4wd Astro "Patches"

Stroverlander

Adventurer
First off Stroverlander your build is one of my go to references, so good.. My plan is to leave out that small rear section of headliner and make or modify the a/c duct. I decided to mount vent as far back as I could so I could cut the least roof braces and mount roof rack cross bar in front of vent. If it doesn't work out I guess ill be patching a big hole.

Hey, thanks zerskier. I figured you knew about the rear a/c duct since you'd already mounted the fan so just put it out there for general reference.

How do you like the Rhino tracks and any photos of install from inside the van?

zerskier

Observer
Hey, thanks zerskier. I figured you knew about the rear a/c duct since you'd already mounted the fan so just put it out there for general reference.

How do you like the Rhino tracks and any photos of install from inside the van?

The tracks seem pretty nice for the price (108 buck on ebay). I will have some better feedback when I get the rack mounted.
sorry I didn't take any pics of the track install, im not the best at build threads. I get going on a project and forget the camera. lol The tracks attach with stainless steel 5mm closed end pop rivets. think there's 9 rivets per track. the bottom the track comes with double sided tape the full length of the track. I also buttered the holes drilled in the roof with silicone to hedge my bets on roof leaks. Layout of the tracks took a lot of measuring since the astro roof tapers and curves..

zerskier

Observer
finally a nice day to mount the roof rack and awning.. The only reason I got the roof rack is to mount the awning, but it might come in handy in the future if I up my solar capacity. The rack is a cross tread brand ladder rack. I chose this rack for the vertical sides, figured it would make a nice solid mount for the awning..
crosstrea.jpg
I first made mounting tabs that fit in the tracks, 3/16" flat stock drilled, tapped 3/8-16, then plug welded from the bottom.
IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg
drilled the racks uprights to accept the arb hardware.
IMG_3617.jpg
end result
IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg

zerskier

Observer
not much new to report, spring is here so trying to catch up on neglected chores. So Im starting to figure out my interior configuration. The trip Im planning this summer has me base camping in the Cooke City area of Montana. I will be bringing a fourwheeler with me to make getting around easyier. But with the smaller astro my big 4x4 Kawasaki just takes up to much room in the van, So I picked up this machine, a Suzuki Ozark. its a foot shorter in length and over 200lbs lighter than my 4x4 Kawasaki..
IMG_3638.jpg
this machine will give me a foot of storage lengthwise and almost 3' between the front of machine and front seats. I have enough area to take a nap when on the road and cant unload fourwheeler. Is defently a adjustment in size from my old extended E350.
IMG_3631.jpg IMG_3632.jpg IMG_3634.jpg
After years of traveling on motorcycle I travel pretty light, and I believe I will have enough storage room. Also im not traveling to north Africa or something so I can always purchase things along the way.
When I have camp set up I will use my xl thermarest
IMG_3640.jpg
next trip I will build a raised bed for storage but this should be fine for this trip.

zerskier

Observer
today some down and dirty window shades.. I cut the reflectix to fit behind the trim, then painted one side black, its surprising how well spray paint sticks to the stuff.. Not sure how much I will use them but they don't take up much room.
IMG_3647.jpg IMG_3649.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
today some down and dirty window shades.. I cut the reflectix to fit behind the trim, then painted one side black, its surprising how well spray paint sticks to the stuff.. Not sure how much I will use them but they don't take up much room.
View attachment 343813 View attachment 343809

I made reflectix window covers for my Astro as a last-minute fix right before I left for the 2011 Overland Expo. Worked so well that I ended up using them until just a couple of months ago, when I finally finished putting in curtains...

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
When I had my friend's quad in my van and my xr650l we put the quad through the side doors. It was a very tight fit but worked out well.
Maybe you could have more usable room???

zerskier

Observer
with space at a premium and this next trip being a solo endeavor I decided to ditch the passenger seat and use that space for my wheelchair.. I'm building a mount that uses the wheelchairs quick release axles for mounts. Mind the welds, I ran out of wire and had to use flux core with the wrong size tips, its a mess.. Its just tacked together but seems to fit pretty good, had to put the axle mount in the 20 ton press and bend it a little to match the wheelchairs camber..
IMG_3656.jpg IMG_3659.jpg IMG_3651.jpg

zerskier

Observer
When I had my friend's quad in my van and my xr650l we put the quad through the side doors. It was a very tight fit but worked out well.
Maybe you could have more usable room???

I think I could have done this with my old E350, but the astro is a little small.. I could go back to my beginnings and bring my old atc110, be alot of room.. BUt I don't think my back would appreciate that though.. lol
20140810_164326.jpg

nobodyhome

Adventurer
Heeeey, it's a ball buster 110, and his big brother the185!
My first atc was a 110, and yes your back will punish you for your indiscretion.
Little booger wild never hurt anyone, love the mod... Creative.

zerskier

Observer
todays mod is a controversial one but did it anyway, engine oil cooler removal.. Its not if your oil cooler lines will fail but when.. Pretty simple removal, remove oil filter, unbolt oil cooler lines from oil cooler adapter, remove two bolts holding adapter to engine block.

remove nipple from adapter, the nipple has a 10mm hex id..
IMG_3660.jpgIMG_3661.jpg
thread nipple into engine block, install new oil filter
IMG_3664.jpgIMG_3665.jpg
unthreaded cooler lines from radiator, plugged the ports, snaked the cooler lines out from under van. On inspection of the cooler lines they were on there way to failure, seeping around crimps..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles