2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Build

ADVSubaru

Observer
After lurking ExPo forever and finally registering for an account a few weeks ago, I figured I'd finally start my build thread for my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek.

The goal for this build is to have a somewhat capable machine that will be able to tackle more than just fire roads but still to have a reliable vehicle for everyday driving. While there are a plethora of more capable rigs out there, I couldn't help but go with a platform that I know best - Subaru. I have almost owned Subaru's exclusively for the last decade and have owned 7 or 8 of them. I strongly believe that it doesn't matter what vehicle you have just get out there and enjoy the outdoors.

So with that said, here's everything that is planned for the build as of right now:
  • Method MR502 15" Wheels
  • 205/75R15 General Grabber AT2's
  • Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform Rack
  • SSD Front Bumper Light Bar
  • BajaDesigns 10" Stealth LED Lightbar
  • Rally Innovations/BajaDesigns LED Fog Lights
  • Primitive Racing 2" Suspension Lift
  • Primitive Racing Engine Skid Plate (The oil pan hangs awfully low)
  • Primitive Racing Trans/Mid Skid Plate
  • Primitive Racing R160 Rear Skid Plate (Such a baby diff, the R180 should come standard)
  • Primitive Racing Rocker Guards
  • MaxTrax
  • ARB Simpson III Rooftop Tent
  • ARB Simpson III RTT Annex
  • ARB 2500 Awning
  • ARB Awning Wind Break
  • ARB Inflator/Air Gauge
  • ARB 50QT Fridge Freezer
  • ARB Remote Fridge Monitor
  • ARB Fridge Slide
  • IPF 900 XLS LED Lights (One Spot and One Touring Pattern)

With all of this planned, my main concern is weight and room. I opted for the Primitive Racing kit as it includes King Springs with a stiffer spring rate (will be loaded down with gear). To help combat my second concern, I am building a trailer to help carry gear... but more on that in the near future ;).

Here are some shots from the last year.
1170527_1073094356087403_945084850_n.jpg
Testing out the articulation of the stock suspension. As you can see, there isn't much.

11243548_1603646906592718_1502469111_n.jpg
A pretty well known area in the Lehigh Valley - the Trexler Nature Preserve. This area is absolutely amazing if you're into hiking or wildlife.

12797774_810899492347709_588708545_n.jpg
Taken last year when I was camping at Woodford State Park in Vermont.

11191181_475039076009623_2090021045_n.jpg
This is the only photo I have of the Crosstrek in 'stock' form.

11356816_1444259572571208_331151262_n.jpg
This shot is from the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival last year.

12445830_1866424220250872_118300065_n.jpg
Taken at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center. This area is fascinating because of the damage done from the zinc mining that was done by Horsehead / New Jersey Zinc Company. In the last 20 years, the area has made strides in vegetation growth and recovery. I remember riding co-pilot with my dad and just being blown away with the lack of any vegetation. You really had to see to believe it.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ever since these came out we have liked them, just wish they had about 10 more inches of space for our two dogs behind the rear seats. I'm buying my wife a new Outback later this year that will remain stock aside from upgrading the tires.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Nice Crosstrek! Looking forward to your build. There are a few nicely built Crosstreks in the Portland area, too.

CurtStyler

Observer
Looks great! I think I've seen your photos on Instagram.

I love the XV, I almost bought one but got the Outback instead for the extra room. I'm pushing my little sister toward getting one. Part of me still wants one, I just like the toss-ability factor thanks to the shorter wheel base.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Aw dude, you're making me home sick. I grew up around Allentown. First 12 years at 24th and Allen. And then finished south, going to Southern Lehigh HS. Although all that was a long time ago. Is the zoo still there at Trexler? That water crossing was a prime picnic spot and we'd play in the steam encouraging the cars to go fast to splash us.

My foundest memories of camping were of a place called Rosemont, near Heislers dairy.

I loved growing up in the valley. Great place for growing up.

Welcome to ExPo. You've got quite the plan and a great start on accomplishing it. Don't apologize for your car ever. It's what you're doing with it that's important.

ADVSubaru

Observer
Ever since these came out we have liked them, just wish they had about 10 more inches of space for our two dogs behind the rear seats. I'm buying my wife a new Outback later this year that will remain stock aside from upgrading the tires.
I definitely agree there! I'm not sure what tires come on the Outbacks, but the Pirelli tires that came stock on our Crosstrek were terrible.

Nice Crosstrek! Looking forward to your build. There are a few nicely built Crosstreks in the Portland area, too.
Thanks! Definitely a lot of Subies getting more and more into offroading. There are some WICKED older Subies in the PNW!

Great looking Crosstrek!

I am also in PA, more so in Upper Bucks County.
Thanks! You're fairly local (I'm in Lehigh County). If you're planning on going to Vermont Overland or Expo East, let me know!

Looks great! I think I've seen your photos on Instagram.

I love the XV, I almost bought one but got the Outback instead for the extra room. I'm pushing my little sister toward getting one. Part of me still wants one, I just like the toss-ability factor thanks to the shorter wheel base.
The nimble size of the Crosstrek is nice but I wish it had a bit more room. The Forester is always an option, too.

Aw dude, you're making me home sick. I grew up around Allentown. First 12 years at 24th and Allen. And then finished south, going to Southern Lehigh HS. Although all that was a long time ago. Is the zoo still there at Trexler? That water crossing was a prime picnic spot and we'd play in the steam encouraging the cars to go fast to splash us.

My foundest memories of camping were of a place called Rosemont, near Heislers dairy.

I loved growing up in the valley. Great place for growing up.

Welcome to ExPo. You've got quite the plan and a great start on accomplishing it. Don't apologize for your car ever. It's what you're doing with it that's important.
Ah yes, I know the area well. I'm only a few miles away. The Zoo is still here (https://www.lvzoo.org/). I don't think I could ever apologize about being a Subaru fanatic ha! :wings:

p nut

butter
I like those Crosstrek's, and really, the whole Subaru line up in general. Our Outback has been solid for the past 4 years. Ours came with Continental tires. Not horrible, but not great, either.
_
That's a good looking rack as well. Too bad Outback's come with the stupid folding racks. I'd love to replace the whole thing one day.

ADVSubaru

Observer
I like those Crosstrek's, and really, the whole Subaru line up in general. Our Outback has been solid for the past 4 years. Ours came with Continental tires. Not horrible, but not great, either.
_
That's a good looking rack as well. Too bad Outback's come with the stupid folding racks. I'd love to replace the whole thing one day.

Checkout Yakima, they just came out with replacement crossbars for the rack. The collapsible crossbars are good in theory but they really limit what you can do.

This weekend is going to be busy...

Last edited:

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Someone's credit card got a workout. :Wow1:

If you find yourself in need of cool refreshment this summer, try the Teaberry ice cream at Heisler's.
I may have to become a member of the LV Zoo just for the old memories.
Now, if you'll just post a pic of the completed xtrek outside T-Town velodrome, and my trip down memory lane will be complete. Spent a number of Friday nights there banging on the wall.

The campground was a lot more rural when I was there. Now it's entirely RVs. Not for us anymore.

buddha

Adventurer
Nice looking Crosstrek! I've got a stock 14 that I'd love to build up one day, but for now remains my daily driver.

narddog

Observer
Christmas came early for you! The more I see these Crosstrek's, the more I want one. Look forward to seeing your adventures with the setup

ADVSubaru

Observer
Someone's credit card got a workout. :Wow1:

If you find yourself in need of cool refreshment this summer, try the Teaberry ice cream at Heisler's.
I may have to become a member of the LV Zoo just for the old memories.
Now, if you'll just post a pic of the completed xtrek outside T-Town velodrome, and my trip down memory lane will be complete. Spent a number of Friday nights there banging on the wall.

The campground was a lot more rural when I was there. Now it's entirely RVs. Not for us anymore.
I'll keep that in mind! I've actually never been to the velodrome. I'll have to check it out one day!

Nice looking Crosstrek! I've got a stock 14 that I'd love to build up one day, but for now remains my daily driver.
Leave it stock for as long as you can because once you start you cant stop ha!

Christmas came early for you! The more I see these Crosstrek's, the more I want one. Look forward to seeing your adventures with the setup
Felt like it was Christmas today since it snowed!

I managed to install the RTT and awning today, while it snowed with high winds. I wish I had a garage!

ADVSubaru

Observer
Looks real nice I like crosstreks, following your build :)

Thanks!

So there is a small change regarding the auxiliary lighting. I had originally wanted the ARB Intensity lights but they were above my budget so I had ordered the IPF 968CSG. The IPF 968CSG are solid halogen lights but they weren't really what I wanted. Well, right after getting the IPF 968CSG, ARB sent us the new IPF 900 XLS lights. I immediately bought the only set we had. This is a brand new light and I believe these are some of the first photos of them being used. Sorry they aren't the greatest photos, it was freezing out with high winds and I didn't have my tripod... but I'm just way too excited about these not to share! Pictured is a friend holding the spot pattern - the tree's in the distance are just over ~1,660 feet away. The touring (driving) light pattern had no problem lighting up the tree's either. I'll take some better shots of the lights in action this weekend after they are mounted! They pack quite a punch for the money and I cannot recommend them enough. I opted for one spot and one touring (driving) pattern. That way I can reach out and light up any wildlife before they pose a danger to the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles