2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Awesome rig. few questions. Roof rack on page one...is that a rhino platform? and can you please get some more photos of the IPFs going up a dark road in the night? they look awesome!

kojackJKU

Oh crap, that's much cheaper than what I thought. Awesome. The platform going on my patriot for sure! deadly....thanks for the link...and anxiously awaiting some pics of the lights....they look awesome.

ColtonCook

Man, I'd love to see an update on this build! Thinking about picking up a crosstrek, I'm just intimidated by the lack of aftermarket support and possibly limited interior modifications I can do.

This build is definitely starting to change my mind on these aspects

ADVSubaru

Observer
Man, I'd love to see an update on this build! Thinking about picking up a crosstrek, I'm just intimidated by the lack of aftermarket support and possibly limited interior modifications I can do.

This build is definitely starting to change my mind on these aspects

Haven't done too much to the car. My wife had surgery so things have been sort of slow around the compound. I'm actually in the process of building a trailer - there just simply isn't enough room with a fridge freezer in the back. To be honest I sort of like the limited (albeit growing) aftermarket support for them.

Here's a shot for a few weeks back.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Sorry to hear about the wife going under the knife. Never 'routine' no matter what they say. To her good health. :beer:

We went camping this weekend to a place that offered meals as part of the deal, and so no cooler, no kitchen, and no dry goods, and we barely fit in the Prius (camping with infants requires tons of stuff). Point being that I'm now hard set on doing a trailer. Northern Tool now offers a 5x8 aluminum trailer kit that is fairly light (265lbs) and ~1700lb capacity. (Note: Dinoot sells a spring upgrade kit to eliminate the slipper springs.)

There are also a couple of inexpensive, light-weight options, like Runaway Trailers, Bushranger 200, VMI, Dinoot, TC Teardrops, etc. I'm trying to decide what will work best for me other than <1000lbs loaded. I'm also toying around with some 'drop on' boxes to an off-the-shelf utility trailers. I like the idea of being able to use the trailer for more than just camping.

I just remembered see an aluminum flat bed trailer with a bolted on pickup rack. To that was mounted 4 aluminum truck boxes and other things to secure the various accessories. That looked pretty flexible and couldn't have been that heavy.

Post details about the trailer, when you have time.

jpat30

Adventurer
James,
I have enjoyed reading through your build here and so glad I found it. I am currently in the market for a Crosstrek, searching for a Desert Khaki w/ a stick,. Anway, I have a couple of questions for you. If I understand from your thread, you installed your current tire/wheel package before you lifted the vehicle. Do those methods clear the calipers ok or did you have to run spacers or grind down the caliper at all? Second, what if any hit did your overall mpg take with the new combo. One of the main reasons I will be making the switch from jeep to Subaru is the MPG honestly...Thanks for your time and sweet ride once again.
Jeremy

ADVSubaru

Observer
James,
I have enjoyed reading through your build here and so glad I found it. I am currently in the market for a Crosstrek, searching for a Desert Khaki w/ a stick,. Anway, I have a couple of questions for you. If I understand from your thread, you installed your current tire/wheel package before you lifted the vehicle. Do those methods clear the calipers ok or did you have to run spacers or grind down the caliper at all? Second, what if any hit did your overall mpg take with the new combo. One of the main reasons I will be making the switch from jeep to Subaru is the MPG honestly...Thanks for your time and sweet ride once again.
Jeremy

Nice! I wish I would've opted for the 5spd over the CVT. Yes, I had the wheels and tires prior to the lift (205/75R15 General Grabber AT2s) and the wheels cleared everything fine. I honestly didn't calculate it with just the wheels and tires as I put the RhinoRack on at the same time. I would expect to still hit the 30's with the wheels and tires.

jpat30

Adventurer
Awesome! Thanks for the info. What do you think you see mileage wise with the rack (but no RTT) on?

ADVSubaru

Observer
Awesome! Thanks for the info. What do you think you see mileage wise with the rack (but no RTT) on?

Even with the factory cross rails in place mileage take a pretty big hit. I hovered around 28-29 with the rack, wheels and tires. With an ARB Simpson III I hover around 22mpg and with a James Baroud I'm at 25-26mpg. I would like to note that I never go close to the advertised rating -- I typically hovered around 33-34 miles per gallon when I was stock.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Nice looking rig you got there! Keep up the good work!
Thanks!

Hi!

I just registered, searched Crosstrek and read through this thread! Love the mods so far!
Awesome, glad you dig it!

Not many updates to report as of yet but I've been hard at work. I have a ~2000 mile trip that spans 10 day across six states and two Canadian territories in a few weeks so its been crunch time getting everything done before then. The biggest project is undoubtedly the trailer - lots of fab work has been done to get it up to par before the trip. Since there is not enough room in the Crosstrek, the trailer will be key to being able to roll around lighter when disconnected from the car, carrying more provisions, as well as providing a great home base since the ARB tent and awning are being mounted to it. The trailer will also hold all food that don't need refrigeration in hopes to keep bears out.

The other work involves a custom swing down tire carrier for a full size spare and rotopax - but more on that later :bike_rider:

Here's just a quick shot I took over this past weekend where my dad is helping with welding.

Hopefully by the end of this weekend, it will be complete enough to show the outcome of countless hours of work! :wings:

kojackJKU

Nice! I wish I would've opted for the 5spd over the CVT. Yes, I had the wheels and tires prior to the lift (205/75R15 General Grabber AT2s) and the wheels cleared everything fine. I honestly didn't calculate it with just the wheels and tires as I put the RhinoRack on at the same time. I would expect to still hit the 30's with the wheels and tires.

I would never buy a rig that had a CVT. Had 2 previous vehicles with them and swore never to own another. Way to many issues, failures, odd driving feeling, etc. NOPE. I scratch anything with a CVT off the list. I was SOOOO HAPPY when Jeep ditched the crap CVT in the patriot and put the 6sp in there.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I would never buy a rig that had a CVT. Had 2 previous vehicles with them and swore never to own another. Way to many issues, failures, odd driving feeling, etc. NOPE. I scratch anything with a CVT off the list. I was SOOOO HAPPY when Jeep ditched the crap CVT in the patriot and put the 6sp in there.

I said the same thing after basically holding my breath for 1200 miles in a Nissan CVT that was absolutely horrid. I own a Subaru with 88,000 miles on it now its a CVT. I tow with it also. The weak link with the Subaru cvt is the torque converter, but at 120hp the XV wont have any issues.

The range of ratios and the highly active ratio management makes use of every bit of power available. My first hey this thing is pretty damn good was my first trip through the sierras. The cvt just gets it done and is pretty good. I find the rubberband effect complaint pretty funny, given ICE engines have rubber band like power curves, get rid of gear changing and this is really apparent the cvt did that. Dont like the rubberband power get a tesla. Its the only vehicle with a 100% flat power curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles