalt? He cited prior ownership of an 80 series as if it was some sort of rights-of-passage to draft the article.

A 20+ year old piece of rubber hose is not a problem, let's be realistic here. I don't care how hard it is to get to.
A 20+ year old head gasket sandwiched between two dissimilar materials is also not a problem, and not a valid judgment. I don't care what engine it is, when I see 200,000 miles or 15-20 years out of a head gasket, that is excellent.

Yes the 4.7's have trouble-free headgaskets, that is indeed magical. Swapping out an inline six head gasket is one of the most easy maintenance items. It takes two days of easy work to do the job.

I've seen F motors that needed them, 1fz's, and even 3.4 L 5vz's that needed head gaskets. I've never heard of a 4.7 Toyota to need a head gasket though, and that is impressive.

I just drove 12 hours round trip with a cab-over camper on a 2005 tundra towing a tiny trailer with a 600 lb snowmachine. I had to rev the snot out of the motor in the hills, to find any sort of usable torque. We averaged 9.8 mpg at 50-60 mph. Last year I hauled a boat, motor, trailer and fish coolers in a 1998 100 series. We got about the same fuel economy towing the boat with coolers full of about 130 gutted red salmon. Same deal then, you had to rev the snot out of the motor to find any usable torque. I was not impressed.

There are two types of 80 series owners. There are the guys that will delve in there and put the patient effort into the engines. Usually, these guys understand that for a half century, the word "Land Cruiser" meant inline six engine. The 1fz was the pinnacle.

Then, there are the mechanically incompetent millennials whose mothers wouldn't allow them to help dad work on the plow truck, because mom said that WD40 is not certified organic. These are the boys who pay too much money, to have real men to fix their Land Cruisers.

2scars

Adventurer
I don't think you will find many who will agree with your bashing of the writer's credibility, since he also founded this website. That article was written for the Portal first and reprinted to Jalopnik.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Awesome stuff man. I have always wanted to travel up there, especially after the Expedition overland team did. Looks like beautiful country. I have had a few of the same rigs you do. First gen tacoma, 80 series and now a 100 series. I miss the live axle, but thats really about it. The 100 is a huge improvement in my opinion.

AK.xplorer

Observer
Sempertoy, I felt kind of bad for the expedition overland crew, they missed alot of special places because they don't have intimate knowledge of the local places. almost everywhere they went, you could have done so in a toyota prius. But with a little bit of techno music, and some drama, it appeared adventurous. I'm glad some of my the places are undisclosed, in a way. I'll meet you in the middle, and say the 105 series is an improvement, sound good? haha!

I will be creating an overland and overwater based adventure company next year, I hope. I will run a fleet of 80 series Canoe Rigs. Where the trail ends, that's where it gets real. I have some fears though, especially with grizzly bears. When you get into a conflict point blank range with a grizz that rampages your campsite, it changes you. One of the best things to do though, is lounge around with your dog team and eat the entire bear. Then, render whats left into lard, cook nice pie crusts, and use the bear fat in your hair.

Ok, gotta go. I'm retiring a sled dog to an elderly lady, and picking up a couple pups.

Check out my boats if you get a chance:
www.freightercanoes.com

Oh, forgot to add, I will be copying this Russian dudes style on my 80 series Canoe Rig. I already got the UPOL black raptor for the truck bed and accents. I also got the UPOL tintable with the factory emarald green paint. I was weary about stepping away from paint, but i LOVE this look:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier