4Runner Roof Racks

mountain mike

I love my camel bak rack, but fair warning it takes some time for rack to be made. I like the rails just because I transport surfboard a lot, and can put chairs and tables underneath them. My swift awning mounts nicely on the side as well.

How long it did it take to get from Camelback? I ordered one in February and he told me 3 months maybe a little longer. Did yours fall into that time frame?

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
I'm running the rhino rack pioneer platform. Can't say anything bad about it! All the options available are a plus too! I took custom dimensions and found a platform close to what I was looking for. They do offer one that would run full length.

99831cea264e0e1463db6f41e8bf9fab.jpg

7ac2257ef125390f34b11a7a72812c3c.jpg

I've been eyeing these too... can you show us how it's attached to the car?

Beanzermin

Observer
I've been eyeing these too... can you show us how it's attached to the car?

I don't have any pics of the mounting hardware. There is 2 tracks that get mounted to the roof. Then legs mounted to the tracks and the platform mounted to the legs. I used rivnuts and bolted the tracks to the roof

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
How long it did it take to get from Camelback? I ordered one in February and he told me 3 months maybe a little longer. Did yours fall into that time frame?

From the date I ordered it to the time I got was about 10 months which was with 2 weeks it took for shipping to Hawaii. So to answer your question No.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Originally my intent was to purchase a rack like JasonRedwood has from Drabbits (camelback) but the lead time killed me. I wanted it for my busy summer, and that did not seem possible. Today I finally saw one in person locally on a 5th gen 4Runner and it's truly a professional grade product. Very finished looking. Very refined. I really like my custom made rack, but I can see the appeal of the more refined "professionally" produced racks.

With powder coat, all materials, and labor my rack came out to right around $900. I think it was like $910 all said and done. This was about $100 more than the rack I wanted from Camelback with shipping figured in. The fabricator I worked with said I overpaid a bit on steel (I paid $110, he said he could have got it for closer to $65. Live and learn.) and he put in a LOT of hours on it @ $60/hr. He said if he were to make another one it'd be closer to the $700-$800 range since he now knows how things need to be done, and I wouldn't be in the shop bugging him =p

The most appealing part of my rack is that I drew it in AutoCad at about 2am on a Tuesday, and it was done, mounted on my 4Runner the following Monday. I drew it EXACTLY how I wanted it, and recieved EXACTLY what I wanted. No more, no less.

Here's a picture of the rack the day I got it mounted...
DSC_0089 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

And here it is this past Saturday with the tent mounted. You'll notice I now have a fairing. Picked up a "medium" inno fairing off of Amazon Warehouse Deals.
DSC_0004 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

And this past Sunday trying to get it dirty again...
DSC_0285 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke