Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
FYI: Smitty built is owned by the same company that owns: 4wd Hardware, 4 Wheel Parts, Rubicon Express, Pro-Comp suspensions and tires, and I'm sure more I forgot. They are getting into a little of everything lately. Their products may not be the best but they are good and reasonably priced. I have never bought anything from them that I wasn't satisfied with.

CDN_S4 what size trailer is that , this is the exact setup I am wanting to get into .

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

It's approximately 4x8. I replaced all new flooring yesterday.

6f06cdb0147871f9453a29aa9c7f9860.jpg

As far as the tent is concerned, I've now slept 6 nights in it and traveled over 1000km with it on my trailer, on and mostly off-road. I have shaken the crap out of my trailer at times and while that is probably more a testament to my trailer than to the tent, I have to say the tent is holding up perfectly. What I really like about it is all the venting possibilities it has with the star gazer windows. But even with them closed and just 1 side window open, I've had zero condensation inside, even with the temperature dipping below 10C and 2 people in it. Can't say I ever had that in a regular tent.

I gotta say I really like the LED strip they put inside and the fact that they made it a USB power cord that comes with a dual USB port lets you charge your phone over night in the tent.

Other than the Velcro, where I would prefer a zipper to close the cover, I can't say I have anything to criticize about it. Maybe down the road, maybe something will break and reveal a weak spot, but then I just get a free replacement so we shall see.

961e2980fcb26c2fa04cfaa88f75ab3f.jpg

b3a04903d139d92a6c19fe58bd153c44.jpg

c157b116c4db567bdc94e616ae504015.jpg

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
FYI: Smitty built is owned by the same company that owns: 4wd Hardware, 4 Wheel Parts, Rubicon Express, Pro-Comp suspensions and tires, and I'm sure more I forgot. They are getting into a little of everything lately. Their products may not be the best but they are good and reasonably priced. I have never bought anything from them that I wasn't satisfied with.

Plus they own G2, P4T, DSI, Transamerican (the parent co.) etc plus in Canada they own nat'l 4wd. There was a rumor a couple of years transamerican was looking at buying NTB or discount tire or someone like that.

tommyp

So you can't mount the xl to the roof? I have a tahoe so prob have the room. It says trailer only on their website but in pictures its on a car.

Volcanic Iceberg

I received 2 responce from smittybilt regarding an annex last October. One said it was in the works and would be released in a few months. The other said there was no annex planned. I believe it comes with half a zipper though right?? Odd that the responses would contradict. I'm ready to pull the trigger. It's the best price point available in a tent this size, but I want the added real estate of an annex.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I have a 900 dollar , 10 year old Mombassa "Economy special" that is getting along just fine. Spent literally hundreds of nights in it so far. Has the EXACT same crappy mattress as my much newer 3000 dollar James Baroud tent. I say go for the Smittybuilt man! More money for gas. :)

Volcanic Iceberg

Looks like the annex for the overlander XL is dead. From smittybilt:

We did a small run but upper management have decided not to continue with bringing it to market.
Thank you,
Smittybilt Customer Support Team

bstevens

Literally just got an email from smitty bilt saying the part number for the XL annex is #2888. Im ordering the tent and annex tonight.

ovrlnd lite

I bought the XL in May 2016. It is great tent with plenty of interior storage pouches and a long LED light string. Slept in it about 30-40 nights with zero issues. Wheeled down to Expo East last fall and compared the tent to many others and they are all very close as far as fabrics used and design. As someone else on here said, the same Chinese manufacturer is making 70% of these things anyway. I mounted it on my 3rd gen 4Runner with a Yakima load bars.

Miamihurr2006

Literally just got an email from smitty bilt saying the part number for the XL annex is #2888. Im ordering the tent and annex tonight.

Have you received your tent and annex yet? Pictures would be appreciated. I'll pull the trigger this evening if they have the annex. That's the only thing holding me back. I've never had an issue from smittybilt products in the past. Very happy with their products

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior