37's on Gx-470

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Anyone running big tires? Curious how the CV's and TRE's hold up. What low range gears are you guys running and can I under drive this thing? There's not a lot of definitive info out there. I want to compare the cost to build the GX vs rebuilding the Montero.

Baileyw7

Anyone running big tires? Curious how the CV's and TRE's hold up. What low range gears are you guys running and can I under drive this thing? There's not a lot of definitive info out there. I want to compare the cost to build the GX vs rebuilding the Montero.

I don't think any has even put 35's on one. You'd have to do just an insane amount of trimming to get them to fit.

kbahus

Adventurer
Time for an 80 series? They swallow 37's, have a low range gear option, upgradable axles, and are amazing to wheel. You can even get one with a Lexus badge!

rickashay

Explorer

Doesn't the GX share the same front end components with the 2nd gen Tacoma? I know guys running 37s on their Tacoma's (I am presuming the same or very similar CV's and TRE's) and they have had decent success. I know one of my friends has grenades a couple CVs and maybe one front diff but he does wheel it pretty hard (Rubicon, Dusy, etc). I think for your average wheeling and if you were diligent knowing they were there, you'd be ok. No front locked, fully flexed out, steering locked maneuvers. Getting them to fit though..... That will be a challenge! Eagerly awaiting...

Toasty

Every 80 series is older than my Montero AND just as abused and neglected, the reason i considered using the GX for heavy service is because it's been babied it's whole life and needs nothing. So in my mind it was a matter of lockers, gears, big tires and armor <just the fun stuff. Then i go hit the trails worry free for the next 5 years doing oil changes and brake jobs.
I know I'm lazy, the Monty needs IFS rebuilt, all new shocks, all new brakes (original 220k miles 100k with 35's) front and rear diffs re sealed, CV's repacked and rebooted, heater core, and i sold the crawler gears as i wanted a dual t-case setup so that needs to be built still along with new driveshafts. It's really not that much stuff considering what it's been through, I'm just itching to go wheeling.
The GX is pretty good offroad it just rides like a CJ5

Toasty

Not in the GX world anyway, in one of the above threads they were talking about grenading the clam! I can't even imagine blowing up a diff ever! I just did Rubicon (including old sluice which is the toughest part of the 'Con right now) and Fordyce in a Montero on 35's with 4.90's 4:1 Tcase and Lockers, still has its original 1994 CV's with nearly 200k miles and they've been rocked for the past 5 years and been on the Rubicon twice, Dusy Ershim and Fordyce and they don't give a ********. I've got two friends with the same setup but running 37's and only a couple smoked CVs between them and both had it coming by getting really nutty like pulling a dead truck up winch hill 3 on Fordyce.

So what's a "worry free" tire size for the GX?

kbahus

Adventurer
The GX is built on the 120 series platform so anything driveline or suspension should interchange between the FJ Cruiser, 4th gen 4runner, and Land Cruiser Prado. I would think the FJC crew would have the driveline and big tire stuff figured out?

Toasty

Looks like there are a few different options for CV's, the awesome part about owning a Yota. Always an upgrade!

Grouper

Observer
If your interested, Southern Style Offroad has two GX shop vehicles and both run 35's. I have taken many trips with these guys and their vehicles handle everything put in front of them. I would contact Kevin at Southern Style Offroad to get any specifics.

sso gx.jpg

Toasty

Thousands of dollars and all new IFS and axles to run big tires, turns out the reason there is a huge aftermarket is because the stock parts are dainty :( It's just not meant for heavy service, I was hoping this rig would replace my Montero. It's fine though i'll just say it replaced the Forester and the Outlander, the GX is a beast in that realm. It's a really good car, this keeps me from modifying it so it's ok. I'll just add some good stock sized all terrains and call it good. The new wheels i bought are 6x5.5 so that's why i was thinking maybe it would be less work to put the 37's on the GX than rebuild the Montero, not the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne