Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

Wynn

Wanderer
Richard! You stole my planned setup. ;) SB Scout and SB RTT. I think it offers great value with reasonable quality. How do you like it so far? Take it on the trail for a shakedown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichardPT

Richard
Hi Wynn,
as you mentioned it offers pretty good value for the money where you can have the whole set up (trailer, tent, awning, fridge and few other things) in sub 10k range. It's not a lightweight trailer (once filled with all the goodies mine should be pushing 3000 lbs) but it's towing well on the highway so far - I haven't taken it on any serious off-roading yet. It does turn heads (although that's not why I got it - I'm too old to care about showing off) and generates comments everywhere you stop :sombrero:
Putting it together was quite an experience in itself but I'm glad I did it as it helps me to look after it now.
Tent is working fine so far - I got the extended warranty for it and I have a feeling it may have to get used one day...I had a learning experience on my last outing - I noticed that when unfolding the tent one should pay attention to having the floor pieces get properly connected (aluminum grove needs to engage properly). If not done correctly there is a high chance of bending the floor once up in the tent. I'm in the process of changing the mattress as the current one is a bit of crap (2 inch foam). Haven't tested it yet in any severe weather.
Richard

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I had the same issue with the floor not joining together the first time setting it up and crawled in...
Now it just needs a little push from the bottom side to pop them together.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Mccaf

Adventurist
Hi everyone,
I was recently able to solve the longstanding question that was posted here a while ago - no, Smittybilt still does not offer an annex for the XL model but Tepui Autana XL (Gran Sabana) annex fits almost perfectly. Size is slightly off (SB is 4 inches wider) but parts match well (zippers, slider) and the only modification that may have to made is making another hole for metal rod that supports the window opening on one side.
Couple crappy pictures from my driveway set up are attached ;-)
Cheers,
Richard

Great effort for figuring this out..
Been following this thread and hoped there would be a solution...
Unfortunately I purchased up 23zero Bundaberg Demo but ended up spending a little more.
I have a lot of SB products and despite what they say about the quality and so on
They've scored pretty decent with me on most of them..

BTW- there's a Bundaberg 23zero FS in Tyler TX for $1500 P/U in the classifieds (9-10-17) FRICKIN AWESOME DEAL!

Last edited:
I just got mine and 100% happy with it. Mounted it to my trailer that we use to carry the side by side. Just waiting on the ladder extension. Got it on autoanything.com for $880 shipped as I found a sight that was giving a 20% discount on all smittybuilt and they honored it
f7be6937ed4f3ce89eb4bb3b7608f2fc.jpg

0fe06fe88e682f51155b4e2ccd1c49d7.jpg

46f079fe46478dd20a17b764876ec784.jpg

bc1aa72c21f5d0f3d092931c6506115a.jpg

Last edited:

RichardPT

Richard
Now that's a penthouse suite 😉
Congratulations, you can probably just put a block of wood or anything else solid enough under the end of the ladder since ladder is not taking the weight of occupants anyway.
Problem I found with having a tent so high up is opening the overhang and windows- I'm 6'4" and I use a portable box or stool to reach up.

Wynn

Wanderer
Yellowskeeter,

Looks like a pretty sweet deal. What site did you find that had the Smittybilt 20% off? I might try for the same deal.

I think it was 4wheelonline that had the sale in all smittybuilt parts. I would spend some time searching the web until you find something one sale and then call and let autoanything know and they will match it. Was a really easy transaction with them.

Mccaf

Adventurist
I just got mine and 100% happy with it. Mounted it to my trailer that we use to carry the side by side. Just waiting on the ladder extension. Got it on autoanything.com for $880 shipped as I found a sight that was giving a 20% discount on all smittybuilt and they honored it
f7be6937ed4f3ce89eb4bb3b7608f2fc.jpg

0fe06fe88e682f51155b4e2ccd1c49d7.jpg

46f079fe46478dd20a17b764876ec784.jpg

bc1aa72c21f5d0f3d092931c6506115a.jpg

Hey Yellowskeeter,
Just wondering if yo had a chance to tow that rig yet and how the high-mount handles with the JK. The trailer I am buying has the low rack at 56". Add the 14" closed tent and I'm at 70". The top of my JK is 73. Just seems like a high C.G. I'm interested in hearing
How your towing experience is , or anyone else for that matter, specifically with a JKU.
Thanks!

It seems to tow fine. I've towed it empty just with the rack and tent and have towed it with the side by side. I tow with my jeep all the time and other than the jeep won't allow you to be in a hurry, it handles and toes great. We have a trip to padre Island National Sea Shore in October and it's a 70 mile one way on the beach plus a 5 hour drive from the house so will know better after that. Had my welder instal some side supports Friday so stiffen the rack a little bit more but all good. This is what I normally tow on the beach fishing trips :
15b38e0b38b9f875ec7c3e6b05c629e4.jpg

20435d5476cad9c089bffd5c266ce2fd.jpg

ArkansasDon

Observer
I'm currently building a expedition trailer & already purchased my tent. I went with Smittybilt for numerous reason. I bought the 2783 for the good reviews (you tube & sight reviews) it has on line. I checked all of them out very thoroughly & price isn't a issue with me. What liked about the Smittybilt over "some" of the others was the ladder, flat rungs vs. round rungs, sliding rungs vs. telescopic rungs. I was a painting & wallpaper contractor for 20 plus yrs before I started my current business in the firearm industry. Flat rungs aka D rungs ladder runs are easier on the feet especially when your up in age. Another factor I liked about the Smittybilt is the safety strap (going & out for the wife), the interior LED light, 12v socket cord all in the same package where others didn't offer this as a package deal (extra's only). I talked with Smittybilt about the Roof Top Tent & asked them to tell me more about the tent vs. the competitors and they were very helpful & easy to talk with, were others NO names mention (bashed Smittybilt) when I ask about the comparison, right there that turned me off of them. As a business owner I do not make it a habit to bash my competitors nor I will allow my employees to. Haters will hate a product from past history or what others will say & follow their lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles