Tundra rear bumper ideas

Cleanmiss

Hey guys and gals! First time poster, long time reader and fairly new member. I really need some help with my departure angle situation and I thought who better to ask for ideas than this group. I have an 01 tundra and I'm trying to come up with a rear bumper solution. I have considered fabbing one up myself BUT I'd like to hear some of your ideas. I have also been curious about modifying a 100 series or tacoma custom bumper to fit. The original plan was to build a quicky out of 2x4" 3/16 tubing but i want to keep it looking clean. Any help would be deeply appreciated! Thanks for your time
-Sam

AaronK

Explorer
Tacoma one would be too narrow. All of the UZJ100 ones I've seen wrap around.
Fab is probably your best bet

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Cleanmiss

I do like how the 100 series wrap around, I planned on cutting the bed sides either way. But I think you're right I may just have to fab one up from scratch! Thanks much

Benc

Explorer
For high clearance a wrap around design will be your best option. The 100 series bumper would not be worth the effort. Here is one I did on an 04 and my 100 series bumper for compression
262ef093cb020741909c69ed23eae6bc.jpg
0024c25388c5a3817f6690f1d793c4a1.jpg
d551bf7f81fbe17277711ca2846631fe.jpg
ac2c224e0db12fdf97dea349e1e90b42.jpg
8f4120285747caab70d364c2b8b46664.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Here's a simple one I built for my Tacoma. Could easily be replicated on a Tundra. Simple design but worked really well for me.

It evolved over the years to include a couple swingouts

AaronK

Explorer
Here's a simple one I built for my Tacoma. Could easily be replicated on a Tundra. Simple design but worked really well for me.

It evolved over the years to include a couple swingouts
Me likely. Got some other pictures for reference?

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Cleanmiss

I knew I asked the right place! I do like both styles and I'm definitely putting a tire swing out and a receiver for sure. Box Rocket do you have any side pics?

Box Rocket

There are lots of photos in the build thread for my Tacoma. It's a long thread so you may have to dig a little but lots of photos from the beginning through all its changes.
Search for Box Rocket 2003 Double Cab

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Nice bumpers! I purchased enough steel to build something similar to the fj80 4x4 labs rear bumper. I will make some adjustments that will fit my build a little better. I do plan on trimming the bed sides. Not that I'm planning on making a four door full size truck into a rock crawler. It should help me not damage the back end when turning around on a tighter trail.

This is the general plan. Measurements are general.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

I knew I asked the right place! I do like both styles and I'm definitely putting a tire swing out and a receiver for sure. Box Rocket do you have any side pics?

Not sure if you were able to dig into my build thread so here's a few different angle along with a variety of changes I made over the years.

dyogim

Explorer
Here's mine. I plan to add 2 swing outs for gas cans. I don't plan on mounting the tire on the swing outs. Would rather have it tucked away underneath the bed in the stock location.

EJm7ZK1o2Y0tuggd79TuB5SVelcbr7cm-1l--_WNdrJHI2P9ZC9gaBXCwuAAFd1LgjUMkF3Vce2KTJZZQoXn1_nvY1xhM7wJb1DLmuXaRtn00eRNlFSrnPOcnY1brVZmOoUAJTJrqi_DWcznOBLmxsrlFBoR-QJc8R6dAp8ENEbC6rmXshlCioPcvI2-HcLpUMznWTh1Asc4dKsSUZLBKWeRsBxaf80hdf0QmXcuOFtOMzSmY81MN0pvFh2UNibtuDFzp00VhCP5r0oyFP9D2OSiOcRDKlgpnfcguKIITW7EdV1Q-k4DY8fCgA1Hjmb8PXp4k-MnPwboMEsp0O_dFqtjwmLtuysbutGSwBvOTEIlc1kRZdR5bD_NnReeqRI3r1NW4EB_1psBBL6bjZpFqLsKjkgiijXlnXoUmAiLazWlovwkB0oxc0C5kiR0OTWVEgAdfJq-ewopiEBnQlMmUYx4L_quMjOJmJcvAxghCHsCeXAzNyqc4BUJHhte1yUvhQNOrWQW3ypV5GXihqN3-26Rd22_Zi9EwUTk2g9gCN3qmDcACgjPYTX_1qRJUIpcneBu=w1148-h808-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior