Smittybilt Overland XL RTT-New product.

Varano14

Just placed an order for one of these through 4wd.com. I was kicking myself for not getting one back around Christmas when they were on sale. As of now they are paying the tax and shipping plus 10% off. My total was $990 plus I tried the ebates thing so maybe I'll end up with some cash back. Either way I can't wait.

Yeti1

Rack is 1.25" aluminum with an 1/8" wall. The rack is 96x40. Made it so long because I was thinking of going with a larger tent originally. Hope this helps

BAM298

Looking at getting this tent but wondering if I need a larger trailer for it....I currently have a 3.5ft x 5ft trailer, looks like the footprint of the trailer closed is roughly 4ft x 6ft, what do you guys think about that much overhang? Obviously I could built the rack to be wider than the trailer base itself, just not sure if 8" overhang (even if supported by roof rails) is took much front to back. (this is if I take the 60" trailer and place the 76" tent over it evenly, gives me 8" split front to back)

Yeti1

The weight is on the tent rails which are about 3 feet apart which are less than its 48" closed footprint. Overhang shouldn't be an issue as long as the mounting rails are on the rack.

Shane

FlightMedicJP

Just placed an order for one of these through 4wd.com. I was kicking myself for not getting one back around Christmas when they were on sale. As of now they are paying the tax and shipping plus 10% off. My total was $990 plus I tried the ebates thing so maybe I'll end up with some cash back. Either way I can't wait.

I hate myself for not ordering it then too. It was down around 849 with free shipping. Ugh. Hopefully I can order it soon for the summer for my trailer.

Varano14

I hate myself for not ordering it then too. It was down around 849 with free shipping. Ugh. Hopefully I can order it soon for the summer for my trailer.

All said and done mine was about 950 to my door. I didn't feel like waiting a year was worth the last $100. Can't wait to try it out, if anyone has as suggestions for a shakedown run near Philadelphia I'd love to hear them.

Volcanic Iceberg

I got my tent installed and spent a night in it in the back yard with three of my kids. I am very happy with it so far. It seems to be well made. I didn't have metal shavings or any defects that I could find.
I like that it came with the electrical accessories. It collapses with room for the sleeping bags. Mattress is thin but comfortable. There was actually plenty of room for us. I haven't set up the annex yet. It's likely too short for my set up so I'm working on making some adjustments to lower the rack. I think I'll also buy a telescopic ladder as well instead of the ladder extension.

I got my tent installed and spent a night in it in the back yard with three of my kids. I am very happy with it so far. It seems to be well made. I didn't have metal shavings or any defects that I could find.
I like that it came with the electrical accessories. It collapses with room for the sleeping bags. Mattress is thin but comfortable. There was actually plenty of room for us. I haven't set up the annex yet. It's likely too short for my set up so I'm working on making some adjustments to lower the rack. I think I'll also buy a telescopic ladder as well instead of the ladder extension.

Glad to hear! I just placed my order, now the wait begins. Should be here before any planned trip though. Ladder is probably an issue with my setup as well, but I'll deal with that when it comes up.

Silly question. I'm also looking at purchasing one these. Actually told the wife and kids I did and now they are mad because they just realized I was kidding, the fact the wife was mad tells me I need to order ASAP. Anyway, do these just mount to the factory roof rails/cross bars ? I've seen tons of youtube videos but don't recall seeing an install videos( maybe I should look for some). Thanks in advance.

Varano14

Silly question. I'm also looking at purchasing one these. Actually told the wife and kids I did and now they are mad because they just realized I was kidding, the fact the wife was mad tells me I need to order ASAP. Anyway, do these just mount to the factory roof rails/cross bars ? I've seen tons of youtube videos but don't recall seeing an install videos( maybe I should look for some). Thanks in advance.

Yes it has hardware to mount it to cross bars. What are you looking to mount it on. The weight rating of whatever roof rack system you have is a factor. This tent is around 140-150 by itself if I remember correctly.

Yes it has hardware to mount it to cross bars. What are you looking to mount it on. The weight rating of whatever roof rack system you have is a factor. This tent is around 140-150 by itself if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check the factory weight limits. That being said I'll be mounting it on a Tahoe for now, and then when we purchase a jeep later this year or early next year it'll move over there.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check the factory weight limits. That being said I'll be mounting it on a Tahoe for now, and then when we purchase a jeep later this year or early next year it'll move over there.
The factory crossbars on my GMT800 Suburban were too flimsy for my liking. Maybe fine on the highway but consider the rough roads you will likely be bouncing down...
I mounted mine to 3 Thule square bars and personally wouldn't recommend anything less.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Volcanic Iceberg

Just wanted to report, I have 3 nights under my belt in the tent and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Last night was cold, windy and rainy. Tent performed flawlessly. It handled the wind very well and we didn't get any moisture inside other than some condensation on the metal bows. Slept myself, my father and my two boys no problem. Lots of room. Still haven't used the Annex yet but looking forward to it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles