Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

Velociraptor_TJ

Just FYI I was at the Overland Expo and the Smittybilt guys were there and even one of the guys for product development and he said at this time they were not working on and had no idea if an annex will be an option for the XL RTT. I told him they need to though. Even though I'm sure my opinion doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does have the zipper needed for the Annex tho so I would believe they planning one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volcanic Iceberg

I just got this response from smittybuilt customer service: New reply for the ticket #SB00010414

the annex for the XL tent is in the works, eta 90-120 days out.
Thank you,
Smittybilt Customer Support Team

corbinwelter

Observer
I have been looking at the Tuff Stuff tents, but the Smittybilt XL is 76" wide which is perfect for my family. Thats like comparing a double mattress to a queen. The only downside to the Smittybilt is the annex. I hope they release it soon and at a reasonable price. Also a plus the Smittybilt has the built in sky light. If you didnt know, all of these companies are sourcing them from the same Chinese manufacture, and this manufacture builds them to any spec as requested. No offense, the Tepui is a good looking product and a has an established name but your paying double the price for the same tent.

Redheddedwonder

It was stated earlier but not official sourced. The closed dimensions are as follows via smittybilt customer service

"New reply for the ticket #SB00011356

Closed specs are as follows:

47"Wx76"Lx11"H
Thank you,
Smittybilt Customer Support Team"

Lucky j

Explorer
Wow.

I ve just realized that the tepui tent mention 3 person tent at just 56" wide. That is only 18" per person of space. My rtt is 54" and yes we did slept one with 2 adult and a 9 year old, but is was not that confortable. So forget about 3 adults. Even 76" will be tight for 4 person. Maybe 2 adult and 2 younsters, but once they become teens, it will be cozy for sure.

Mattress dimensions per Customer Service are:

92.5" x 74.8" Ticket # SB00012175

(I didn't see them anywhere so I asked, sorry if I missed it)

MojaveMadMan

Observer
Maybe a silly question, but I really would like the XL so my kids fit up top too. 2ng Gen Tacomas have the 60" bed. Anyone running the larger RTT on the shorter bed with a little overhang?

Anyone have a update on their tent? Still like them ?

I have the regular Overland tent. I find the quality is better than I had expected TBH. All my seams are sealed and waterproof. However I too had to clean out some of the metal shavings from inside. To me that's not an issue. I had 3 reasons to get this tent:

1 - Price, can't be beat.
2 - Extreme Warranty through 4WP, means worry free ownership. Something breaks, rips, tears, I'll get a brand new one, can't beat this.
3 - Superficial, but the colour was also a factor for me. I like the black shell, and tan/olive/brown tones of the tent.

I was also suprised by the weight of it, it was actually lighter than I had anticipated and I was able to get it on top of my trailer by myself. I have only slept one night in it with my daughter at my house so I don't have any performance reviews yet, only first impressions and fit and finish observations. I found the mattress a little bit stiff, eventhough it seems plenty thick. I will add a thin soft foam topper and it will be GTG. Taking it out on a 4 day trip starting sunday, with 15-20mm of rain in the forecast, I'll report back after it has seen some field time.

After 3 nights of use, ups and downs, wind and rain, I can say I love this tent. It performed flawlessly. The Velcro isn't nearly as bad as I anticipated, it makes for a quick and easy set up and tear down. Even after rain, mud and dirt, the tent stayed clean and dry under its cover while getting splashed and covered as it was being towed behind on my trailer. Would I prefer buckles over Velcro for the tie downs? Maybe...maybe not though, Velcro won't break on you as easily. Overall? Great tent!

8090a30ab26bc3e0354b9dee26488dc4.jpg

75eb0f01aa6a5bb715badd49332f4b90.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles