2000 4runner a good vehicle?

Motoprof14

I have the option to trade my wife's sedan (right??) for a stock 2000 4runner SR5 (V6 automatic) with 108,000 miles. It's in really good shape for being 15 years old; excellent original bodywork, no rust other than usual surface stuff on the undercarriage. Single owner, always garaged.

What I'd like to know is, 1. how good of a 4x4 is this older 4runner for mild offroading (nothing extreme, just occasional sand and gravel) 2. how many more years can I expect to get out of it if cared for 3. any legendary problems/issues that are going to require attention/sig cost?

I would be doing a straight trade for my wife's 2010 Honda Accord EXL, 80,000 miles, so essentially losing 10 years on the trade. My wife is needing a LOT of convincing that this is not totally dumb. Promises of the White Rim Trail and beaches in Baja only go so far. Thanks!

p nut

butter
This is coming from a Toyota 4x4 enthusiast: Keep your wife's Accord. It is safer for her (unless she does lots of driving in the back country, or braves snow storms regularly), more comfortable, more efficient, and probably smells better. I would in NO WAY trade a nice sedan like that for a 16 year old 4Runner. Also, remember, gas prices will eventually change, and it can't go any lower.
_
That said, stock trim will get you to lots of places. First thing to check is to make sure 4WD, 4Lo, and rear locker (if equipped) all function. Make sure Timing Belt and Water pump has been done recently. Hit the highway, and see how tight the steering is, especially when you hit a bump/pothole. Bushings/joints may need to be changed out if you feel lots of play or bump steer. Check for strawberry milkshake.
_
But seriously, don't do it.

grampswrx

Observer
I agree that trade is totally dumb. Figure out a way to scrounge up the money for a 4runner and just add it to the fleet. I love toyotas and just sold my 1999 4runner for a Prius to commute in. I would no way want to be commuting 100 miles in the 4runner. But for $5-$6k, you can find a nice one and have it for adventures.

Furthermore, the value difference seems extremely favorable to the 4runner owner. At least get them to add cash.

CabinFever

Observer
I have the option to trade my wife's sedan (right??) for a stock 2000 4runner SR5 (V6 automatic) with 108,000 miles. It's in really good shape for being 15 years old; excellent original bodywork, no rust other than usual surface stuff on the undercarriage. Single owner, always garaged.

What I'd like to know is, 1. how good of a 4x4 is this older 4runner for mild offroading (nothing extreme, just occasional sand and gravel) 2. how many more years can I expect to get out of it if cared for 3. any legendary problems/issues that are going to require attention/sig cost?

I would be doing a straight trade for my wife's 2010 Honda Accord EXL, 80,000 miles, so essentially losing 10 years on the trade. My wife is needing a LOT of convincing that this is not totally dumb. Promises of the White Rim Trail and beaches in Baja only go so far. Thanks!

Its awesome. You can expect to get about 200k more miles out of it at least. Just put some good tires on it and youre ready to go. One thing you want to check before buying is the frame for rust especially if its an eastern vehicle.

Last edited:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Do you currently have a 4x4? If not a 4Runner is a great place to start. But, what are the driving conditions the Honda is usually used in/for? Do you really need/want 4wd with low range, etc... or would a Subaru be a better compromise?

There are advantages to both the Honda and 4Runner, it just depends on what needs take precedent. If you need the space the 4Runner provides and don't need the gas mileage of the Honda, I would certainly consider the swap. As others have said, maintenance history of the 4Runner needs to be considered. Only you can decide if the MPG difference is worth the hit.

4Runners are very capable bone stock, and there are lots of options for lifts from mild to extreme. Throw an Old Man Emu kit on it and some good all terrain tires and it would go nearly anywhere 99% of people are ever likely to go.

blackwood

Adventurer
The 2.4L engine in those Hondas are rock solid. 300k miles easy. Maybe rent an SUV when you want to go on trips?

basfire

Our cousins adult kids are still driving the '97 4Runner, 2.7 4cyl, 5sp man, 4x4 that I took out of my wife's death grip on the steering wheel. Actually it had 280,000 on it when I convinced her to move onto to a new gen 4Runner. I replaced the FACTORY CLUTCH at 275,000 and it still had life left. The head was replaced at 240,000. Steering, suspension, 4x4, AC, etc are still solid. The vehicle is well north of 300,000 now. It spent most of it's life in the Northern Sierra and now calls Salida Colorado home. Bottom line, there is a lot of life left in a 2000 with a little over 100K on the clock.

4runnerteq

Explorer
3rd gen runners are great trucks, but, heed 30 years of marriage advice. If you aint both on board with the trade. Stay away from it. If the runner gives you any trouble at all, you don't need that grief. You know the history of the Honda. Someone can tell you the Runner history, but it aint the same as living it and being familiar with it.

p nut

butter
Our cousins adult kids are still driving the '97 4Runner, 2.7 4cyl, 5sp man, 4x4 that I took out of my wife's death grip on the steering wheel. Actually it had 280,000 on it when I convinced her to move onto to a new gen 4Runner. I replaced the FACTORY CLUTCH at 275,000 and it still had life left. The head was replaced at 240,000. Steering, suspension, 4x4, AC, etc are still solid. The vehicle is well north of 300,000 now. It spent most of it's life in the Northern Sierra and now calls Salida Colorado home. Bottom line, there is a lot of life left in a 2000 with a little over 100K on the clock.

Caveat is your 4Runner was treated very well, as evident by the original clutch lasting over 275k miles. I've seen some ragged out examples that I wouldn't touch that had less than 1/2 the miles yours had.
_
By the way, how does your wife like the new 4Runner compared to the '97?

Motoprof14

So thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. As much as I want a solid 4x4, I also want a solid marriage, so I am going to steer away from this deal and bide my time. The Honda Accord will eventually go to my son. And the time will come when I can dive into the joys and tribulations of owning a bush-beater like the 4Runner. Again, many thanks for the input. My wife thanks you too - I showed her your all posts, and she has a newfound respect for the Portal.

ljfabes

Keep the accord i dd one 2yrs older than you wifes. If you can swing it pick up a higher mileage 4runner thats clean for 3-6k for a 4x4 weekend rig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles