FTS 750 build

Brenie

Haven't done much in the last six months, time and money the usual issue, look forward to seeing your project up and running Beardinc.

Brenie

Thought that I might give an update on my FTS750 project.. Other than using my entire budget up on buying the truck and van, I got very little done trying to work on this thing under a carport, the weather never lined up with opportunity to work on it, either too windy or too hot, ( it gets very hot where I live ) I got up one morning and decided that if anything is ever going to happen, it must get in the shed.... 11 hours later and some silly risks to my health and safety, with it sitting on some trolley wheels attached at the back and the front hanging by chains off the front of the truck, I ground (grinded?) off the suspension components and squeezed it in to the shed.
Now I have got more done in the last several months than the previous year or so, I have replaced the entire front and down one side of the van, relined the walls and got most of the electrics sorted, also I have made a cabin pressurising system using a 12 volt continuous duty blower running through a Holden airbox and filter. With a little luck, I will get this thing done before I am too old to use it :)

Attachments

• Van in carport.jpg
    Van in carport.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Van to shed.jpg
    Van to shed.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Van new front.jpg
    Van new front.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 64

Brenie

An update on the worlds slowest expedition truck build, after much scrimping and saving, I have managed to get my super singles, VASS engineering approval, a roadworthy certificate and been to VicRoads and managed to get my truck registered.
I am still working on the accommodation cabin in the shed, plenty to do there, although the 240 volt wiring has been certified by an electrician, I'm fitting the water tanks between the truck's chassis rails, I'll fill them up, that can be a bit of durability testing while I drive the truck around. Hope to provide another update in a shorter amount of time than this one.

Attachments

• Truck rego'd.jpg
    Truck rego'd.jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 17

canter tourer

Adventurer
Finished...what is that you speak of. Mine is a constant evolution that gets updated after every trip as the kids get bigger.
The main thing is getting out and about in it, in whatever state that it functions well enough to camp, before we end up in aged care:):)
Dave

Andy Hino

I'm fitting the water tanks between the truck's chassis rails, I'll fill them up, that can be a bit of durability testing while I drive the truck around. Hope to provide another update in a shorter amount of time than this one.
Aren't you concerned with the tanks freezing?
I mean, the vic high country is pretty damn cold in winter....at least by Australian standards.
IM planning on keeping everything within the box to keep it from freezing, but maybe Im overthinking it.
Congrats on the rego. How were Vicroads to deal with? NSW RMS can be dicks about stuff, but luckily my neighbour can certify any modification I need.

Brenie

Aren't you concerned with the tanks freezing?
I mean, the vic high country is pretty damn cold in winter....at least by Australian standards.
IM planning on keeping everything within the box to keep it from freezing, but maybe Im overthinking it.
Congrats on the rego. How were Vicroads to deal with? NSW RMS can be dicks about stuff, but luckily my neighbour can certify any modification I need.

Never though about the tanks freezing, not really an issue in OZ, but I do want to go to the Victorian High Country, I put them there because there is plenty of room there and keeps the centre of gravity down low.
Getting the engineering done was surprisingly easy, I used Judengineering in Ballarat, they were great to deal with, Getting a roadworthy certificate was a long and expensive process though, VicRoads are pretty thorough on heavy vehicles.

Brenie

Really.... I am 10 years in and still nowhere near finished!

"Finished" is a loose term, getting to the usable stage

Finished...what is that you speak of. Mine is a constant evolution that gets updated after every trip as the kids get bigger.
The main thing is getting out and about in it, in whatever state that it functions well enough to camp, before we end up in aged care:):)
Dave

Ha Ha, getting to the evolution stage seems soooo far away !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles