Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

simpletrip

WHY DO YOU SLEEP ON TOP OF YOUR VEHICLE?

JUST LOOKING FOR A REASON TO HAVE A ROOF TOP TENT SYSTEM WHEN YOU ARE NOT IN A LOCATION WHERE SOME ANIMAL IS GOIING TO EAT YOU?
THEY SEEM TO TAKE UP A LOT OF ROOM IN A ROOF RACK. THEY LOOK TOP HEAVY AND WHAT A PROCESS IF YOU NEED TO PEE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.
I HAVE CAMPED FOR DECADES IN MANY PARTS OF THE WORLD AND COULD NEVER FIGURE IT OUT???

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
JUST LOOKING FOR A REASON TO HAVE A ROOF TOP TENT SYSTEM WHEN YOU ARE NOT IN A LOCATION WHERE SOME ANIMAL IS GOIING TO EAT YOU?
THEY SEEM TO TAKE UP A LOT OF ROOM IN A ROOF RACK. THEY LOOK TOP HEAVY AND WHAT A PROCESS IF YOU NEED TO PEE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.
I HAVE CAMPED FOR DECADES IN MANY PARTS OF THE WORLD AND COULD NEVER FIGURE IT OUT???

Quick to set up and rattle snakes don't need to eat you to cause problems. And why all the shouting?

Mccaf

Adventurist
I called around and found out the annex was "discontinued." So I am guessing that smitty is not moving forward with the sale of the annex? I wonder if they will even discontinue the tent. I can't believe they make much money on it anyway at that price point.

I am might buy a tepui annex and see if it fits ($120 on their site). I'd be tempted to spend the extra bucks on the tepui tent, but they are out of stock, and twice the price is a hard sell.

Good point. Wondering that myself. I mean, what is so different between annexes? CVT has
A very similar color. Anyway, I may have to start looking at measurements...
Or researching a custom made. Hell, it's just a fabric with a zipper? Did someone say there was a half zipper ready
to go?

So question to those that own one. What do they mean there is a separate entrance underneath? (So you don't bother someone inside)? I had to laugh when I read that... Also, how many crossbars does it need to mount and what is the distance between them?

Thanks for the informative thread all!

rudee13

The xl does have a zipper along the bottom skirt for an annex to connect

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jbbob

How's the Overland XL with a 7'2" mount height?

Has anyone tried the Overland XL at a taller roof height? I'm thinking about putting one on a low roofed Ford Transit 350, which has a clearance height of 6'10", which means factory roof rack rail height is probably 7'2". Looks like SmittyBilt has a ladder extension that adds 12". Anyone have one of these on a lifted vehicle that might be of similar height?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

In the desert the ground temperature that your sleeping bag and mat are on can be significantly warmer (20-30 degrees Fahrenheit) than the floor of a roof-top tent 4-8 feet off the ground, a significant difference in comfort. Good enough reason for you?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Remember this thread is about the smittybilt XL and the annex is not available yet. If you are looking at the smaller tent there are some deals going on now if you look around.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I talked to the Smittybilt Rep at Overland Expo, who told me that the XL Annex was cancelled. There will not be an annex. He did, however, explain that the ARB annexes would attach to the zipper.

FandL

JK ADDICTION
I called around and found out the annex was "discontinued." So I am guessing that smitty is not moving forward with the sale of the annex? I wonder if they will even discontinue the tent. I can't believe they make much money on it anyway at that price point.

I am might buy a tepui annex and see if it fits ($120 on their site). I'd be tempted to spend the extra bucks on the tepui tent, but they are out of stock, and twice the price is a hard sell.

Has anyone tried the Overland XL at a taller roof height? I'm thinking about putting one on a low roofed Ford Transit 350, which has a clearance height of 6'10", which means factory roof rack rail height is probably 7'2". Looks like SmittyBilt has a ladder extension that adds 12". Anyone have one of these on a lifted vehicle that might be of similar height?

Jbbob

I'm putting the XL on top of my M101 rack, which is a little over 7' high. I'm ordering the RTT next week and will post the pics asap. I'm not sure if the ladder will be the appropriate length, even with the extension.

Check out my expo trailer for comparison image.jpg

SEREvince

Adventurer
Anyone with info on delivery status. I ordered Apr 21 and was told early May. I called about a week ago and the guy said they had arrived stateside and would arrive this week in store. I just called again and the guy said they are on a boat and maybe late June?

I planned on having it mounted and doing a shakedown before the NW Overland Rally. I'd settle to see it arrive in time to get it mounted. Looks like now it won't even arrive until after, and at the current rate of their back peddling it's looking like winter time before anyone sees one.

As aside I've been on hold with 4wheel parts for 15 minutes and counting. At about the 11min mark, some one picked up, said something unintelligible and put me back on hold.

Any killer deals on tents at the Rally? I'll pay for some help mounting it Thurs in ice cold gin and tonics!

fjmario

Adventurer
Anyone with info on delivery status. I ordered Apr 21 and was told early May. I called about a week ago and the guy said they had arrived stateside and would arrive this week in store. I just called again and the guy said they are on a boat and maybe late June?

I planned on having it mounted and doing a shakedown before the NW Overland Rally. I'd settle to see it arrive in time to get it mounted. Looks like now it won't even arrive until after, and at the current rate of their back peddling it's looking like winter time before anyone sees one.

As aside I've been on hold with 4wheel parts for 15 minutes and counting. At about the 11min mark, some one picked up, said something unintelligible and put me back on hold.

Any killer deals on tents at the Rally? I'll pay for some help mounting it Thurs in ice cold gin and tonics!

I don't know of any "killer deals" but I might be able to get 10% off GOFSR RTTs ;)

Skrahenbill

I ordered mine on 5/10 from 4wd.com and was told i would have it the first week of June. Then I called on May 23rd to find out when it was going to be delivered they told me they were getting their shipment in on June 19th... and then it would get shipped out from their warehouse to me. I'm not too happy about having waiting 2 months...

SEREvince

Adventurer
After waiting on hold for 15 min with the 4wheelparts 1800 #, they hung up on me. Needless to say I was not impressed. I sent an email outlining my previous contacts and phone call and requested a informed answer on the delivery date. I got a call from the local Post Falls location and he was very polite and apologetic. He offered the ARB in lieu so I could have it for the NW Overland rally. Unfortunately it's too small. Despite the local dealers best effort to locate any available XL tent, it doesn't look like it's going to happen in time. I'm going to look at other options.

fjmario

Adventurer
After waiting on hold for 15 min with the 4wheelparts 1800 #, they hung up on me. Needless to say I was not impressed. I sent an email outlining my previous contacts and phone call and requested a informed answer on the delivery date. I got a call from the local Post Falls location and he was very polite and apologetic. He offered the ARB in lieu so I could have it for the NW Overland rally. Unfortunately it's too small. Despite the local dealers best effort to locate any available XL tent, it doesn't look like it's going to happen in time. I'm going to look at other options.

Check out GoFSR ;)
*edit* I ordered some stuff from them two days ago, and itll be here by EOD tomorrow.... that should be enough . time for the Rally

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94